Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

electoral role - WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, so I had a bunch of dodgy African people living next to me for about a year (not for the past 6 months though) - and now that there's a local election on May 1st(or 3rd, I dunno) - I've received 3 electoral role vote cards for people I have never heard of.

I believe it was my neighbours, but have no proof - yet they have registered at MY address - and it was confirmed this morning by the electoral role people - although could only give a confirmation that I was not the only one registered at my address (because I couldn't remember the names off hand).

Now, I've already received an AOL bill for these people summing to £150 which I have sorted with AOL in terms of clearing my name (was addressed to yet ANOTHER name on my address) - and have thought about the following:

Electoral Role
Council Tax advisors (as I am getting 25% discount)

Are there any other departments I should contact?
Or have any ideas?

My bank accoutns are fine - just frustrated to have to clear all this up.

Thanks for any help,
Sorry if it didn't make much sense, Ask and I'll clarify something.

J :)

ps - I traced the AOL screenname and I'm pretty convinced the girl who used it was the woman living next door (I found her facebook and myspace - she looks like a slapper, if anyone's interested) - so I am also convinced this group of Africans are also to blame for my other issues.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Is it relevant that they're African?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Is it relevant that they're African?

Maybe they're Nigerian, in which case it's very relevant ;)

There may be an innocent reason for all it though, maybe they are filling in their address wrong on forms or royal mail have them registered at the wrong address. Have you tried popping round to ask them?
  • Options
    he said in his first post that they've not been there for the last 6 months, so I doubt that's possible!
  • Options
    Yes, Nigerian.
    Which also happen to be one of the most responsible for frauds.

The fact there are around 40 different names on their post on a daily basis (communal posting area) also shows something is up.

I doubt they are innocent. But the point of the post was tofind out if there's anyone I should contact in regards to checking things are amiss.

Thanks btw GWST
  • Options
    er, yes, they do sound dodgy as fuck, just checking why you needed to tell us they were African specifically. And yes, I am fully aware that there are countries that are renowned for scamming, but Africa is a huge continent, so it just seemed weird to mention it.
  • Options
    Maybe it was just an adjective? Not everyone who uses as race or nationality to describe someone is being racist.
  • Options
    er, yes, they do sound dodgy as fuck, just checking why you needed to tell us they were African specifically. And yes, I am fully aware that there are countries that are renowned for scamming, but Africa is a huge continent, so it just seemed weird to mention it.

Maybe he's just doing it to describe them?
  • Options
    well, i could have said stupid people, or neighbouring people, but i chose African, so sue me.

Anyways, I just got home and there are 3 credit cards for these people, also in my address.

Time to contact Amex too. grrr
  • Options
    Maybe it was just an adjective? Not everyone who uses as race or nationality to describe someone is being racist.

don't be retarded.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Maybe he's just doing it to describe them?

ha ha
  • Options
    don't be retarded.

In what way am I being retarted? And why laugh at ^^?
  • Options
    I don't see why he mentioned they were African too. If they were white or blonde would that have been mentioned to describe them?
  • Options
    but its just a description like saying the polish people next door, the scousers, the mancs etc etc

nothing wrong with it really :confused:
  • Options
    Indeed, people take any sort of description of race as "oh my god, you are being racist!!!??!"
  • Options
    I wasn't saying he was being racist I was just wondering why there was any need for a description.
  • Options
    Kinda natural if you are talkign about people to mention something about them maybe?
  • Options
    maybe we're thinking about it too much?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    maybe we're thinking about it too much?

I think you're right.
  • Options
    who REALLY cares ... they ARE African.
    It's not like I lied or anything.

Fuck sake
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »
    who REALLY cares ... they ARE African.
    It's not like I lied or anything.

Fuck sake
    :heart:
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Wait wait wait, lets just ignore the original post of derail yet another thread with more accusations of racism
    What are you talking about sweetie, what accusations of racism?
  • Options
    I have to say that my house gets some WEIRD mail. My landlord is registered here to vote which is rather odd, I've lived in the house for near on.... 4 years and I still get letters for people I don't know. The baliffs have been around (though this has been all sorted thank god) for some Argentinian guy that ran up a £4k credit card bill and £2k phonebill. How do you make all the stuff stop. I'm sick of getting letters for people I don't know.
  • Options
    How do you make all the stuff stop. I'm sick of getting letters for people I don't know.

Send them all back return to sender. Some places wil get the hint if you do it enough. I send most of the junk mail addressed to me back rts and it does work with some places after a couple of times.