Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Losing weight with a busy schedule

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my weight has been pretty much stable since I started back at university, however I'd like to lose a little, just to feel a bit healthier.

I'm vegan, so I make sure I eat a balanced diet, I don't really drink that often and I walk everywhere...

I thought I'd lose weight naturally, going vegan (apparently I have, but then I haven't noticed), but I'd like to lose some more. I'm not massively fat and I don't look like a size 16.

Anyway, the problem is that I am busy nearly every day, quite literally without breaks. I was considering taking up swimming but I literally don't have time during the week and prices go up o a weekend (Ok, poor excuse.... but kids ain't in the pool during the week and £3.50 or whatever it costs is a lot when you can't do a length without bumping in to a toddler). I have a dislike of gyms because my dyspraxia.

Does anybody have any advice on how I could drop a few kilos?

Note also, I'm considering joining evening classes, but most things run from 6-8 and I don't get home until 8:30.

Comments

• Options
    I bought a stepper off amazon for £50 because I didn't have time to go to the gym, there isn't one near me so it would mean paying for bus fare, then the gym fee. I can't do jogging/running because a) I'm crap at it b) it's boring c) It causes my knees to cramp up. The stepper was really good because it had a clock so i could count calories etc.I managed to lose 1/2 stone just eating less and going on it reguarly. That was until my brother broke it the other day. :rolleyes:
    Might sound expensive, but it's just the same as adding up gym/travel costs. If you hunt you can get good deals.
  • Options
  • Options
    There is no diet better than careful eating and ...

EXERCISE!!!

Just trying to lose weight via dietry means alone is usually bound for failure.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    There is no diet better than careful eating and ...

EXERCISE!!!

Just trying to lose weight via dietry means alone is usually bound for failure.
    :yes:

I know I know...

that's the thing, I walk an hour every day... maybe I should try swimming.
  • Options
    I'd also like to slim my stomach down a little bit and tone up a bit more.
    I can't afford the gym and I hate jogging because I feel that I look like a twat.

Ideas?
  • Options
    If there's fat overlying your abdominal muscles, you'll have to lose that before you start to see definition, and the only way that'll happen is if you lose body fat overall.

What do you eat on an average day, including alcohol in a week? What's your current activity level?

You can invest in a good pair of adjustable dumbbells from Argos (they're about £20) and work on building muscle that way. Don't waste your time doing sit-ups unless you want to give your hip flexors a good workout.

Also: Abdominal training
  • Options
    oooh, I know! I got a trampette a couple of weeks ago, £15 from Argos-I spend 15mins on almost everyday, and I can feel a difference already-dunno if Ive lost weight, but def feel more toned and my muscles ache a bit, must be doing some good!!
  • Options
    duno if they do this in your local pool but ive found swimming in the morning to be the best way to fit in exercise my pool opens at 7 so i can go before uni...does mean a really really early morning though! also id recommend a stepper as well i got one from argos a while ago and its really good to have hanging around cos then you can use it any time
  • Options
    I bought a trampette last summer, and it's been a god send - a tenner off a guy who works in a fitness shop hehe.

And a stepper I got from a car boot for £2 - definitely worth it.

Have a look in your local paper at the free adds - there's always cheap gym equipment in ours.
  • Options
    If you're already a Vegan and walk everywhere then probably the next step is to do some weight training
  • Options
    I need to lose weight, I have been told that Weight Watchers are fab...I really don't have the motivation for it but it may help?
  • Options
    I bought a trampette last summer, and it's been a god send - a tenner off a guy who works in a fitness shop hehe.

And a stepper I got from a car boot for £2 - definitely worth it.

Have a look in your local paper at the free adds - there's always cheap gym equipment in ours.

What sort of things do you do on the trampoline? Are there specific exercises? Good cardio? Its getting too cold to go outside to go to the gym and I just read that and it sounds real fun!
  • Options
    a workout schedule

yea, for workout music, you basically need hard-hitting euro-dance music.... nothing else does the job really. Search around on iTunes for "euro club hits" or check this link::shocking: :banghead: :crazyeyes :naughty:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol+