Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tax Rebate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I just woundered if anyone can tell me if i am entitled to a tax rebate as i have just got my latest P45. I have taxcode 522L, would anyone know what that means? Would there be any other information that would indicate i am entitled to any?, just have a feeling i am. Thought i would try this before the Tax Office.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would never have thought to look into it, but I'm on 522L as well I think. Maybe I should give the tax office a call :chin:
    Man emergency tax really pisses me off. Whats the fucking emergency? Quick, they've just started a new job so probably haven't been paid in a while - better take half their pay and then give it back a year later. What a plan

Why not take the normal amount of tax for the salary and save me the emergency of not being able to afford food for a week. Grr :mad:
    thanks all
    Hehe sorry I didn't really help, just had a bit of a rant. Ho hum
    thats alright, gets to me too, just phoned local tax office, they have got all the wrong records, still reckon i am working for a company who i finished working for in 2006, so got to send a letter with latest P45 explaining all.
    They asked me to send my p45 as they had no record of me working in a job, couldn't be arsed to send it so I just left it. A month later they sent me a tax rebate anyway! Random
    i've been on the same tax code 522L for about 3 years now :eek2:

maybe i should contact the tax office.....
    Pearly wrote: »
    522L is an emergency code for the tax year 2007-8, so you could well be entitled to a rebate.

Check out HMRC's website for more information, our our article on Claiming tax back.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensioners/tmatax-codes.shtml

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensioners/understandingyourtax.htm#2

Um, having looked on that website it says:

"L - is used if you are eligible for the basic personal allowance."

Surely that means its the normal tax code for if you have one job and the normal personal allowance? My number is slightly different now, new tax year and all that.
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Um, having looked on that website it says:

"L - is used if you are eligible for the basic personal allowance."

Surely that means its the normal tax code for if you have one job and the normal personal allowance? My number is slightly different now, new tax year and all that.

Precisely what I thought!

It's the standard tax code, as well as being the one used by new employers if you start a new job without a P45 and tick box A on the P46 (you'll be on 543LM - known as "week 1 month 1" - if you tick box B until the tax office contact your new employer with an update, once they've got your P45(1) from your old employer).

If you're on 543L and only have one job and have had it for a while, I wouldn't get excited about being due a tax rebate! (NB 522L was last year's standard code - your March payslip probably shows this but it will be uplifted to 543L for your April pay).

Btw, where did "(£5,234 for the tax year 2008-9)" come from in that article? The 2008-09 personal allowance is £5435.
    522L is the basic tax code, it just means that you can earn £5225 before you are taxed
    yeah im on a 522L as well i think.

i usually get a tax rebate every year tho, dont chase it, just comes through the post. i like it. its like free money.
    522L isn't the emergency code - it's the bog standard personal allowance on a cumulative basis for 07/08. Unless further allowances are due (flate rate expenses etc) then technically no repayment should arise. If it was 522L X then a repayment could be due as the code hasn't taken into account previous pay or tax.
    That's your new tax allowance. As Crystal Tipps has said, the 08/09 taxable allowance is £5435 and April was the start of the new financial year.
    Can anyone help me out...?
    I finished my last job in March and moved to Scotland to start a new job in April. I gave them my P45.
    Last year i was on 522L, and now im on 543L. I understand this is basically the same code, just updated for 2008-2009?!
    Thing is, ive been taxed over £200. Why is this when this code should mean i can earn roughly £5000 and not be taxed?
    Any ideas!?
    I need the ££!!!!

Thanku
    nalabyrne wrote: »
    Last year i was on 522L, and now im on 543L. I understand this is basically the same code, just updated for 2008-2009?!

This is you updated tax band for the new tax year.

As for the tax, sometimes timing is the key, even if you hand your P45 in on time you can still get taxed to much for the first couple of months in a new job. You really need to speak to the payroll department at work for more information.
    Thanks for that!
    What do i need to ask them though? I really dont understand it and dont wanna just seem like a moaning old biddy who doesnt want to pay tax and wants more money back!!
    If i just sit tight, will i eventually not get tax taken? Will the tax office know this or is it better to chase it with them and get them to change it?
    nalabyrne wrote: »
    If i just sit tight, will i eventually not get tax taken? Will the tax office know this or is it better to chase it with them and get them to change it?

Maybe, depends on your situation. Do you have a W1/M1 after you tax code? Because if you do then you are more likely to over pay tax.

Most payroll staff will be fine if you just say that you dont understand why/how much you where taxed. I used to get questions like yours all the time when I did payroll.
    Do you have a W1/M1 after you tax code? Because if you do then you are more likely to over pay tax.

As it's so early on in the financial year there should be no W1/M1 codes ;) and it is M1 anyhow...payroll have the authority to operate cumulative codes for all employees taken on up until week 10 from what I remember.

I've worked it backwards based on him paying £200 tax this month. If his gross wage was around £1453 then it would be about right!!

You don't earn £5439 and then start paying tax, your personal allowance is spread over the whole year, letting you earn about £453 a month before tax is deducted. If you have no earnings for a few months of the tax year then the tax free amount accumulates until you begin earning again.