Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Apparently yesterday was St. George's Day

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't you lot realise that by celebrating our national day, we're tacitly giving our vote to the BNP and being unwelcoming to our hordes of immigrant friends...
    Don't you lot realise that by celebrating our national day, we're tacitly giving our vote to the BNP and being unwelcoming to our hordes of immigrant friends...
    You could argue the opposite is true IMO. By recoiling from any celebration of Englishness the concept gets hijacked by fascists and assorted scum.

I don't believe in patriotism but I'd happily participate in any festivities that mark the nation's national day. Being either my nation, or the nation I am a resident (and guest) of.

So long as the celebrations are done in a positive and festive way I don't see anything wrong with them. Would you really feel unwelcome if you lived in Spain and on the national day, which is a bank holiday there, you encountered festivities on the street where people danced al fresco, ate paella and drank sangria? I know I wouldn't feel unwelcome if a similar celebration took place in England. Why, I'd happily join in and drink some local ale while watching a game of cricket in the park.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote: »
    You would have been forgiven for not realising this.

England must be one of the very few countries that don't celebrate their national day. Bizarre :confused:

Rather, there was nothing about it.

This is shit, we should have a fucking HUGE military prade, street parties and shit.

Fucks sake.
    Skive wrote: »
    Went out got pissed. Would like to see it as a bank holiday.
    Certainly see more reason for it to be a bank holiday than Easter.

Agreed!
    Dunno what's behind it. Seems like St Paddy's day is more popular in England than St. George's day is. :lol:
    guinness don't market it, therefore no-one gives a shit.