Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stopping cats poo on your garden!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, we have a problem with cats pooing on our garden, which wasnt a problem last year cos we didnt use the garden. But now with a baby we are going to turf it in a couple of weeks, and want to start using it.

Last year I used 'Get off my garden' for cats and dogs which was from Wilkinsons, wanst very good cos they still pooed on the garden! Today I have gone and cleaned all the cat poo up, so will be able to see if they are still using the garden.

My sis said to dig the area (so all the poo is gone) then put moth balls down and slate so they wont go on! I also thought about putting windmills aroudn the area so it scares them!?

Anyone got any tips or ideas please?
:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    just asked my mum and she said orange peel, spiky sticks around the garden which won't make them want to sit down and cat pepper which you can buy
    Once you turf it over the cats should stop using it anyway. They won't be interested in digging through grass. Most likely only using it now 'cos it's loose soil.
    empty 2 litre bottle, fill it half with water, lay it flat in the garden.

scares them off apparently.

my grandparents used to swear by this
    Air rifle.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    invest in an airsoft gun. :D
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    invest in an airsoft gun. :D
    Snap!

So does my Grandma! and her next door neighbour.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Snap!

You win. :(
    Weekender Offender 
    Mist wrote: »
    Once you turf it over the cats should stop using it anyway. They won't be interested in digging through grass. Most likely only using it now 'cos it's loose soil.

The neighbourhood cats take great pleasure in shitting on our turfed front garden :grump:
    Thanks for the replies.

The area that the cats poo its got black material down (the stuff that stops weeds) so they dont dig it, theres no holes.

Is it cats?? Or I thought maybe the dog from next door - he climbs up the wall and jumps over onto our garden (but I havent seem him do this for a while, but then again I aint been in the garden alot) or it could be a fox?

:confused:
    I second the orange peel!

oo, does it just roll around the garden all day?
    my dad swears by a shovel

(to pick the cat crap up and sling it over the fence that is).

I'd suggest chasing them away with a pitch fork - they'll spread the word amongst the cat people!

Lol, just joking - my dad used mothballs i think and they worked!
    oo, does it just roll around the garden all day?

I dug a hole and put it in upside down when I had a garden. It scares them off because they can see their reflection and to them it looks like a big scary cat!Alternatively moth balls are good. I've heard that male urine is a good deterrent apparently because of scent and territory :crazyeyes
    HunnyPot wrote: »
    I've heard that male urine is a good deterrent apparently because of scent and territory :crazyeyes
    That could prove difficult.
    Do you see the cats doing it? If so get a water pistol and squit them if you catch them mid-crap, they'd get the point quite quickly.
    we used to get our next door neighbors labrador coming in our garden and crapping at least once a day :impissed: it was especially gross during the summer when we wanted to beout there more and someone would be unfortunate enoughto stand in it!

my mum got sick of it tho and put up a mini electric fence :D now he comes nowhere near! i fell on it once and it delivers quite a shock! so its no suprise he never attempts to get in anymore.