Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Letters of complaint - help needed!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I need to write a letter of complaint but I don't no where to start. Here is my reasons for complaining.

In September I bought a railcard online via the Young Persons rail company, but as I didn't submit a suitable photo online so they refunded the £20 they charge. But in October, I bought another YPR online and submitted a suitable photo this time so they took the money out of my account.

At Christmas, I lost my YPR and have been trying to replace it ever since, but because I got refunded in September, there seems to be a problem on the database which wont allow to be replace it for £5 due to the fact of that time I was refunded in September, despite the fact the went on to debit my account the £20 in October.

Well it's 4 months down the line and I still cannot replace the card online, so I've duly spent hours on the phone trying to sort it out, being on hold forEVER! It's not cheap to ring off my mobile phone either...Everytime I rang, they said my case had been flagged and referred to the relevant manager, so why is it still not working for me 4 months down the line?!

I REALLY cannot afford the trips and tend to save my socalizing for train trips, and having the YPR savings of 1/3 will REALLY help, so after a lot of my stubbornness I've finally decided to buy a new one, but because of the database issue with my old email, I've had to re-register from scratch, and the cost of the railcard has gone up to £24 so I've just paid for that.

SO after that, I just want some advice on how I can write a mature and concise letter of complaint to the suitable bodies. I've really had enough, but I'm not very good at doing things like this, and need some help!:banghead:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I would suggest a concise email/letter keep it relevant and including any reference numbers you might have been given including the dates and/or times (especially on the bank transactions).

You will be best emailing it to enquiry@atoc.org or writing to National Railcards, ATOC Ltd, 3rd Floor, 40 Bernard Street, London, WC1N 1BY. If you have no success via this route (give it a week or two) I have the email addresses of the National Railcard Manager and National Railcards Customer Service Manager to contact them but for obvious reasons I wouldn't want to give you that unless you have no success through the other routes.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks JsT, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Fell free to drop me a PM or anything if you need any more help. ATOC are normally very good when I have to deal with them but its different people admittedly.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Dear Sirs,

Your ref -

I am writing with regards to the above matter which relates to a Young Persons Railcard I purchased last September Unfortunately the photo I submitted was not suitable, and due to this I submitted another photo the following month as requested.

At Christmas I misplaced my card and assumed I would be eligible for the replacement card at the fee of £5, however when I enquired about this I was informed this was not the case, due to a system error made by yourselves.

I was informed 4 months ago that the matter had been referred to the relevant manager, but no progress has been made.

I am obviously aware errors occur, but your customer service policy states you have commitment to provide the safe and high-quality service your customers have the right to expect. I did not expect to have to spend numerous hours on the telephone with your advisors, and much of my spare time researching on your website. This has resulted in increased telephone costs as well as increased travel costs through no fault of my own.

I am a good customer and use your services frequently, however I am looking to use alternative transport that is not only cheaper but has a better customer service ethos. This is not something I want to do as I do feel your train services are the most suitable for my needs, but if this issue is not resolved this is what I shall have to resort to.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly with a conclusion to this lengthy matter.

Yours faithfully

Miss Smith
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I am a good customer and use your services frequently, however I am looking to use alternative transport that is not only cheaper but has a better customer service ethos. This is not something I want to do as I do feel your train services are the most suitable for my needs, but if this issue is not resolved this is what I shall have to resort to.

Nice letter but I would probably cut this paragraph ^^ as the company that does the railcards doesn't actually run any rail services. So someone recieving the email/letter will be just confused:)
    JsT wrote: »
    Nice letter but I would probably cut this paragraph ^^ as the company that does the railcards doesn't actually run any rail services. So someone recieving the email/letter will be just confused:)

oh really? Is it not National Rail?
    oh really? Is it not National Rail?
    Its a bit confusing :p

National Rail is the 'trading name' of ATOC (Assosication of train operating companies). ATOC run the railcards scheme but ATOC dont run any trains at all. The companies that ATOC represent do though. If that makes any sense :p

The rest of the letter was wicked though :D
    JsT wrote: »
    Its a bit confusing :p

National Rail is the 'trading name' of ATOC (Assosication of train operating companies). ATOC run the railcards scheme but ATOC dont run any trains at all. The companies that ATOC represent do though. If that makes any sense :p

The rest of the letter was wicked though :D

too fucking right it was haha!

That is a bit confusing, who does she send it to then? Has she therefore been contacting the right people?

All hurts my head at this time of night!!
    That is a bit confusing, who does she send it to then? Has she therefore been contacting the right people?

All hurts my head at this time of night!!

It needs to be sent to ATOC as they run the railcards scheme, I assume thats who Curvy_lass has been contacting, if not thats probably why she hasn't had much luck!

Don't worry your cute little head Miss Bunnie :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dear Sirs,

Your ref -

I am writing with regards to the above matter which relates to a Young Persons Railcard I purchased last September Unfortunately the photo I submitted was not suitable, and due to this I submitted another photo the following month as requested.

At Christmas I misplaced my card and assumed I would be eligible for the replacement card at the fee of £5, however when I enquired about this I was informed this was not the case, due to a system error made by yourselves.

I was informed 4 months ago that the matter had been referred to the relevant manager, but no progress has been made.

I am obviously aware errors occur, but your customer service policy states you have commitment to provide the safe and high-quality service your customers have the right to expect. I did not expect to have to spend numerous hours on the telephone with your advisors, and much of my spare time researching on your website. This has resulted in increased telephone costs as well as increased travel costs through no fault of my own.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly with a conclusion to this lengthy matter.

Yours faithfully

Miss Smith

uh, who's just THE coolest? :chin:
    Have you had a chance to send anything off yet?