Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Don't jog, drive

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes as i doubt most people run even a mile in a day.

I wonder what the calculations for cycling would be like as quite a few peopel cycle many miles a day.
  • Options
    I'll do some hill sprints, and Tommy Boyd can hold his breath for a few hours. Balance restored :D
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I'll do some hill sprints, and Tommy Boyd can hold his breath for a few hours. Balance restored :D
    :D
  • Options
    Does this include the drilling, refinement and shipping of oil and petrol?
  • Options
    That is funny, I love it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    minimi38 wrote: »

But if you were to travel as far as you do in a car everyday by jogging or cylcing then you may contribute just as much CO2. i think that's the point being made.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    "The rate of carbon emission for a typical runner is approximately 100 grams of CO2 per kilometre, this is greater than the rate of CO2 emission of, for example a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 which produces 99 grams per km."
    Firstly, this takes in to account only the emission, not the breathing rate of the person driving the car... So, if a driver's breathing releases only 5% of a runner, then wouldn't both the breathing and the emissions from the engine account for more in total?

Also note, the extraction of oil also adds to the overall environmental impact of oil, not only for transportation, but also for environmental damage... And that doesn't even begin to take in to account the impact of extracting the materials to build the car, then putting it together.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    But if you were to travel as far as you do in a car everyday by jogging or cylcing then you may contribute just as much CO2. i think that's the point being made.

yes i know, but using that to form the following conclusion:
    "I can only conclude that needless exercise is killing our climate. We must all stop jogging now if we are serious about helping to save our planet."

is silly for the reason i mentioned.
  • Options
    I don't think he's serious, just taking the mick out of people who go round telling people to watch out for their carbon footprint, etc.

If we assumed carbon dioxide was at ground level density, and coloured it in grey for example, could we make a big floating foot print for illustrative purposes (say 1m high for simplicity's sake) of a daily consumption.

You could plant your footprint next to famous places in photoshop :)

Mine is the same height as big ben!
  • Options
    I'm going to tiptoe very slowly to my car from now on. It's going to look a bit odd to people but when i tell them it's the green thing to do ...i'm sure they'll soon follow suit.
  • Options
    A load of simplistic utter bollocks.

That is the best way to describe it, and the only answer it deserves.
  • Options
    Global warming is down to Lee Evans.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »

I wonder what the calculations for cycling would be like as quite a few peopel cycle many miles a day.

cycling uses roughly 1/2 the energy running does but frankly I never heared so must well yes BULL SHIT in my life I repeat BULL SHIT !!!!!! so some twerp with plenty of imagination and I'd say no facts or logical abilities rekons that we create more CO2 than a car using 1-200 KW/h ? I mean frankly I would like to see this guy DEAD sorry but words fail me in describing such bolocks (formerly refered to as BULL SHIT !!!)

apart from the pure figures we are part of a natural cycle we eat food that was grown by taking CO2 out of the air and using it for growing so we are only putting out what was taken out in the begining, perhaps its a case of there are too many of us, OK he can be the first to go as he's so concerned ! petrol and fossil fuels are releasing CO2 that was trapped millions of years ago when the planet was much hotter as in too hot for us it was absorbed and burried and we clever people come along and let it out again, can somebody please explain this simple FACT to this prat ?
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

nope your body does not use 1-200 KW per hour of power nor output the amount of CO2 such power consumption generates, I estimate (and it is onl;y an educated guess) that we can produce about 1 KW of force ok we are 1/2 as efficient as a combustion engine but I think we can jog down the road on 1 KW of power (6 KW being inputted as we are 15 % efficient) rather than use a car that to produce 30 KW of power uses 100 KW of energy. it stands to reason this guy is trying to say that it take more power fo a 60-70 Kg human to jog than it does a 1.5 ton car to move