Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

BSG - Six of one *now with free SPOILERS*

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Okay - much as I love Battlestar can someone explain what happened with the latest episode to me - this show just went from challenging and interesting Sci-fi to full blown artistic genius. I really can't remember a better, more real or more involving episode of television. So, new director, new writer, new general direction? I guess regardless of the reason this really is something you don't want to be missing.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It was good wasn't it? I just do not get the Cylons at all (and kudos for the creators for not making them cardboard villains - but a complex, multi-faceted society)
    sounds great
    Jim V wrote: »
    new general direction?

This. Apparently the network told the writers to make episodes more "stand alone" in the third season, so that new viewers could pick it up and know what's going on without having to catch up with past eps. Needless to say, this led to dwindling ratings, so the writers were allowed to do it properly with the fourth.
    *Spoilers if you aint seen it*

Well, if i might throw in my 2 cents, which i am going to do, i think it was indeed outstanding artistic Genius! And i think the long term planning is clear, the way Number 1 (Cavil) had the Number 3's (D'Anna) Boxed for the whole eye of Jupiter vision quest. Then this split of 3 on 3, an all out Cylon civil war of 1's, 4's and 5's vs. 2's 6's and 8's (minus Boomer). The idea that Raiders and Centurions are essentially intelligent... maybe if they weren't oppressed they would rise up themselves? It is just Sheer GENIUS!

Also, i think Gaeta needs to lighten up, i get he is all broody now because of his time as Baltars right hand man, but seriously, he needs to Chill.

PS- Cant wait to see how Cally reacts when she finds out her kid is half a toaster!
    I know this sounds sick, but hear me out, i almost wet myself with storytelling glee when adama got shot by another one of his crew

Oh wait, he was just having an episode :P

Seriously these episodes are brilliant.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Don't use the word "toaster", cylons are people! :p

What sounds strange to me is that Tigh is a cylon. Didn't Adama know him for years and years, since soon after (or during) the first war? If the human-like cylons were invented so early how come they didn't appear until 40 years later?
    Unless there was a real Tigh who got replaced with a copy at some point...
    No, the implied point of the final five is that they didn't come after the other human cylons - they are something different. The implication is that the others have neevr been permitted to talk about them - they may have numbered themselves 1,2,3 etc but that doesn't mean these were built before Cavil. They've lived their whole lives and they've always been cylons but there's a reason which I'm sure will be explained, why they aren't part of cylon culture.

After all the Raiders refused to fight because they thought the 5 might be on Galactica - it's like finding out Jesus is on the other side from you in a war...

They are the work of God not the work of man.

least in my view /geek
    Also, i think Gaeta needs to lighten up, i get he is all broody now because of his time as Baltars right hand man, but seriously, he needs to Chill.

He really does need to get laid doesn't he? Though I like the idea he's becoming more intolerant and corrupt as Baltar becomes more redeemed...
    That bit in razor where adama comes across what looks to be early cylon experiements with the humans, i think thats where the clones started, well the copies i mean!
    I know the numbers don't necessarily mean the order they were made in, but my point was something else:
    As seen in razor flashbacks, during the first war they'd begun experiments but they didn't actually have results. Then they went away for 40 years, presumably to finish those experiments.
    But Tigh was around at the end of the first war (at the earliest), and not only he turns out to be a successful result, but probably much "better" than the "simple seven" too. So if they could make him then, that negates what we thought about the reason they left for 40 years. And begs the question: Why did they go away for so long after all?

But I agree on something: Especially with the part about the music etc, it does seem like the organic cylons were created by something more mystical than intelligent robots.
    Well, Sharon "Athena" Agathon said during Razor that the hybrids were an evolutionary dead end in the cylons attempts to evolve to flesh and blood from machines. That was during the war they did these experiments at a time when ships were just ships and centurions were just robots.
    Adama met Tigh in a bar fight years after the war ended and after both men had being kicked out of the service as no longer needed. Well, those were the memories of Tigh, but maybe at the same time the cylons were trying to make Hybrids they were also trying to make "human-models" and Tigh was one of the first successes and as a result of being "too human" left to join humanity himself. It is only a theory but it is mine for now.

Remember the cylons didnt attack the colonies because they had perfected their human-models and infiltrated with enough spies, they attacked because of the covert mission that crossed the armistice line into their territory, they believed the colonies would attack to exterminate them, so they attacked first.
    Also, you have to call Cylons Toasters... if you don't how can you make jokes about Sharon and Helo having more kids, you know, "put another bun in the toaster" ;)
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Remember the cylons didnt attack the colonies because they had perfected their human-models and infiltrated with enough spies, they attacked because of the covert mission that crossed the armistice line into their territory, they believed the colonies would attack to exterminate them, so they attacked first.
    Is that a fact? I got the feeling it was just Adama blaming himself, while still possible.
    Jim V wrote: »
    No, the implied point of the final five is that they didn't come after the other human cylons - they are something different. The implication is that the others have neevr been permitted to talk about them - they may have numbered themselves 1,2,3 etc but that doesn't mean these were built before Cavil. They've lived their whole lives and they've always been cylons but there's a reason which I'm sure will be explained, why they aren't part of cylon culture.

After all the Raiders refused to fight because they thought the 5 might be on Galactica - it's like finding out Jesus is on the other side from you in a war...

They are the work of God not the work of man.

least in my view /geek

:yes: - or at least a major portion of their lives. It's seems a reverse of Exodous - except those who are fleeing are the worshipers of idols and those who are chasing them are the worshippers of God. But if God is all merciful he must also forgive the humans, even if they have strayed from the path and that's why his angel directed Starbuck to Earth.
    i think the conclusion abnd theme of the show is that there is very little difference between the cylons and humans really....

also like how Cylons 1-4 and boomer want to kill all humans, whilst 5,6 and 8 want to be a bit more progressive, which leave model 7 and 10-12 who are in the human fleet - i believe tyrol is the number 12 ie a fixer and helper and is the complete opposite to number 1, Cavil who is technical but entirely destructive

just what is baltar though, apart from possibly psychotic seeing himself, i think he has some relation to their creator, especially as in the pilot he was said to be an expert on AI
    Maybe Baltar is the next evolution of humanity, because he can do that thing where he can see and create his own reality inside his own head if he so chooses to, like the cylons can.
    hmm watching episode 3 at the moment from last ngiht in america

it's good, though i'm well annoyed yet not suprised at one character being harsh :(
    In case anyone remembers (about season 3) (I should remember better, I saw it a week ago, but anyway):
    When D'anna saw the final five, afterwards she told Gaius "You were right" and he asked "About what?".
    Is there something else he had told her that was dubious, other than that he might be a cylon? What else could she be referring to?

EDIT: One other thing, I keep expecting the doctor to talk about differences between humans and cylons and say something like "One unnatural thing is that their cells, unlike ours, are based on carbon" :D
    BSG episode 3, and doctor who episode three

both about to be watched now!
    I can not believe Tori did that to Cally! I just can't! Or that the 6's, 8's and 2's were dumb enough to fall for Cavil's plan.
    WOW! Seriously heating up there, murder, alliances, cylon and human, just top stuff!