Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I have lung cancer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sheesh ...... it's amazing how you can self diagnose on the web.

I have severe shoulder pain, and occasional pins and needles down my left arm. Sometimes numbness - although I am pretty sure it's been brought about by laying on my left side a lot - therefore restricting blood flow, and also pushing my shoulder out of place a lil (well, a fair emount so that it hurts constantly for 3+ days now)

Anyways, I did some googling, and it turns out, I have lung cancer, and it's best for me to get checked out.

So just to be on the safe side, I'm going to the doc to ask for an xray.
It's about time I had someone look at my insides anyhoo.

http://www.cancercompass.com/message-board/message/all,8546,0.htm

What have YOU self diagnosed yourself with, via the powers of the internet?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Self diagnosis is never a good idea, as there are some illnesses which share the same symptons as others.
    Melian wrote: »
    Self diagnosis is never a good idea, as there are some illnesses which share the same symptons as others.

I know .. I'm not taking it seriously though :)
    I like to see what I am dying of, when I have a small injury ... as according to the web. A lil game I play with myself to pass 5 mins :p
    I recently diagnosed myself with appendicitis when it was actually just trapped wind lol
    I got scared when I read the title I thought you had already been diagnosed! :(
    Aww - don't worry - I'll not be going anywhere before finding out about Tesco's home delivery service! *grin*
    I was looking in one of them home Doc books at my b/f house about 3 years ago, and it said 'Do you wee alot' and I thought, hmm I do so then it said I was pregnant! lol B/f went to Tesco to get a test just to be sure, but I wasnt:lol:

Think them things ought to be banned, we have doctors to dignose (sp) us!
    I'm suffering from depression according to NHS direct. Some helpful tips for me:
    * Don?t bottle up your thoughts and feelings - if possible, talk through your feelings with a friend or relative.
    * Keep a diary of your achievements and the things you have enjoyed each day, to help you think about the good things in your life and keep you positive.
    * Try to focus on positive thoughts and happy memories, perhaps by listening to music that reminds you of happy times.
    * Plan things you enjoy doing for the future so that you have something to look forward to.
    * Try to keep yourself busy doing useful activities - increasing your activity level can help to improve how you feel.

Very helpful advice. It's a bit like the astrology charts though - the same advice could be applicable to anyone.
    JamesZero wrote: »
    I recently diagnosed myself with appendicitis when it was actually just trapped wind lol

I did that! Turned out to be a strained muscle :blush:
    The doctor was not impressed with me thinking I was going to die.
    I once went to the doc complaining of severe heart pains and inability to breathe properly ... I have a heart condition anyways, so was playing it safe.

It was indigestion ... I'd never had it in 20+ years, so I didn't frikkin know!
    I'm also having a heart attack! :nervous:
    casualty-care_clip_image004.jpg

:(

Get well soon!

curiously though ...... I wonder WHY it's impulse to move your hand to your heart area when you have a heart attack. It's not like it can do anything!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Good luck with the doc!
    BritJamez wrote: »
    curiously though ...... I wonder WHY it's impulse to move your hand to your heart area when you have a heart attack. It's not like it can do anything!
    I'd guess it's the same reason you impulsively move your hand anywhere else that you feel pain. And that reason is probably that by touching the spot you might be able to understand what's causing the pain.
    Dr Internet tells me I have cancer, which wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it tells me what I want to hear in so many other ways :yes:
    go_away wrote: »
    Dr Internet tells me I have cancer, which wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it tells me what I want to hear in so many other ways :yes:

The benefits of you being female, every man's a doctor! :p
    I always diagnose myself with pregnancy!
    epilepsy

and diabetes
    I diagnosed myself with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome after doing the Beighton scale online - not bad considering a month later I was actually diagnosed with it by a rheumy!!

I'm currently diagnosing myself with polycystic ovaries, which I shall have checked out by a doc because it's actually quite likely.
    I'd guess it's the same reason you impulsively move your hand anywhere else that you feel pain. And that reason is probably that by touching the spot you might be able to understand what's causing the pain.
    It's to do with the receptors in the brain - it is true that when you bang your elbow, you automatically rub it, which in turn sends a message to the brain to close the 'pain barrier' - so effectively, it's the bodies own coping mechanism, which for some cases actually works!
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I'm also having a heart attack! :nervous:

Oh me too, lets die togther :( I pulled a chest muscle one day and it hurt so bad I was quite positive I was having some sort of heart problem :p

Carpel tunnel was popular last year too.
    I diagnosed myself with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome after doing the Beighton scale online - not bad considering a month later I was actually diagnosed with it by a rheumy!!

I'm currently diagnosing myself with polycystic ovaries, which I shall have checked out by a doc because it's actually quite likely.
    I hope for your sake you dont have PCOS, its not something id want to have.

I diagnosed myself as pregnant and having diabetes, turned out to be PCOS.
    lipsy wrote: »
    I always diagnose myself with pregnancy!

LOL me too. Every month :lol:
    Amira wrote: »
    I hope for your sake you dont have PCOS, its not something id want to have.

I diagnosed myself as pregnant and having diabetes, turned out to be PCOS.
    Yeah I know, but it would explain a lot; black hairs on my chin and top lip, being overweight (at increased risk of having pcos) irregular periods, family history of ovarian cysts, sugar cravings, skin tags, PMS etc etc the list goes on. What do you think?
    Yeah I know, but it would explain a lot; black hairs on my chin and top lip, being overweight (at increased risk of having pcos) irregular periods, family history of ovarian cysts, sugar cravings, skin tags, PMS etc etc the list goes on. What do you think?

Most of those can be explained anyway:
    - Women usually get hair on their face. I do, but mine is blonde, despite being dark haired.:confused:
    - Overweight might be genetic or something to do with your thyroid
    - Don't most women get PMS?

According to various websites, the symptons I have are very similar to those of people with learning disabilities (Dyslexia & Dyspraxia I think) yet I know I don't. And I know this because it's also the symptons of Nystagmus, which I know I have. And that's why using the internet to diagnose yourself isn't really a good idea.

Possibly, but you cant know for sure is unless you have a blood test.

I actually went to the GPs for something unconnected; had loads of blood tests and they came back positive for PCOS (after the GP had to phone the lab and confirm the results). I only have mild to moderate syptoms and its not nice, and thats on hormonal conceptives to control it.
    Yeah, I'll ask my GP for some blood tests methinks. Maybe even a scan.