Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a new job without telling your current employer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
right i am looking for a new job i have applied for one and have an interview, the trouble is that i am supposed to be working on the day of the arranged interview and have phoned the company and asked if it can be changed but they cannot change it to my day off.

i don't want to tell my current employers that i am looking for another job because they are currently helping me and showing encouragement to get promotion and i am worried that if they find out that they are going to think that my heart is not in the job.

has anyone else been in a situation like this?? i guess Im going to have to tell them anyway

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tell them you have a dentist appointment. It's pretty urgent cause you have toothache, and there's only one slot you can have in the next week :thumb:
    If you cant take a days holiday, pull a sickie. :thumb:
    this is YOUR life, dude

there are a number of interesting points raised here - firstly, why do you want to chang jobs ? does it not interest you anymore ? in which case, your heart isn't in it, and your employer would be right in feeling you are not committed but, this is the real world and not a practise run ... you should never stay in a job you dislike .. why waste your valuable time ?

secondly, what is your relationship with your current employer ? would it be a matter of guilt letting them down to attend your interview ? if so, again, this is not a pratice run in Life. the only guilt you should feel is towards yourself at wasting yourself on something you aren't committed to.

as an employer of people I can tell you that an employee taking a sicky cause all sorts of problems .. can you not arrange to swop a shift with another colleague ?

finally, if your current employer is 'helping you' as you say .. why are they doing that ? it can only be because they value you and see a future for you within their business. so, what you need to ask yourself is , is the new job you want to apply for the 'greener grass' you realy think it is ? does it offer the lifestyle and opportunities you want ? will the new employer take your development as seriously as your current one ? if the answer is 'yes', again, it's not a practice run ... go for it. but be committed .. going half heartedly because you don't want to upset your current employer is not the right way, and will seriously affect your mental commitment to the interview. do you want the job ? if so .. commit and hang the consequences.

it's your Life, dude ... sieze the day.
    If you can take a days leave, go for that option.

If not, and it's a shift type job where you can swap with someone then tell them you have an important personal appointment, or some other such waffle.

You haven't got much to gain by telling the current employer you are going for an interview somewhere else, and potentially a lot to lose.
    got a plumber coming for leaky pipes, in this afternoon! bye