Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's the point in getting a mortgage?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd much have a mortgage and own my own place then rent. A mortgage would probably work out cheaper in the area I live in and I'd have much more long term security for housing. My brothers moved twice in the last eight months because hes had so many problems renting.
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    ours was £6000? and we only bought it a month ago - i don't think £6000 is an unreasonable amount to save if theres 2 of you over a couple of years or so. I know a couple of people who have got 100% ones aswell so they didn't need a deposit.
    Lol. Try and find a reputable mortgage lender today that will provide a 100% mortgage where you don't need a deposit. It's precisely those sort of spivvy instruments that have led to the credit crunch. Most decent reputable lenders today will ask for a 10% deposit, hence my £20k figure (for a decent flat in a town/city outside London, good starting point for many).
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    Lol. Try and find a reputable mortgage lender today that will provide a 100% mortgage where you don't need a deposit. It's precisely those sort of spivvy instruments that have led to the credit crunch. Most decent reputable lenders today will ask for a 10% deposit, hence my £20k figure (for a decent flat in a town/city outside London, good starting point for many).

Which is why it's best to save up first. Me and my wife were saving constantly for 3 years to afford a deposit. Unfortunately a lot of people nowadays don't understand the concept.
  • Options
    ?

Renting is so simple, easy and hassle-free. It's so affordable. Often it can leave you with ample spare money to do things with

My fella was renting a one bed flat, it was £350 pcm, we now pay £400 per month on a 2 bed terrace house, with a garden! Weres the logic in that?

I hate renting, I think its a waste of money. At the flat I wouldnt do anything to it, cos it wasnt mine, so felt like I was throwing money away.

I like to know that this is our house, a landlord cant come and throw us out, we can decorate it how we like.

My mum and dad have got 3 years left on their mortgage (they bought their house for like 16k!) then theres my grandparents, they will be paying rent for the rest of their life.
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    My mum and dad have got 3 years left on their mortgage (they bought their house for like 16k!) then theres my grandparents, they will be paying rent for the rest of their life.

How come they never bought?
  • Options
    Previously it was the norm for most people in the UK to rent rather than to own thier property. Mortgages were much harder to get in the 50's and 60's than they are now and buying your own home wasnt' really possible for many people.

In addition historically tennants have had much stronger rights than they have today, most of my relatives were in long term rental agreements, my great aunt took over the rental agreement on the house that her mother had lived in with a rental price that was fixed before the war!
  • Options
    I've just been looking at leasehold, you can get charged by the freeholder (say for example, they want a new bathroom) but new laws were put in place to protect you. So you take them to court and win - but then (and this is the best bit) - they can actually add their legal expenses (of you taking them to court) onto the cost of running the freehold and pass it back to you. It's laughable!
  • Options

As i said we bought a house/sorted out a morgtgage a month ago, and our deposit was 5% and thats with Nationwide, and they are not exactly a back street mortgage shop.
  • Options
    Renting is better when you're quite obviously living in an area you would not be able to buy in.

For example... Me.

Apartment value approx £650-750k (2 bed in Nottinghill). Rent approx £2k a month. There is no way on God's green earth I could get a mortgage anywhere near that unless I had recently sold property with a remotely similar value (£500k upwards).

In regards to London, it is quite often the only option.

On the plus side, I already own an apartment ooop Norf, so I'm ok with that.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Apartment value approx £650-750k (2 bed in Nottinghill). Rent approx £2k a month.

:crazyeyes We pay £400 a month for a 2 bed terraced house! Our combined wage is £2k a month! Are wages significantly higher in London or is everyone skint!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    :crazyeyes We pay £400 a month for a 2 bed terraced house! Our combined wage is £2k a month! Are wages significantly higher in London or is everyone skint!

:lol:

Wages aren't that much higher in general... I do have a good job though. :)

Rent in some areas of London is shocking. I was checking out an utterly stunning 2 bed to let in a converted church just down the road from where I am now. The price wasn't on the ad... Turned out to be £2,200 a week. I honestly asked the guy if it was a mis-print in his notes. To be fair, it was utterly stunning - movie-set stunning, but Christ that's a bit much. You pays yer money, you makes yer choice, I guess.

You'll rarely find a room in a shared house that is anything half decent for under £400 a month, from experience, unless its MILES from the centre.

ETA - This is a flat for rent on my street: 2 Bed

£2000 a month is quite cheap for the area. The one in the link is also smaller than mine... But it is, admittedly, a lot nicer.

Funnily enough though, Council Tax in Westminster is dirt cheap compared to elsewhere. That one is £688/year :)
  • Options
    :

ETA - This is a flat for rent on my street: 2 Bed

:crazyeyes Wow. Its done out mega posh though, ours is a wee little terraced with 70s style kitchen and upstairs ceiling so low you bash your head off the lampshades and I'm only 5'2! The whole house is on a slant so when you sit on a swivel chair its really hard to stay in front of the desk and none of the doors line up with the ceilings. Still you get what you pay for! Its nice and homely - and cheap!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    :crazyeyes Wow. Its done out mega posh though, ours is a wee little terraced with 70s style kitchen and upstairs ceiling so low you bash your head off the lampshades and I'm only 5'2! The whole house is on a slant so when you sit on a swivel chair its really hard to stay in front of the desk and none of the doors line up with the ceilings. Still you get what you pay for! Its nice and homely - and cheap!

Awwwwwww - sounds cute :)
  • Options
    g_angel how much is rent in Slough nr. London? Might be doing some summer work there :s
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    g_angel how much is rent in Slough nr. London? Might be doing some summer work there :s

Erm...

I have no idea. :confused: Try that wonderful google invention ;) It'll be a lot cheaper than London though. It's a bit of a shithole :D

www.thegumtree.com may have a Slough branch to it. That's always good for rooms.

Oh, and it's not that close to London. It would be like saying York, nr Bradford ;)

ETA - thinking about it, there are fast trains from London Paddington out to Slough. If you can stretch, I'd get a room in London (Ealing, perhaps) and commute out there. Trains also run from Ealing Broadway. Takes about 20 minutes, if I recall. It would be MUCH more fun than living in such a dump (I worked there briefly).
  • Options
    ETA - thinking about it, there are fast trains from London Paddington out to Slough. If you can stretch, I'd get a room in London (Ealing, perhaps) and commute out there. Trains also run from Ealing Broadway. Takes about 20 minutes, if I recall. It would be MUCH more fun than living in such a dump (I worked there briefly).

But Ealing's pretty expensive. I'd love to live there one day though.
  • Options
    Meryn wrote: »
    But Ealing's pretty expensive. I'd love to live there one day though.

It's certainly not the cheapest place in the world, but you should be able to find a room in something quite nice for well under £600 a month :)

Always worth a good squizz around on thegumtree.

I recently left Ealing and it is not as nice as it once was - Queen of the Suburbs.
  • Options
    £600 a month isn't cheap! Especially when you add in the train fares.

I'd love to be able to get a mortgage, one day. I've been renting for eight years, which has cost a lot of money. Plus you have the bother of deposits/not being able to decorate/horrible landlords etc etc etc.
  • Options
    I have to say though the only advantage I can see to renting is that you can theoretically afford to live somewhere nicer than you could afford to buy - because renting is 90% about how much you are prepared to shell out a month. Whilst a mortgage is how much someone is prepared to give you (though i know you should also take into account how much you can afford to pay back).

So for example i could afford to rent in chelsea but on my wage alone i could never afford to buy there straight off.

Though obv now i am on the property ladder i obv have capital to invest and I could afford to buy in chelsea - however i've decided that i want a house with a garden instead of a flat of you see what i mean.