Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Psychics forsee big trouble over new laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story
LONDON (Reuters) - Fortune-tellers, mediums and spiritual healers will march on Downing Street on Friday to protest against new laws they fear will lead to them being "persecuted and prosecuted."

Organizers say that replacing the Fraudulent Mediums Act of 1951 with new consumer protection rules will remove key legal protection for "genuine" mediums.

They think skeptics might bring malicious prosecutions to force spiritualists to prove in court that they can heal people, see into the future or talk to the dead.

Psychics also fear they will have to give disclaimers describing their services as entertainment or as scientific experiments with unpredictable results.

"If I'm giving a healing to someone, I don't want to have to stand there and say I don't believe in what I'm doing," Carole McEntee-Taylor, a healer who co-founded the Spiritual Workers Association, told Reuters.

The group will deliver a petition with 5,000 names to the prime minister's office, although Gordon Brown is away in the United States.

With the changes expected to come into force next month, spiritualists have faced a barrage of headlines gleefully suggesting that they should have seen it coming.

But many don't see the funny side. They say the new rules will shift the responsibility of proving they are not frauds from prosecutors and onto them.

"By repealing the Act, the onus will go round the other way and we will have to prove we are genuine," said McEntee-Taylor, from Essex. "No other religion has to do that."

The British Humanist Association, a charity which campaigns against religion and supernatural beliefs, said stricter regulations were overdue because the current laws don't work.

"It is misleading for spiritualists to claim that, as religious' practitioners they should not be regulated under consumer laws," said Chief Executive Hanne Stinson.

"The psychic industry is huge and lucrative and it exploits some very vulnerable, and some very gullible, people with claims for which there is no scientific evidence."

What do people think of this?

All I can say is :lol:

Comments

• Options
    Surely they should have seen this coming :D
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Maybe it's like asking Jesus to prove he's the Christ?

If Jesus was selling miracle faith healings a a few hundred quid a pop, then yes.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Surely they should have seen this coming :D

My thoughts too. Then they could have protested before the government men even thought about it. Is this fact enough to prove their falshood i wonder.
  • Options
    Great move, in my opinion. Too many so called "psychics" and "mediums" taking advantage of and profiting from people's grief, vulnerabilities and fears. Not to mention playing on general lack of knowledge of NLP and cold reading techniques etc. and how these can achieve exactly the same effects with no claims of ESP.
  • Options
    I phoned the Spiritualist Workers Association, but they were closed due to unforseen circumstances !
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I phoned the Spiritualist Workers Association, but they were closed due to unforseen circumstances !

:thumb:
  • Options
    Vulnerable

I agree there should be some kind of protectection for the vulnerable, it is my experience that some people don't get enough help from conventional sources and often turn to alternatives some of which may not be very helpful. However if everything had to be given the stamp of approval by scientificaly proven methods that would rule out religion too.
  • Options
    Mandalena wrote: »
    However if everything had to be given the stamp of approval by scientificaly proven methods that would rule out religion too.

Religion's purpose isn't to make money. Theoretically, at least. It doesn't have the same payment/service setup of a spiritual healer. I think a much more interesting question would be how this will effect the role of certain alternative treatments on the NHS, which are equally devoid of evidence as so-called faith healers.
  • Options
    Have to say whilst this kind of thing is open to a lot of people, I've found people who are 'slower' or emotionally / mentally troubled (plenty of relatives with MH troubles) are much much more likely to believe it's true and pay through the teeth for some nutjob to say because the clouds are out tonight they're going to win the lottery. I don't mind if it's done altruistically but the sums of money involved and how it does seem to target those who are gullible makes me dubious. Just from personal experiences I know of at least one spirit guide who used his 'powers' to get in the good graces of a woman, and proceeded to go out with her. She was suffering from scitzophrenia so much more likely to believe the kind of 'spirits are around us' things.
  • Options
    personally, i see it as if someone really has these powers then they will provide them for free. I have and still do give reki for free, and i would never think of asking for payment.
  • Options
    personally, i see it as if someone really has these powers then they will provide them for free. I have and still do give reki for free, and i would never think of asking for payment.

which is fine, it's about fraudsters ie people who make money from it

do you get those spritualist healer things through your door from people who claim they can solve and help your problems, financially as well as emotionally

it's there to deal with them

the old law, was the one that replaced the withcraft laws from the 17th century, and to date i believe noone has been prosecuted from it, because you had to prove that person knew they were a fake, which is impossible to prove without the person admitting to knowing they're a fake
  • Options
    Mandalena wrote: »
    I agree there should be some kind of protectection for the vulnerable, it is my experience that some people don't get enough help from conventional sources and often turn to alternatives some of which may not be very helpful. However if everything had to be given the stamp of approval by scientificaly proven methods that would rule out religion too.

Religion is about cause ...effect and finale. IT's ABOUT AN INTELIGENT designer with a plan...MAN. oopsps
    What realy gets me about all this stuff ...more so the talking to dead relatives ...is that the people who believe your grandma is trying to contact you also believe the theory of evolution.
    No purpose no design. Fine.
    But then on top of this accident ...a place was accidently created ...theres that word again ... created ...a place was accidently created ...where our thinking longing feeling communicating minds can go to ...while the physical bit turns to dust ...come on!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Belief in evolution and souls isn't mutually exclusive... For all we know (for all we can prove anyway), creatures started evolving souls as well as bodies, or souls were floating around and started entering bodies when they saw they'd evolved well enough.
  • Options
    Religion's purpose isn't to make money. Theoretically, at least. It doesn't have the same payment/service setup of a spiritual healer.

Scientology?
  • Options
    Belief in evolution and souls isn't mutually exclusive... For all we know (for all we can prove anyway), creatures started evolving souls as well as bodies, or souls were floating around and started entering bodies when they saw they'd evolved well enough.

You could postulate a myriad of ridiculous hypothesis with the qualifier "for all we know".

The universe is just the ejaculate of a giant randy space-monkey.....for all we know.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You could postulate a myriad of ridiculous hypothesis with the qualifier "for all we know".

The universe is just the ejaculate of a giant randy space-monkey.....for all we know.
    :yes:
  • Options
    Scientology?

Presumably the reason it's not a recognised religion in Europe. At least some of it.
  • Options

Worra load o bollox!