Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Working in supermarkets

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
I've done my time back in the day and it definitely had its low points.
But I'm not sure I ever got as stressed as Jackie - rose tinted specs are a wonderful thing :p

What do you reckon?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I used to get pissed off by people saying 'are you open?' when I'm sitting there with the conveyor belt running, or 'ooh are you waiting for me *har har*' and you have to pretend its funny even though every sad fucker that comes through the checkouts says it and thinks they're hilarious and, even worse, original

Also retard customers who bring stuff t the checkout that's blatantly not on offer (like 2 different brands of bread) and try and get it for bogof. NO YOU HAVE TO HAVE TWO OF THE SAME! TWO KINGSMILL! 'But it was on the same shelf...' :banghead:
    Not the best rant IMO. I imagine we could all rant about things we hate about our jobs, I didn't really think that was the purpose of the rants section.
    Well, Jackie is more than welcome to serve me at the checkout anytime she likes. :flirt:

Anyway, onto the article... it certainly brings back memories for me. I no longer work in shops for two reasons. (1) Because I had absolutely no chance of being promoted under the management at the time and; (2) Because of all the abuse from customers.

I particularly remember one night when the price label above some packets of crisps was wrong. Instead of being 60p a pack, the label said 40p. When I was shown this by a customer, I thanked them for pointing it out, immediately corrected the mistake and offered to refund them the difference. It's a fair cop, as I readily admitted. However, that didn't placate her at all. She proceeded to spend the next 15 minutes or so shouting at the top of her voice about correct pricing procedures, (apparently, she'd worked in a shop for many years, but I didn't believe a word) sprinkling in hefty doses of personal abuse. Eventually, I decided I'd had enough and walked off - I wasn't being paid to listen to this drivel.

These days, I work in an arcade. (and I'm also hoping to do this when at university) I have to wear a red coat and red shirt which clearly shows the logo of the arcades. Yet I get countless customers coming up to me asking "do you work here?". Er no, I just come in for seven hours a day and wear this for fun, you dozy twat...
    ha ha, she'll grow up, I hope. I find peoples attitudes towards children pretty pathetic, compared to other countries. Leave your children at home indeed - jog on!
    Come on Katralla, everyone knows that a reliable, trustworthy, cheap, flexible babysitter with all the right background checks and advanced first aid training is just a click of the fingers away! ;)

I think the rant was ok, although there seems to be an unspoken expectation of some sort of respect, just because she's training to be a solicitor so isn't like those 'other' grubby people who will be working there a lot longer. I think this perception of being looked down upon comes stems from this - do you want people to care that you're in a good course at a nice shiny university? People don't give two figs either, they want their goods, they want a good service, and to presumably get the hell out of there.
    She may also find she gets treated better by even the snootiest customers if she's friendly and helpful regardless rather than 'forgetting' things.

As for the do you work here thing, I find it's a slightly more polite starting point than just laying straight into someone with your request.
    As for the do you work here thing, I find it's a slightly more polite starting point than just laying straight into someone with your request.
    Well, I suppose it might be better than the alternative. I remember last year when I was in a HMV store in Manchester. I was looking at some CDs when a bloke comes up to me asking if they had some DVD or other in stock. When I turned round and he noticed I wasn't one of the staff, his face turned completely red.