Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Weekly plan ideas

2»

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    With all this talk of chicken Bunnie i could come round and butter your breasts, then i'd do you something to eat :D

oooh sounds like fun :flirt: use lurpak spreadable though eh!

GhostGirl, I am leaving anyway, so fingers crossed new place has one.

to be honest, I am moving due to the lack of microwave!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This might help to keep your food warm when you don't have access to a microwave - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!11614 :)
  • Options
    On the subject of time and planning, I buy all my veg on a Sunday, and prepare them for the week ahead by doing all the washing, peeling and chopping there and then, then putting them into freezer bags and keeping them at the bottom of the fridge. I find it saves so much time on a weekday to just grab a couple of handfuls and put them onto cook, rather than having to prepare them everyday.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    On the subject of time and planning, I buy all my veg on a Sunday, and prepare them for the week ahead by doing all the washing, peeling and chopping there and then, then putting them into freezer bags and keeping them at the bottom of the fridge. I find it saves so much time on a weekday to just grab a couple of handfuls and put them onto cook, rather than having to prepare them everyday.

I do that with lettice in the summer! But it only lasts for the beginning of the week but is so much cheaper than buying pre cut stuff in bags.
  • Options
    One meal I love, dont really think its that healthy tho.... steak and ale pie with mash and a yorkie pudding. I buy them Frey Bentos steak and ale pie, its loevly:yum: It only takes about 40 mins!
  • Options
    Oh, just cook from scratch and avoid processed crap.

I'm kinda resolving to live a lot more frugal this year... Typical staples in my cupboard/freezer tend to be:

Canned beans
    Lentils
    TVP
    Herbs and spices
    Garlic
    Salt
    Pasta (wholemeal, sometimes spelt depending on cash)
    Brown rice (it's better for you)
    Bread
    Sweet corn
    Baked beans
    Cous cous

Then just go from there...
  • Options
    This might help to keep your food warm when you don't have access to a microwave - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!11614 :)

oh that is a good idea, a little out of my price range unfortunately.

Go_away that is a fab idea, would save so much time and effort.
  • Options
    GhostGirl wrote: »
    buy turkey pieces insetad of chicken, thats what I do for currys etc.

Its quite a bit cheaper.

this is what i do. diced turkey thigh is cheapest usually. breast is about 60% more.
  • Options
    if you like pasta you could try puttanesca and/or these two recipes a couple of the days in the week

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/linguine-with-sardines-chilli-and-capers,738,RC.html

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/spaghetti-with-anchovies-mushrooms-and-olives,744,RC.html

making them takes about 15-20 minutes and jars of anchovies/capers/olives while costing a quid or two each last a bit. good for yer veg count and omega 3 bs too.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Oh, just cook from scratch and avoid processed crap.

I'm kinda resolving to live a lot more frugal this year... Typical staples in my cupboard/freezer tend to be:

Canned beans
    Lentils
    TVP
    Herbs and spices
    Garlic
    Salt
    Pasta (wholemeal, sometimes spelt depending on cash)
    Brown rice (it's better for you)
    Bread
    Sweet corn
    Baked beans
    Cous cous

Then just go from there...

I have some great TVP recipes
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I'm gonna stick this thread as I think it will be an awesome source of reference for people (me included!) :thumb:
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I'm gonna stick this thread as I think it will be an awesome source of reference for people (me included!) :thumb:

I agree :yes:

Cheers Helen
  • Options
    I have just made a potato salad, but not the ordinary sort.

Thought I would share.

one tin of potatoes (about 20p)
    lettuce
    spinach leaves
    basil
    drizzle of extra virgin
    drizzle of white wine vinegar
    a little grated cheese to sprinkle

Nice :yum:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    My housemate has been cooking really yummy salmon this week:

Slice the salmon and stuff with crushed garlic, coat in olive oil and then smooth some fresh yoghurt over the top and then bake.

Serve with veggies - broccoli and new potatoes being my personal choice.

Very quick, simple and yummy!
  • Options
    Fresh salmon fillets are on offer at Morrisons at the moment btw :)
  • Options
    That sounds lovely :)
  • Options
    I found this thread on www.yearofwellbeing.com today and the recipe below is not that expensive and really tasty!! Plus buying tofu is always cheeper than ordinary meat!

SOYA TOFU MANICOTTI

When I have friends over we often make this Soya-Tofu-Manicotti dish. It is really tasty, suitable for vegetarians and quite fun to cook. Let me know what you think about it!

INGREDIENTS:
    1 pound Manicotti
    1 pound Alpro soya tofu mince (mashed)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup Alpro soya milk
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp sugar
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 tbsp fresh minced parsley
    1 cup chopped fresh spinach
    4 cups spaghetti sauce

PREPARATION:
    Preheat the oven to 180C degrees. Boil the manicotti for approximately 5 minutes (or less) , which is half of the recommended time.

Stir the mashed tofu, garlic, soya milk, olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper, parsley and spinach together in a large mixing bowl.

Spread out the spaghetti sauce over a baking pan.

Gently spoon the tofu mixture into each manicotti until they are all full. Place the filled manicotti noodles in one layer on top of the spaghetti sauce.

Pour the remaining sauce over the stuffed noodles. Cover the pan tightly with aluminium foil and bake for 30 minutes or until the sauce bubbles.