Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's the point in using bleach in ...?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's the point in using bleach in ... The Toilet Bowl?

I can understand perhaps wanting to disinfect surfaces you may cook on, prepare food on, touch, etc - so why do people literally pour money down the drain using bleach in toilet bowls when they aint likely to come into contact with the surface?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cos toilet bowls are more likely to have shit stuck to the sides than kitchen worksurfaces?

Plus toilets can smell a bit pissy after a while if you dont bleach them
    Never heard of using straight bleach but most cleaners, if not all, I hanvn't examined them all, have bleach in them. Keeps that bowl shiny white and clean too. Ours also has teflon in it :lol: Just say no to skidmarks.

Plus you never realize how important a clean disinfected toilet bowl is until your head is inside it. I don't want nasty dirty that close to my borrowed vodka.
    Prehaps because the bacteria that ends up in the toilet can produce spores and spreads all over the bathroom when the toilet is flushed.
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Prehaps because the bacteria that ends up in the toilet can produce spores and spreads all over the bathroom when the toilet is flushed.

Well if that was the case then those blocks you put in the cistern make sense BUT what doesn't to me are those really thick bleaches which are always blue or green in colour you manually apply yourself - they smell nice but I don't think from a health point they do anything useful.

I'm also thinking that the water we flush down the toilet will be going down the sewers and we'll be drinking it again anyway - so is it good to add bleach unnecessarily?

I could see those thick bleaches being used when you're going away for a long time but day to day don't see the point in them.
    It kills the bacteria lurking in the bowl which, like I said, can produce spores which when airborn are really dangerous and give people diseases such as C.difficile which kills someone in Britain every hour. Therefore it is vital that we bleach all areas of the toilet to kill off any bacteria lurking around in the nooks and crannies. It's not just the bacteria in the water that is dangerous...

And I don't think toilet water ends up as drinking water... that just seems wrong.
    It also bleaches the limescale back to white so less noticeable in most toilets.
    cos shit and piss smell horrible
    DG wrote: »
    I'm also thinking that the water we flush down the toilet will be going down the sewers and we'll be drinking it again anyway - so is it good to add bleach unnecessarily?

Drinking water is treated and has to pass quite strict tests before its safe for use., so what you out in the toilet bowl wont make much of an effect.

The toliet doesnt get bleached very often, probably only every couple of weeks (overnight) it does get cleaned a couple of times a week as well.
    Lu_C wrote: »
    And I don't think toilet water ends up as drinking water... that just seems wrong.

Oh yes it does ...the big cities use a lot of recycled water ...London especialy.
    My water supply comes from a beeeg lake about five miles away ...fresh and clean.
    Hmmm I see! :chin:
    Oh yes it does ...the big cities use a lot of recycled water ...London especialy.
    My water supply comes from a beeeg lake about five miles away ...fresh and clean.

I think although I may be wrong that they treat water then it goes back to the sea, then they collect more water from streams into resevoirs which are again treated. *been to a severn trent water treatment plant*

I personally have never heard of them straight recycling sewage water, but assuming it was treated properly it would be fine anyway. Main thing to worry about in my tin-foil-hat opinion is the fluorine... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation
    Better bleach our keyboard too then according to this ..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7377002.stm
    What a bizarre question.

Bleach is the best thing to clean a toilet with. It's also very cheap, a bottle of plain bleach only costs about 30p.