Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Didn't Get Paid - Being Made To Wait

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We should have been paid yesterday but due to an error " Gremlins in the system " apparently, we didn't. The manager of my store [who is rightly raging about it just as we are] has been on & off the phone to Head Office about it and before I finished this afternoon he showed me emails he had received and ones he'd sent regarding the matter, they've basically said we HAVE to wait until next Friday to get OUR money.

They did manage to pay us something [holiday pay and a couple of extra hours that couldn't go through as normal] however it isn't enough, besides the fact that It is our wages they are now seemingly withholding from us, I worked too bloody hard to earn it and I should be kept waiting for it when other peoples pay went through fine.

How do they expect us to get by for the next week exactly ? The manager are me were discussing it and he said to me, are they going to reimburse people who get bank charges against them because they haven't been paid through no fault of their own, and it's true.

We know they could work through it and have it set up to be paid into our banks much sooner but they don't seem willing do it. Apparently they cannot pay us through the usual method however there is a backup system could set up to pay us but they don't seem to want to do that, instead they want to wait until the secondary payroll date comes around, which is next Friday.

The main question is do I/we have any rights here ? Can I in some way force them to pay us, by us I mean that there was more than just me affected however not the whole store just handful of us. Surely they can't just make us wait a week whilst everyone else gets on with it because they were paid perfectly fine ? I must have some rights !?

I am so annoyed as are the other people in the shop of course. The area manager apparently confirmed that we will have to wait until the secondary payroll period comes around but again it's alright for him and those at head office they all got paid fine. I NEED that money !

Please tell me there are options open to me other than having to wait it out ?

They won't even apologise for it, not a single apology. The company I work for are so full of incompetence it's off the scale :grump:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It depends on what you contract for pay is, but making a few of you wait when everyone else has got paid does seem unfair. Payroll systems do fail sometimes (The BACS system does go haywire every now and again), but they should be paying you asap. All you can do is complain to you area manager and take it as far up as you can.

I dont if its worth giving ACAS a call or not...
    sooooooooo
    I used to work on the bank side and they can definately put the payment through if they want to. Get them to get in touch with their business support team at the bank.

Out of order really, I mean these things go wrong but they should be making the best efforts to put them right.
    BACS is the usual way but I'm told there is also CHAPS [I assume that's the right spelling of it] which is the back up system they could use to pay us in place of BACS.

As for the area manager that's a no go, he was in the store today and as the girl said in her email he has confirmed that next Friday is the day they will pay us. Seems like I'm stuck then.

oh Shyboy I completely agree, the girl said in her email she could see that it had all been put forward onto the system correctly but just had not been paid correctly so from that I know that if she can see it on her systems they can pay it to us fine.

I'd complain but what's the poiint they won't do anything about it :(

Thank you all though
    problem with chaps is if a recall correctly it has high charges associated with it. BACS is the banks clearing system which takes around 3 days, and can be recalled prior to payment. But why can't they push it through quickly? Why do they need to wait until next friday. It just seems like they're going to put you on next weeks payroll rather than faff about midweeking putting you through seperately, imo. Of course I don't know where you work and don't know the systems but having worked on the exact side of the bank that deals with this kind of stuff if you fuck up you CAN put things through in other ways.
    The manager spoke to be about it today again, he's been at them again throughot the day but they have essentially confirmed that they will not pay us until next friday as this is the secondary pay date. They point blank refuse to do anything about it until then.

We were talking about complaining but we can't as the people who you would compalin to already know and they don't care, and certainly the folk who should be dealing with this problem don't care either so can't complain to them. He did suggest I write a formal complain and explain what them not paying us has done but I know what would happen if I do that I.E nothing will be done about it.

What a shit it is though. Not paid through no fault of our own and we have to suffer for it.

Thanks for your other reply Shyboy and thank you GWST.
    Don't do any work until you've been paid :D

hehe

They can send a CHAPS payment, and you'd think that if they really gave a stuff, then that's what they would do.

CHAPS payments are a same day transfer. Usually if done before 2pm, they reach the recipient account the same working day.

There are charges associated with this, as shyboy said - for an individual (i.e. in the circumstances of a house purchase) to use this facility, the banks charge £20 for it if it is in UK sterling.

However, i'm not sure if companies will either get it cheaper or free - might be worth checking with APACS who deal with all banking systems/payment systems.

Hope u get paid soon!

You want to borrow a fiver? ;)
    Withholding pay would be taken extremely seriously by a tribunal, but it's unlikely that that would take place before next week.
    See that's what I said, withholding wages is a serious no-no which is effectively what they are doing as they have a couple of options open to them they just refuse to take the easy route and do it.

It looks like their is nothing I can do to get the money before Friday now regardless of what I do. I still think I should/will complain and preferably to a body outside of the company as I know they won't take the complaint and actually act upon it.

I also doubt they will reimburse us in anyway way at all for delaying our wages.
    CHAPS is expensive and in old companies I worked for we did used to get charged £15-£20 for each one. The company shoudl still be trying to reimburse your before next friday, not to do so shoes what they think of their staff. I've done CHAPS/other payment methods more then once when BACS has cocked up when I used to do payroll.

Do an offical complaint, encourage everybody else who didnt get paid to do one as well, and ask for any bank fees you incur because of this back of the company.
    Regarding CHAPS, I havent heard anything stating they won't do it because they might face a charge for using it it just seems like they don't want to take the easy route here.

We feel that the woman he's been talking to has fucked up and doesnt want it to go higher and so is taking her sweet time in sorting it, that and the company just seem to only want to pay people on the second payroll date, like they absolutely INSIST that it happens next Friday !

I will speak to the other staff and see if we can each get a written formal complaint and send it off, my boss even suggested emailing head office from the shop with the complain so we might do that.

The most shocking part is that they are withholding our wages through no fault of our own and they have an easy option to pay people but just point blank refuse to take that avenue. Why ? Who really knows.
    Yea I think the real reason they're not rushing it through is because it's just easier to add you onto next weeks payroll. I only experienced them from the bank side but its pretty easy to do if it's already established, you just say who needs paying what and when. Presumably to send a chaps payment they'd have to dig out bank records and what not. Still, there are other options. But in all honesty it seems like they just want to let it slide until next week.

I wouldn't try at this point arguing for it right now, because you're only going to save two or three days at this point and the hassle isn't worth it. But I think writing a formal complaint is completely fair, and of course any incurred bank charges I would expect your company to redeem for you.
    edn1 wrote: »
    We should have been paid yesterday but due to an error " Gremlins in the system " apparently, we didn't. The manager of my store [who is rightly raging about it just as we are] has been on & off the phone to Head Office about it and before I finished this afternoon he showed me emails he had received and ones he'd sent regarding the matter, they've basically said we HAVE to wait until next Friday to get OUR money.

They did manage to pay us something [holiday pay and a couple of extra hours that couldn't go through as normal] however it isn't enough, besides the fact that It is our wages they are now seemingly withholding from us, I worked too bloody hard to earn it and I should be kept waiting for it when other peoples pay went through fine.

How do they expect us to get by for the next week exactly ? The manager are me were discussing it and he said to me, are they going to reimburse people who get bank charges against them because they haven't been paid through no fault of their own, and it's true.

We know they could work through it and have it set up to be paid into our banks much sooner but they don't seem willing do it. Apparently they cannot pay us through the usual method however there is a backup system could set up to pay us but they don't seem to want to do that, instead they want to wait until the secondary payroll date comes around, which is next Friday.

The main question is do I/we have any rights here ? Can I in some way force them to pay us, by us I mean that there was more than just me affected however not the whole store just handful of us. Surely they can't just make us wait a week whilst everyone else gets on with it because they were paid perfectly fine ? I must have some rights !?

I am so annoyed as are the other people in the shop of course. The area manager apparently confirmed that we will have to wait until the secondary payroll period comes around but again it's alright for him and those at head office they all got paid fine. I NEED that money !

Please tell me there are options open to me other than having to wait it out ?

They won't even apologise for it, not a single apology. The company I work for are so full of incompetence it's off the scale :grump:
    i didnt get paid properly last friday. phoned up monday morning and they had it in there by 6pm. :D