Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hand Held GPS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have very bad problems with navigating and generally getting around safely. I know someone who has the same problem and uses a hand held GPS, which helps them.

Has anyone used them? Are they expensive? Where's the best place to get one?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've got one on my phone. Was about £500 but I got it on contract.

You can get a GPS receiver and bluetooth it to your phone then install google maps on your phone. That should do it for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SOCKET-Socket-Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver/dp/B00008W5X5

:/

I can't guaruntee if your phone will work with it but it should. Mine is all integrated so I don't need to worry about compatibility. But technically, you turn the thing on, sync it to your phone, it streams gps data which you tell the program to read. In practice... some phones have aneurysm when you try to do anything remotely clever.

It's probably a more practical solution though, you have your phone with you all the time anyway, and the GPS receiver can go in your backpack. Just check to make sure your mobile is compatible first.
    Thanks. Do I just need a phone with Bluetooth on it?
    Melian wrote: »
    I have very bad problems with navigating and generally getting around safely. I know someone who has the same problem and uses a hand held GPS, which helps them.

Has anyone used them? Are they expensive? Where's the best place to get one?

By foot or by car?

Either way no phone GPS works better then a proper SatNav but it may be less to carry overall.

A lot of SatNavs don't work all that well when walking, especially in towns with high buildings and can take a while to pick up a signal.

The latest Tom Tom Software lets you plan a route on Google Maps and upload that to your SatNav, and also has weekly updates that allow you to find a signal within seconds.

I've owned about 7 GPS devices - my fav gadget of all.
    I mean for on foot.
    Melian wrote: »
    I mean for on foot.

I've tried loads of sat navs in the city and walking and when you're walking I don't think you're always moving fast enough for the unit to work out which direction you're moving in.

A sat nav can tell you your position when standing still but it can't tell which direction you are facing until you start moving somewhere. Quite often if I want to navigate by foot with satnav I have to start walking in a random direction whilst it works out which direction I'm walking in.

If you're walking in narrow lanes with high buildings on either side it's harder to get a signal.

It's better then nothing but it's certainly far from perfect. However if Europe ever get around to launching their satnav system then there will be a lot more satelittes over europe and the signals should be a lot better.

There is also talk the new iPhone will have GPS built in - so that might be solution for you if it does.

Link below has some useful info:

http://www.satellitenavigation.org.uk/