Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scam from Littlewoods?

I got this letter from the Littlewoods catalogue shop promising me with a cash value between £15 and £30,000. I didn't do anything to get this letter. I'm not a Littlewoods member or such, and totally honest, I have never shopped at Littlewoods. How the hell did they get my details? It's too good to be true. Here is how it reads:

bn_logo_littlewoods_uk.gif

"It gives me great pleasure to inform you that you have been chosen to receive a special award. An amount of money has already been reserved for you, and as soon as we receive your authorisation, we will send it to you. It could be anything from £15 upt to £1,000, £5,000 or even £30,000 cash to spend as you wish.

Waiting for the catch, well there isn't one. We just thought we'd like to celebrate the launch of the Littlewoods book. All you need to do is return the Claim Form below in the envelope provided (even the postage is free).

However, please note: we are unable to release your award unless we hear from you. In the event of us not hearing from you your award will, unfortunately, have to be forfeited and cannot be re-offered at a later date - please do not miss this chance.
"
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i get stuff from littlewoods and have never bought anything from there. think i must have filled out some sort of form ages ago tho... if it's free postage and they're not asking you to pay anything it sounds ok?
    what details are they asking you for?
    They're asking for my date of birth and my signature. They already have my full name.

I have my suspicion that when I respond, the "money" will turn out to be a loan, and that my signature will commit myself to it. Not good if that's the case.
    Yeah I've been getting stuff from them saying I was 1 of 6 picked to win some cash. But when I read the small print you had to sign up to a credit agreement. So I've been throwing it away. I'm surprised such a big reputable company would do this. I've never bought anything from them either so god knows how they got my details. It's quite worrying as I'm always careful to make sure anything I give my details to has a privacy policy.
    Cheers Kat and Ballerina.

I now know what I can use my recycling bin for :-)
    I've had several like this from Littlewoods, on reading the small print it is actually a loan for that amount at a really shitty rate of interest. It seems very deceitful to me.
    I'm sure, if you check the small print, that if you've won £15 it'll be £15 off your first order with them. It's not a scam as such, i.e. it is run by Littlewoods and they're not going to fleece your bank account, but they haven't had this fantastic prize draw and you've been picked out as a winner. They've sent out 10,000's (most probably).

They'd need your D.O.B. and signature as they give credit on their catalogue purchases.
    I get those letters quite regulary. There just trying to get you to sign up and get a credit account with them. I just send them back unknown at address (as with all my unsolicted mail nowdays)
    i get these letters too.. in my opinion if it seems to good to be true then it isnt and bin it :)