Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what puppy??!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok so im pretty certain that once i finish uni im going to be moving to london!

my dad has been wanting to make a property investment for ages, so ive persuaded him that this is the perfect opportunity to do so!!

so if all goes well, i will have my own (well, his, but he wont be living there) apartment!
Ill most likely move in by myself and then advertise or summat for one or two people to move in with me

and.. ive decided i want to get a dog!! im fully aware of the responsibilities of having one (we have 4 at home!) and i think it will also be a good reason for me to get out and exercising! (not the only reason obviously)

only question is, what breed do u think i should get? probably not one too big..
we already have a weimaraner, miniature dachshund, chihuahua and shetland sheepdog so id wnt one different to them

aand i have about 5 grand saved up, so i would be willing i think to spend up to.. 1500! (i can go without clothes shopping for a while i guess!)

what breeds would you suggest?? im not sure :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your dad can afford to buy an apartment in London? Must be minted.
    Will you have a garden? What sorts of hours are you looking at working? Any other apects of yout job that could affect having a pet (Unsociable/long hours, having to work away from home often etc)

Some breeds will better as being housedogs then others but you'll still have to walk them at least once a day.
    i wouldnt get a puppy unless youve got lots and lots of time and energy to spend training it. Puppys are like kids. If youre not there much, they ruin your house and go nuts.
    Have you thought about maybe going to battersea dogs home and getting a rescue dog? Theyll also be able to help you with what sort of dog would be suitable for your living arrangements. My boyfriend got his dog from there, and there were only a few that they said were suitable for living in a flat.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Staffy. Wihtout a doubt.

Short haired, not smelly, energetic, and generally of good health. Good around people children and just bloody good fun.

They need attention though, they crave it. And they need to be excerised. If you even have a doubt about being able to walk it everyday you shouldn't be gettting a dog AT ALL.
    Weekender Offender 
    I'm sure there are some little dogs you don't need to take for walks. I think you should get one of those little ones you can dress in cute outfits and carry around in your oversized designer handbag, that would be cute, as long as it didn't poop in there.
    Skive wrote: »
    If you even have a doubt about being able to walk it everyday you shouldn't be gettting a dog AT ALL.

i have noo doubt that i would walk it every day.

im not sure about the whole garden situation - but yes, i guess it would be a priority if i was to get one - especially a bigger breed. but then, if i was to get a place without an garden it would just mean having to take the dog to the park, or other such green places whcih wouldnt be too much of a problem

as for the job, when i move there ill only be getting a part time job at first, so id have plenty of time to be at home and look after it - i really have thought it through and i dont see there being a problem!

i didnt think about getting a rescue dog no - but i was just watching 'animal cops miami' and its definately put me in mind to trying that! some of em are so cuuute!!

having a small dog would make it a whole lot easier however. my dads chihuahua is soo cute and doesnt really need to be taken on walks that much cuz he gets tired. hmmm the possibilites..
    it was actually a staffy that they recommended for living in a flat although they did have a communal garden
    no dog that has massive excerise requirements like spaniels or collies. In all honesty I don't think it's fair on a dog to have to be on a lead all the time when out walking - which i'm assuming you'll have to do in london. I just don't think dogs are good to have in a city, you need a garden at least or be close to somewhere where they can be walked properly.
    get yourself a little mongrel, they are so loving :)
    A mini weiner :D A brown shorthaired :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

And then give it to me :p
    Why spend hundreds of pounds on a puppy, when there are thousands upon thousands of dogs already needing homes?

We have a chinese crested powderpuff, who was an RSPCA Rescue dog. And is as pedigree as they come (obviously, without papers, but like, who cares? really.)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Why spend hundreds of pounds on a puppy, when there are thousands upon thousands of dogs already needing homes?
    I'd have to agree really.
    Me too. Puppies are lovely, but it'd be so rewarding to give a good home to a poor dog that's been badly treated or abandoned. I'm so jealous, I'd love a dog but don't have the time and live in a rented house so it's not allowed :( Still, I do have a step-dog in the form of my boyfriend's whippet, so it's not all bad - he's the sweetest dog ever.
    Id say a rescue dog too, but if you really do want to buy one, cavalier king charles spaniels are lovely dogs and theyre around £800 tops!
    lab :D

so friendly
    Get a Jack Russel, mine is amazing! She's everything I wanted. :D
    There are loads of staffies in battersea dogs hoime because a lot of teenagers get them as a status symbol and can't look after them.

Staffies are beautiful (I think), but with any dog, it's cruel to adopt one if you don't have a lot of time to look after them and get them exercise...

Bored dogs get destructive.
    the papillon dog is cute
    z- wrote: »
    lab :D

so friendly

:yes:

My boyfriends mams got a labrador/alsation and he's amazing! He's HUGE but he's got lovely shiny black fur like a lab. He's really sweet but when he stands up and barks its scary cos he's really tall! He's the perfect mix of cute and RAWRRR
    Namaste wrote: »
    There are loads of staffies in battersea dogs hoime because a lot of teenagers get them as a status symbol and can't look after them.

Staffies are beautiful (I think), but with any dog, it's cruel to adopt one if you don't have a lot of time to look after them and get them exercise...

Bored dogs get destructive.

Interesting link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7239464.stm
    So long as you get one that matches the carpet.
    cuppatboys wrote: »
    Id say a rescue dog too, but if you really do want to buy one, cavalier king charles spaniels are lovely dogs and theyre around £800 tops!

I agree they are lovely. We had a cavalier and she was so sweet and had the best little personality ever. Although because she was pure predegree she had all kinds of thinks wrong, heart murmer, eye and ear problems, skin problems. We used to spend about £2000 a year on medication for her, thank god for pet insurance!

I'd say go to a dogs home, don't worry about it's pedegree, there all so inbred they can have all sorts of inherited problems!
    yea our labrador has problems with epilepsy and artiritis in his back legs due to being a pure bred dog :(
    so its better to get a cross? My auntie has a lab/collie cross and she's lovely, complete nutter. Shes old now but still bonkers.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    so its better to get a cross? My auntie has a lab/collie cross and she's lovely, complete nutter. Shes old now but still bonkers.

Yeah a cross or a mongral, they seem to be a bit more hardy than pure pedegree dogs.

You can get some cute crosses like labradoodles!
    Why are pure bred dogs coming across as useless when it comes to health?!

I would have thought the opposite true (not a dog lover etc, just curious).
    Aha!

With you now.
    dont know if im missing the point but surely its quite hard to own a dog if you dont have a garden? what happens when it wants some fresh air or needs the loo? you dont want to have to be putting it on a lead and walking to a park for that all the time? im just going on what i do with my dog which is pretty much leave the back door open to come and go as she pleases..

but anyway, get a soft coated wheaten terrier :)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Now this is a proper dog.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=fEUtEP6MIKA
    Weekender Offender