Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Art galleries, Theatre & Exhibitions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Have you ever been to an art gallery, or an exhibition? I know someone who hasn't even been to the theatre!

whether you're into portraits, technology exhibitions, dance, performance, other cultures, I'd like your replies.

I'm interested in what the last gallery, play/show or exhibition was that you went to, where it was, and what you thought of it.

Thanks!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I went see the First Emperor exhibition at the British Museum a couple of weeks ago if that counts. Previous that was just a regular trip to the TATE modern a month or so ago.

Theatre was months ago, to see a play about the media reaction to the flooding last year.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Yesterday - http://www.visitlondon.com/tutankhamun/
    Good points - excellent composition, decent amount of info without being overwhelmed, good mix of media.

Crap stuff - way too expensive (even charged £4 for audio on top of ticket price) security too intrusive.

Last week I went to see an exhibition of illustrations at the LCC - really good, relaxed and free :)

On Monday I went to one of the alternative fashion week shows at Spitalfields - was brilliant (does that count?)
    I went to the opening of an photography exhibition here in Poland, about Orthadox Christians in Eastern Poland. I really like photography exhibitions and like to go to the portrait gallery (? I think that's the one) in London, especially when they have competitions on display.

I love going to the theatre, I miss the days when I got free review tickets. I'd like to get back into going when I come back to the UK, but it can be pretty pricey. The last thing I saw was Othello, last August.
    I really want to go and see this - http://www.wellcomecollection.org/exhibitionsandevents/exhibitions/lifebeforedeath/index.htm

I went to go on Monday before Spitalfields but Monday is the one day it's closed - duh!
    That looks pretty darn interesting, Helen.

Creepyish, but interesting.

May have to grab a work colleague or 2 and head on over
    BritJamez wrote: »
    That looks pretty darn interesting, Helen.

Creepyish, but interesting.

May have to grab a work colleague or 2 and head on over

Yeah for sure - it's open til about 10pm on thursday nights so thinking I'm gonna take advantage of that. :thumb:
    The last exhibition I saw was an exhibition of Lucian Freud's etchings. I love his work.

The last play I saw was an adaptation of Antigone, which was absolutely compelling. It was about a month ago.
    The last exhibit I went to was the Russian art exhibit at the Royal Society that was quite good, although many of the russian works were quite derivative.

It's been a while since I went to a play, the Emperor Jones I think it was, rather good if a little on the strange side.

Oh and I went to a BBC7 comedy show last week.
    I :heart: Lucian Freud!

Me too me too.
    I've been looking for an exhibition of his stuff to go to recently but there doesn't seem to be anything around at the moment. There are a couple of exhibitions I like the look of coming up in London...like this one http://www.visitlondon.com/events/detail/2371806
    I haven't been to an exhibition or play for ages but am definitely going to try and go more often.
    I :heart: Lucian Freud! I saw an exhibition of his stuff in Kendal a couple of years ago. None of his subjects are pretty but they all look extremely happy and comfortable, which is quite a feat when you are severely overweight and totally naked!

me too!! I love him :heart:
    i wish I could go to more galleries etc. Theres not many near me that are much good although theyre building a brand new arts thingie in colchester, much to lots of grumpy taxpayers disgust, but im pleased about it
    last thing I went to see was ballet, I'm not really interested in standing around in museums/galleries though I have been to some. I know people who not only haven't but they completely refuse to go to the theatre, I don't get it.
    You see I never get that -

'You want to go see that Kevin Spacey movie?'
    'Sure!'

'You want to go sit just six foot away from Kevin Spacey and watch him act his heart out right in front of you?'
    'Sure!'
    'Cool - I'll book the theatre tickets'
    'Oh god, not the theatre - forget it'

I don't think anything comes close the emotional connection between an audience and a good well produced group of actors performing a great play.
    aye, that's it. And then, if friend's invite me to cheap galleries, I'll go along and get SOMETHING out of it, not what they do probably but there's always the chance you'll see something awesome.
    http://www.vimeo.com/874029/

:) just for some art