Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Don't Have All The Entry Requirements - Worth Applying?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm in the process of choosing the open days I would like to go to. I emailed Leeds on Thursday and asked them if they accept BTECs instead of A levels. They said no; but do offer a very similar degree that would accept what I will be studying for in September.

I had a look at this course and it asks for a B in GCSE Maths. I only have a C - is it still worth me applying? I have no intention of retaking Maths, because I have a C and really don't want to waste my time retaking when I could be concentrating on my BTEC and GCSE English. (which I don't have a C in)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure it would be. In clearing there is often a bit of wiggle room with grades, but not too sure about in normal applications. I'd call them up and ask.
  • Options
    Get in touch and ask, and slip in a question about the support they offer for disabled students at the same time (just so they know you would be one).

Whille a lot of courses are open to negotiation on some of the entry requirements, the GCSE ones are often a blanket fixed requirement and an application without the standards they ask for will get chucked straight away.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Although some universities offer 'catch up' courses to those who havent got the grades anyway so might be worth seeing if they offer that too.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Although some universities offer 'catch up' courses to those who havent got the grades anyway so might be worth seeing if they offer that too.

Are you talking about a foundation course/year or something else?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    No - an extra 2 hours of study in your first year to learn the work you need then sit the exam hence gaining the GCSE grade.
  • Options
    BTEc should be accepted everywhere due to the fact they can be translated into Ucas points?
  • Options
    Virus wrote: »
    BTEc should be accepted everywhere due to the fact they can be translated into Ucas points?

I thought this - A BTEC is a national course and is designed to be converted into UCAS points - unlike a cache etc which are meant for workplace.

Are you sure you spoke to someone knowledgable of the uni/course/requirements and you heard right?
  • Options
    Just because something translates into UCAS points it doesn't mean that it is instantly an acceptable qualifcation for entrance to every university course. A Levels and BTECs are very different qualifications.
  • Options
    depends on how high the demand is for the course

all they want is your money

if there is room, i think they'll let you in, but those with the requirements will get prioritised until that point
  • Options
    Virus wrote: »

Not everywhere accepts them. Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, etc only accept A Levels.
  • Options
    Well, why not? You've nothing to actually lose by applying - they may even say yes. I'd give it a shot.
  • Options
    I got into York without the entry grades as did a friend of mine, I think most universities make money from students so they are keen to get as many as they can.
  • Options
    You're definitely on the right track emailing the individual unis to find out. Do make follow up calls too. Even if they say no now, keep hold of the people you've contacted and speak to them again during clearing, they may well have a place going they're willing to give you. Scarymonster's advice is good too, let them know you have a disability and see what they can do for you in that department too. Good luck.
  • Options
    I emailed them and got this reply:

We would look carefully at the rest of your application to look
    at your overall profile in subjects with high mathematical content.
    If you list your GCSE grades and your module grades so far in your
    BTEC (and predicted overall grade if you know it) then we can give
    you a clearer indication of whether we might consider making you an
    offer.
  • Options
    Which I suspect translates to:

We'll think about it if you have other evidence that you are good at maths.
  • Options
    That is how I read it as well.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    No idea. Sorry. I got in with no grades because I'm an old fart. ;)

:lol: I've been told that I can go down that route as well, but don't have enough experience to do it that way.