Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

getting an allotment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i put myself on the list when i moved to london, but it was really long so, i never got one...

but now i'm moving to north west london, i'm thinking about getting one again.

has anyone got one, and how do you find the upkeep of it with job/studies/etc?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    i put myself on the list when i moved to london, but it was really long so, i never got one...

but now i'm moving to north west london, i'm thinking about getting one again.

has anyone got one, and how do you find the upkeep of it with job/studies/etc?

thanks

It's quite a comitment ...and you need to buy tools and know how ...or learn how to use them. You need to be willing to get dirty achey and sweaty.
  • Options
    We had one last year, I was at college and my boyfreind worked shifts so he used to go in the day alot. I did used to help, I dug a trench out and put potatoes in!:cool:

It was a huuuuuuuge plot tho, like you could make 3 allotment out of just one!!
    The problem was we wanted to clear the land - loads of weeks and hourse poo! But the men kept bringing us potatos and beans to plant, which was kind of them but we wanted to clear it first, but we planted them, so I was planting them and my boyfriend was clearing the other space, which felt like we were getting knowere:(

But we had to give it up cos I found out I was pregnant and didnt want to do any work cos of the cat poo, and we needed to sort out the spare room for the nursery!

If you do get one, make sure you have a plan, like if you need to clear it, clear it first:) Hope you get one.
  • Options
    It's quite a comitment ...and you need to buy tools and know how ...or learn how to use them. You need to be willing to get dirty achey and sweaty.

Deffo! We had all the tools from my boyfreinds dad so we didnt need to buy anything, the tools are expensive. You need to know about when to plant things and stuff. One man told us we needed to go everyday!:eek:
  • Options
    I've never found gardening particularly difficult :s but I suppose if you enjoy something...

I've always said if money wasn't an issue I'd want to be a gardener :)
  • Options
    the tools i can get from freecycle, there are always ones going, and the plots are quite small.

i know what i want to plant, and what i can plant (not sure of the soil conditions yet tho) so, i think i'm going to go a head a do it!
  • Options
    the tools i can get from freecycle, there are always ones going, and the plots are quite small.

i know what i want to plant, and what i can plant (not sure of the soil conditions yet tho) so, i think i'm going to go a head a do it!
    Go for it ...it's rewarding mentaly and physicaly ...and you get to eat the freshest.
    You have nothing to loose.
  • Options
    I did my back in one week. So you could temporarily lose some of your mobility :p
  • Options
    i do that on a regular basis as it is....