Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm off to sunny...

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Glasgow :razz: at the end of the week.

I've never been before - what's hot and what's not?

Help me out scotsland kids. :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never been but I hear there's a good drug and gang scene if that's how you roll Helen. :thumb:
    Me thinks Kiezo's persuaded Helen to get all Ramone'd up ;)
    The weather is not hot :razz:

It's monsoon weather today after a nice sunny weekend.

What kid of stuff are you after?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Glittery wrote: »

What kid of stuff are you after?

Anything really - nice places to eat, good music venues, places of 'cultural' interest - probably not of the kind 'ed refers to :)
    You should check out the Tramway and also Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum for your cultural stuff. And maybe go on one of the open top bus tours if it's a nice day.

Foodwise I always recommend Cafe Andaluz to people, very yummy. Tchai-Ovna House of Tea is nice for something different too for afternoon tea and cake.

Getting the subway to Hillhead and wandering about the West End is always a good shout, I love sitting in a random cafe and people watching. Lots of little quirky shops too.

Hope that helps!
    You should check out the Tramway and also Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum for your cultural stuff. And maybe go on one of the open top bus tours if it's a nice day.

Foodwise I always recommend Cafe Andaluz to people, very yummy. Tchai-Ovna House of Tea is nice for something different too for afternoon tea and cake.

Getting the subway to Hillhead and wandering about the West End is always a good shout, I love sitting in a random cafe and people watching. Lots of little quirky shops too.

Hope that helps!

:yes: that's brill - thanks!! :heart:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Scotland is rubbish :p
    JsT wrote: »
    Scotland is rubbish :p

:lol: I've actually blown off Yorkshire for it!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    **Helen** wrote: »
    :lol: I've actually blown off Yorkshire for it!
    More fool you sista! :p:p
    Glittery's advice was great. If you are spending time in the city centre you might also be interested in the Gallery of Modern Art http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/index.cfm?venueid=3

A classy shopping venue in the city centre is Princes Square http://www.princessquare.co.uk/ located off the main shopping street.

There are lots of lovely places to eat as well as some nice bars in the Merchant City http://www.glasgowmerchantcity.net/edsp.htm also in the city centre.
    Ohhhhh! I've JUST seen this!

Okay, well!

Sunday you need to go to The Barras! Sunday is the best day for it, it's a bit like Portobello Road/Camden Market but a bit more naff. It's something you need to go see just for all the Glasgow chat and everyone you'll never thought existed in Glasgow!

Then you can pop over to the People's Palace (Museum of Glasgow) on Glasgow Green (Glasgow's oldest park).

Both The Barras and The People's Palace are just five minutes away from the city centre.

All the shops on the high street are all within easy walking distance. The Subway is really easy, as it's just one big circle and will take you to most places.

If you're going to be about Hillhead for the West End I'd reccommend Charles Rennie Mackintosh's inspired house which is about a 10 minute walk from Hillhead underground. As Shaz said, Hillhead is really good for wee nik nakky/craft shops but be prepared to pay a fortune for most things! It's student village there, too. The cafes I'll agree are brill to just people watch. :)

At the bottom of Byres Road (Hillhead Subway is at the top) on Dumbarton Road you'll get a really shabby chic vintage/second hand shop called Handbags And Gladrags if you want a perusal! The Salvation Army is about 2 minutes away for other charity finds, too. :thumb: Found many a bargain (and books!) in there, always a recommend.

Hmmm, what else. Oooh! There is The Tenement House, which has pretty much everything from 1900s until the 1960s, nothing's been touched. The woman who lived there didn't chuck anything out, so it's like going back in time! :D

Merchant City is a bit pretentious and more often than not expeeeeeeeeeeensive. However, if you are to go for something to eat there, I'd vouch for Pancho Villas! and for a drink with a really nice atmosphere I like Home.

I also like going to The Fixx pub for lunch when I'm in Glasgow, it's a sneaky pub in the city centre on Miller Street, just off Arglye Street (where the main shopping part is). Either there or Bacchus, which is just on Glassford Street just up near Tiger Tiger on the same street.

I normally go to The Butterfly And The Pig, because it's attached to a club I go to called The Buff Club. I only recommend going to The Buff Club on a Tuesday as most days it's pants! But The Butterfly And The Pig is a cracking wee pub and the food is brill, they have the hugest portions for a pub I've ever seen! :yum: I like Bunker too. Both of those pubs are on Bath Street, which is home to many a good pub, too. Sauchiehall Street have a wad of pubs, too. It's just trial and error.

I would advise you at all costs to stay away from Campus, Buffalo Joe's, The Savoy, Silver, Studio and The Garage as it's just a complete and utter meat market full of people even the tide wouldn't take out. :yuck:

I've gave you a monumental lump, here. It took an age! But here, S1 Play is good to have a look at for restaurants and things to do in Glasgow for you to look ahead if all those ideas are naff! :razz:

Enjoy, Helen! x
    Good music venues has to be The Barras, King Tuts (where Oasis were discovered!) or Nice N' Sleazys! For a bit of 'Glasgow banter' and kareoke I'd offer you The Horseshoe Bar, pretty much anyone goes there. :)

www.gigsinscotland.com is good to nosy at for this.

You should go to Ayr and go to Robert Burns' cottage for the day!
    You are amaze 1983, thanks!!

My mates wanna go see Match Box 20 on Sunday night :crying:
    You are amaze 1983, thanks!!

My mates wanna go see Match Box 20 on Sunday night :crying:

:yuck: not my cuppa, I feel yer pain!

But you should come to Sub Club after it, I'll be there, I'll buy you a Red Stripe!

Failing that, go to Classic Grand, they have a really good sort of precussion band drum n' bass/electro thing on the go. Or you can go to the rock night at ABC or The Cat House. :)
    Tchai-Ovna House of Tea is nice for something different too for afternoon tea and cake.

I loved this place :heart:
    I loved this place :heart:
    I thought you would :)

What else did you get upto?
    Well, if I'm honest, not a whole lot because it was quite a short trip and the main reason for going was to visit friends. We ate loads, drank a little ;) and partied till the wee hours. :)