Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

understanding the cut of the 10p tax band.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i keep seeing on the tv about the scrapping of the 10p tax band and says it effects poorer people, mainly under 25s earning less than around £20k. how is this so? say you are earning £19k you should already be paying 22% tax anyway shouldnt you?

can anyone explain.

also, what are peoples thoughts on it?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    first say 5k was tax free
    next 5k (ish) was taxed at 10p
    rest of it at 22p

now its just
    5k tax free
    everything else at 20p

so say you earned 10k, 5k is tax free, the next 5k, instead of paying 10% on you are now paying 20% on

By the time you get over 18/19k or so, the 2p in every pound less lax you have paid on everything over the fiirst 10k, means you work out better
  • Options
    right got ya!

i can see why its upset so many people then.
  • Options
    The stats I've seen say if you are on an income of below £18k and don't have children, you could be upto £232 worse off each year.

Last year, presuming you were on a standard tax code of 522L, you could earn £5225 tax free, then were taxed 10% on the next £2230 you earnt and then taxed 22% on the next £34600.

This year, presuming your tax code has been uplifted to 543L, you can earn £5435 tax free, then will be taxed 20% on the next £36000 you earn.

It's the fact you are being taxed more on that first £2230 - 20% now instead of 10% last year - which is affecting people on lower incomes. Once you earn over £18k, the switch between 10%+22% to 20% balances itself out just about.

That's the way I understand it.. Please, Joolyknockers, come along and correct me or confirm it so that I know I'm doing my job properly! (I work in payroll).
  • Options
    right got ya!

i can see why its upset so many people then.

Cos it will hurt the people who can afford it least.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Cos it will hurt the people who can afford it least.

read again what i put :P

i said i can see why it has upset so many people then.

i fully understand the implications for people on lower incomes. :thumb:
  • Options
    read again what i put :P

i said i can see why it has upset so many people then.

i fully understand the implications for people on lower incomes. :thumb:

sorry :p
  • Options
    The stats I've seen say if you are on an income of below £18k and don't have children, you could be upto £232 worse off each year.

Last year, presuming you were on a standard tax code of 522L, you could earn £5225 tax free, then were taxed 10% on the next £2230 you earnt and then taxed 22% on the next £34600.

This year, presuming your tax code has been uplifted to 543L, you can earn £5435 tax free, then will be taxed 20% on the next £36000 you earn.

It's the fact you are being taxed more on that first £2230 - 20% now instead of 10% last year - which is affecting people on lower incomes. Once you earn over £18k, the switch between 10%+22% to 20% balances itself out just about.

That's the way I understand it.. Please, Joolyknockers, come along and correct me or confirm it so that I know I'm doing my job properly! (I work in payroll).

Thats pretty much it (ex-payroller), plus the lack of tax credits for lower paid young workers (people with childen wont be hit so badly if they claim tax credits) will mean they get hit the hardest.
  • Options
    i for one hope it stays as it is now.

I've been missing out for years and this year I finally get a good budget, and they want to reverse it.

piss off! :p
  • Options
    I don't see how they can change it back, to be honest.

Surely a u-turn so close to a general election wouldn't do them any favours!! (would be suprised if they (could!) change it this tax year so any change would be from next April which is very close to the predicted May 2009 general election.. not exactly enough time for the nation to forgive and forget this f*ck-up!).
  • Options
    You got it right Crystal Tipps - for someone on a higher income it does balance itself out and simplify the tax system BUT for a part-timer like me it will do me out of a couple more quid a week. I worked it out to be about £10 a month more for me which is a bummer.

I have no idea how they can change it back and I can't see it happening quickly.... I think it will probably be next tax year too. I've been on maternity leave since August 07 so I was lucky enough to escape all the software and legislation updates at work, I'm dreading going back now LOL!!
  • Options
    You got it right Crystal Tipps...

Phew, thank you! :) (thankyou too purplebutterfly!)

Someone asked me about it at work today but my boss waded in and confused the issue (otherwise known as baffled him with bullshit and still didn't give the right answer!) so now I can go back to him and give him this explanation :)
  • Options
    think its a really awful tax increase me an my mum are barely paying the rent as it is an now theyve changed housing benefits as well so we dont get very much from that either I dont know how i'll ever be able to move out if they keep making things harder for the people who have little money because although i'll be okay my mum will probably wind up in a cardboard box somewhere. Its all so frustrating.
  • Options
    Basically put Brown screwed over poor people who dont vote (young single people) so that he could get good front pages with his last budget. Which I think tells you everything you need to know about how much he really cares about poverty. Having said that though the Tories care even less.
  • Options
    I think it's a disgrace, and as usual, young people who don't have children and go to work full time get screwed over.
  • Options
    The higher rate should go up by 1% and the tax free allowance should go up so the income to the government is the same.

The people earning a lot wouldnt notice 1% but the people struggling at the bottom would notice more tax free.
  • Options
    yes, bring other people down to compensate those not earling as much :rolleyes:

just leave it as is, and alternate every couple of years.
    screw both over, but on alternating years is my solution.
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »

Too complicated.
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »

So that extra 1% on earnings over £40k is really going to bring people down?
  • Options
  • Options
    i see Brown has come out today promising to give something back to the people who are missing out now..

guarentee'd it'll only be of benefit to people on rediculously small wages like less than £10000 and i'll be caught in the middle with just less money.

stupid idea, stupid brown, no fucking chance are labour getting a vote from me this time, after 7 years of voting for them, thats it for me until they start doing something sensible.

Tony Blair was great, thought he was top, Gordon Brown might as well be Gordon the Gofer, altho he was more appealing.