Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is this right/legal?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok so my boyfriend started a new job in a small contact lens call centre last week, along with 6 other new starts. he found out the other day that his salary will be less then the rest of them, apparently because he "performed less well than the rest in the interview".

now ive no knowledge of contract and business stuff but that sounds a tad strange to me?? or is it normal practice? cant say ive ever heard of it tbh. any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    paperdoll wrote: »
    ok so my boyfriend started a new job in a small contact lens call centre last week, along with 6 other new starts. he found out the other day that his salary will be less then the rest of them, apparently because he "performed less well than the rest in the interview".

now ive no knowledge of contract and business stuff but that sounds a tad strange to me?? or is it normal practice? cant say ive ever heard of it tbh. any advice appreciated.

If he is doing the same role as the others and has the same job title he should be entitled to the same pay as them IMO! I've never heard of people being payed less due to that reason, normally they are just given another job description with lower pay.

It doesn't sound right though :no:
  • Options
    if he signed a contract on those terms i don't see how he can complain?
  • Options
    this is a strange 1 ive never come across some one being paid low because they did not perform as well as the others in the interview.. it is a little discrimantory as then why did they hire him??
    he should be getting the same wages as his co workers if he is doing a similar job i.e. has the same job title..
  • Options
    It's completely possible and allowed that he has been given a different role/level of responsibility based on different interview performance.

IF he is doing exactly the same job, using the same skills and is equally as competent then he is entitled to the same pay.
  • Options
    IF he is doing exactly the same job, using the same skills and is equally as competent then he is entitled to the same pay.
    yep.
    qualifications can enter the equasion of how much to pay but interview performace does sound a bit dodgy imo.
  • Options
    not actually sure if he has signed a contract with them yet...will check that out. And he will be doing the same work as the rest of the folk he's starting with. they're all being trained together on the same stuff. its just call centre stuff, which he has a few years previous experience of, plus he has an HND in business somethingorother. so i dont think its a case of lack of experience/qualifications.

just seems a bit strange, really :confused:
  • Options
    He can either argue about it, or take the job as it is.