Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Claiming tax back

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a student and have two jobs... I have paid a lot of tax which I've been told I can get back.

I have both P60s and have been told I need to write to them and send the P60s to Inland Revenue...

Is this true?

I need to know the exact procedure as I can't afford to loose this cash.

Also, how long will it take for the money to make it to my account? I am struggling desperately and my university can't offer financial help.

Comments

• Options
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/overpaid-thro-job.htm

Yup, you just write to your nearest tax office (can find the address via that link), including your original P60s and wait. Not sure how long it takes, sorry.
  • Options
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/overpaid-thro-job.htm

Yup, you just write to your nearest tax office (can find the address via that link), including your original P60s and wait. Not sure how long it takes, sorry.
    What do you say in the letter?
  • Options
    Dear Taxman,

I'm a student and have been charged tax for this year 07/08. I do not earn over the minimum earnings threshol and as such I would like to apply for my tax to be returned.

Please find enclosed my P60s as evidence of this.

SEND ME MY MONEYS :mad:

Yours Kindly,
    Namaste :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Dear Taxman,

I'm a student and have been charged tax for this year 07/08. I do not earn over the minimum earnings threshol and as such I would like to apply for my tax to be returned.

Please find enclosed my P60s as evidence of this.

SEND ME MY MONEYS :mad:

Yours Kindly,
    Namaste :)

What, is that it? Seriously?

How long will it take for the cash to come through?

I'd need it before the end of the month if possible. Our landlord charges interest on every day we miss our rent.

London is insane!
  • Options
    How come you were taxed in the first place?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    How come you were taxed in the first place?

Two jobs...

Can I claim back from the past two years, or just this year?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    What, is that it? Seriously?

How long will it take for the cash to come through?

I'd need it before the end of the month if possible. Our landlord charges interest on every day we miss our rent.

London is insane!

Well I assume so. I've no idea how long it would take to come through, but any sane minded person could read your letter and understand what you want, and it should be fairly straightforward to do. If you leave your contact details on the letter as per the norm they could easily contact you if the need to as well.

My advice actually would be to head down in person or phone your local tax office as they're probably better able to advise :), but I can't expect it's much more complicated that just a brief letter explaining what you want, who you are (include name / NI number etc.) and your evidence to back it up.
    Two jobs...

Can I claim back from the past two years, or just this year?

Past 6 years
  • Options
    hmmm is it still the same if you have 2 jobs tho? shouldnt you have to pay tax on the 2nd job or something? sure i heard something like that....

students dont just not have to pay tax, its usually they dont earn enough to pay tax
  • Options
    Woot, I'm not the only one, although am stuck at a different point, waiting for a P60....

Best bet as starting point is to ring your tax office. There should be a number on one of the P60s. They can then talk you through what you need to do next, they should also be able to work out whether you are due a rebate and roughly how much. They'll also tell you what paper work you need to send them, from when I spoke to them it sounded like a very simple form that they can either send you, or you can print off the web, and the various P60s or P45s.

Students are not exempt from tax just because by being a student, but you should only pay tax on earnings over £5000 (ish). Generally students are due rebates because of their low incomes.

Bas news is, that I've never heard of the money coming back that fast....
  • Options
    hmmm is it still the same if you have 2 jobs tho? shouldnt you have to pay tax on the 2nd job or something? sure i heard something like that....

students dont just not have to pay tax, its usually they dont earn enough to pay tax

Basically from my understanding, is that when you have a job they work out an estimate of how much tax you should be paying. If you have 1 full time job and are on the right tax rate, and pay for example 20% tax on your salary a month, and at the end of the year it all works out above board it's fine.

But the actual way taxation works, is it takes every penny you've earnt through the financial year (april to april? lol I'm supposed to be doing business, too :p), and then the first £5000 is tax free completely. the next bit after that is charged at a low rate, and after that it goes up in rates until it gets quite high.

So it doesn't matter if you have 5 jobs for one month, because if you earned £5000, that's the same as earning £5000 in one job over 5 months. Except the way they predict your tax, if you are earning £5000 a month they will assume you're going to earn something like £60k for the year and take monthly deductions for that... which for students who often don't work the full year / or stay in one job is going to be massively overestimating their tax.

If you have evidence of how much you got paid / and paid in tax over the financial year (P60), you show that to them and tell them you've been overcharged and voila!
  • Options
    Past 6 years

So in sending this letter, I'd get this year and the last?

Fair play.

I shall do it tomorrow!
  • Options
    Doesn't matter.
  • Options
    So in sending this letter, I'd get this year and the last?

Fair play.

I shall do it tomorrow!

I think so, but I think you need P60s for each year if that makes sense? :) Because they treat each year as a seperate refund... as far as I know!
  • Options
    I think so, but I think you need P60s for each year if that makes sense? :) Because they treat each year as a seperate refund... as far as I know!

:yes: You need to do seperate letters for each tax year your claming and you can clain for the last six tax years is nessacery. If you get stuck give HMRC a call, there is a sepecific form for tax rebates but for the life of me I cant remember the name/code.

The refunds wont come fast, but they will get to you eventually.
  • Options
    I tried to claim for the 2007/2008 year and had a letter back saying they wanted a P45 for a job I had for 3 days in June 2005 (although stupid incompetent company put down that I left on 18 September 2006 - I don't even know where they got that from!). I haven't got a P45 or even a payslip for them as they never sent me one and we parted on very bad terms so it isn't feasible for me to ask for one. The person on the phone said they wouldn't be able to process my 2007/8 year refund without it - does anyone know why as she couldn't erxplain it to me?
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    I tried to claim for the 2007/2008 year and had a letter back saying they wanted a P45 for a job I had for 3 days in June 2005 (although stupid incompetent company put down that I left on 18 September 2006 - I don't even know where they got that from!). I haven't got a P45 or even a payslip for them as they never sent me one and we parted on very bad terms so it isn't feasible for me to ask for one.

It is illegal for a company to pay you without giving you a payslip. You if you worked for this comapny and got paid then you need proof you where employed and what you where paid with any deductions. It is crap but HMRC rules are rather tight on proof of pay. The only thing you can do is request a statement of pay from the company, but if you left on bad terms that probably isnt feasible.

Why would they want a P45 for 05 when your claiming for 07/08? I can understand if it was in the same tax year. :confused: