Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Doing a masters abroad!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So I'm aware that Swedish Masters courses don't have tuition fees and that grants and scholarships are available (although I don't know if they are for British students)...

I looked in to it out of curiousity and found a course which would be perfect for me and which I can't find in the UK!

It's a sustainability type course, so I'll need to brush up on my environmental science... Anyway....

I was wondering if people know what kind of grants or loans are available from the UK to do Masters courses abroad?

I'm aware I can have a part time job to support my studies, so that'll take some of the pressure off... But is it realistic to do a Masters in another country?

I mean with what financial help one can get...

Looks good and I am seriously considering going for this course for entry in 2010... So I can save up some cash and get some work experience first.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Where are you thinking of going? Check that university's website and there should be a page called financial assistance for international students or something of that ilk. That should give you a good starting place to check what kind of funding might be out there. Bear in mind that getting funding is really competitive and there will be deadlines and stuff, so being organised is key. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Where are you thinking of going? Check that university's website and there should be a page called financial assistance for international students or something of that ilk. That should give you a good starting place to check what kind of funding might be out there. Bear in mind that getting funding is really competitive and there will be deadlines and stuff, so being organised is key. Good luck! :)

Hrmm nah... I'm not applying for until say... 2010!

And it's Lund, which is a top university for an environmental degree. Hopefully I'll get a 2:1 and my environmental work will look good in my favour!
  • Options
    I have done erasmus, and it wasn't possible for me to use it for attending a degree course abroad, only "standalone courses". However, since many of these courses may be part of a degree, then one would be exempted for these courses if you are admitted to a masters programme should you choose to stay longer than the allowed time for an erasmus scheme.

Is it possible to get a degree abroad? In general, yes, especially if it's a familiar subject compared to what you're doing now. Most textbooks in natural sciences are often in english anyway, but depending on your course, teaching might be held in swedish. (Look at the course page to see the teaching language). In general, you'll be just fine, even if swedes are more stooopid than Norwegians :P, most have an excellent command of english.

I'd also look carefully through the uni pages to see if any of the scholarships apply to eu-students - scrutinize everything ;)
    But if you build up a good equity before leaving home and do take a part time job, you could be fine even without extra scholarship funding.

Another piece of advice is to look for a part time job well in advance as well, as this might be slightly harder unless you speak swedish. Given enough time you should be able to find work where you can speak english.
  • Options
    I looked at both Norway and Holland for doing my MSc. I was accepted to the University of Oslo and two Dutch universities. Like Sweden there are no tuition fees in Norway so the course would have been free but the living costs in Norway are much more than here in the UK and as T-Kay pointed out it can be hard to get a part-time job when you don't speak the language.

I chose to come to Holland instead. The tuition fee is much less than for a similar MSc in the UK, 1500 euro (about £1200) as compared to about £3000 at home and the living costs are also much lower. I pay 250 euro (£196) per month for my rent inclusive of bills and internet. It can actually work out cheaper to study for your MSc abroad. If you have any questions about my experience, feel free to ask.

As for funding, I can only speak for the Scottish system and it doesn't fund students for Masters in general and certainly not abroad but maybe it's different in England. I recommend you take a look at www.studyinsweden.se for ideas and also look at the Swedish embassy homepage and also research councils for your line of study for other funding possibilities. You could also have a good look at the Lund website as well as the might have an international student section.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    And it's Lund

How cool! My dad did his PhD in Lund and I was born there. :D

Afraid I can't offer any help. :p
  • Options
    do you speak swedish? - to be fair i would say get the langauge behind you first then consider going to study.
  • Options
    You could try the US, granted their courses can be massively expensive, but the universities there also have a lot more money, so scholarships and grants are more plentiful.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    You could try the US, granted their courses can be massively expensive, but the universities there also have a lot more money, so scholarships and grants are more plentiful.
    Do they offer them to british students?

Most just seem to offer them for students in African and Asian countries... Well, I thought.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    do you speak swedish? - to be fair i would say get the langauge behind you first then consider going to study.
    The course is English spoken... But I'd learn a new language anyway, not only to get around but also for the challenge and to be polite.
  • Options
    I know a guy from the USA that studied in Sweden - was free and all BUT to get into the best places you have to apply really early.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I know a guy from the USA that studied in Sweden - was free and all BUT to get into the best places you have to apply really early.
    Yeah... I will next year.

Are degrees from another country harder to get jobs with?
  • Options
    It probably depends what job it is - but its always good to check which university is the best one for the course you want to do - though there are obviously a few universities both in the UK and overseas which have good names.

However in general as long as its somewhere with a good name then it will add to your CV and make you look more interesting and independent - if its somewhere noone has ever heard of they may think you you've bought some dodgy degree off the internet or something.
  • Options
    Are degrees from another country harder to get jobs with?
    I would have thought getting one in a different country would look even better. It would show a lot more than just what you studied there.

i suppose how 'corrupt' or 'dodgy' a country is seen will make a difference, so choosing a scandanavian can only be good.

Would the jobs you're after require a high grade in a specific degree, or a decent grade and common sence from a range of degrees?
  • Options
    Do they offer them to british students?

Most just seem to offer them for students in African and Asian countries... Well, I thought.

Yes, I know a woman who went over to the US to do her masters, got it all paid for including accomodation. You do have to be a good candidate though.
  • Options
    Namaste - This will probably be of interest to you;

http://www.fulbright.co.uk/eas/studyus/postgraduate/index.html
  • Options
    yeah, I'm only expecting a 2:1... wonder if that would be accepted along with work and volunteering.
  • Options
    You dont have to get a first, obviously it helps but its far from the whole picture, they are looking for people who are well rounded and are going to add to the course and the university.
  • Options
    I know someone who was a postgrad in Australia, I think they did get some kind of scholarship but I'm sure they also said the tuition fees/overall cost even without that worked out very similar to studying here.