Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wooo finally have an interview .. a phone interview :p

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well its better than nowt, i have a phone interview with Oracle on friday. Bit nervous as to be expected, don't think i've ever had a proper phone interview before. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Try to sound posh :thumb:
  • Options
    Well done kidda.

Look at the positives, at least this way they cant judge you on your looks. Which can only be a good thing in your case. ;)

Phone interviews are good though, a lot less nerve wracking than being there in person. Plus if you need a few seconds to think, you can always try the crackle, crackle hiss, his 'sorry bad line' didn't quite hear that trick. :D

I'm in London for another interview today and Friday, so know the feeling. Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    They are going to ask you the usual questions related to that kind of job, look up and prepare your answers, have them on paper or on screen in front of you. Stand or sit up in position where lungs aren't squished, speak with a smile on your face, don't ramble or rush your speach. Be friendly and polite. Prepare one or two questions for the end of interview. Treat it as an interview for whether you want to work for them as well as whether they want you, unless you're desperate.
  • Options
    Noooo this job would be awesome!!! They are a massive company so working for them would be great.

Just chatted to a mate who had the same phone interview with them. They talked about his CV and certain modules which relate to the job ( which were my best modules last year :D) and they asked him what he knows about the company.
  • Options
    Also .. what are good questions to ask?
  • Options
    That would depend on what you're bothered about, you could ask about the company's ethics or what the usual process and time scales are for progressing within the company, or why they would be the best place to work within that job market compared to other leading companies, or whatever you care about really.
  • Options
    Yeah thanks for that :)

Think i have it all sorted, just go over it before Friday :)
  • Options
    Also write down each question or the key points from it whist they ask it to you that way you can ensure you address each point in your answer.

If you are in an actual interview i also think this makes you look a bit keen as well.

I wouldnt' advise asking questions about salary, working from home, any sort of perks you might get or pension etc - because its really off putting and shoudl be something you negotiate later....
  • Options
    Yeah i've stayed well clear of questions like that. Although i know some mates who have had the same thing with other companies, and during the phone interview the interviewer has asked "what kind of salary are you looking for?" .. i wouldn't have a clue really ... average for placement jobs are about £15-16000 aren't they?
  • Options
    I had a phone interview the other day. My tips would be:

Stand up, it makes you feel more confident.

Dress smart. I know they can't see you, but if you're lying on your bed n your PJs, it won't put you in the right frame of mind.

Write down some key words and things about yourself that you want to get across. You can even tick them off once you've said them.

Write down some questions to ask them.

Don't be afraid of pauses. I was guilty of babbling a bit as there were pauses. Whereas face to face, you would be able to see that they were maybe making notes, or preparing to ask you something. Pauses feel a bit strange over the phone but don't worry.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Right im all sorted. Got some notes down, have some questions to ask, have enough to talk about myself. Nervous now though!! Bed early then up early. Wish me luck!!
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Yeah i've stayed well clear of questions like that. Although i know some mates who have had the same thing with other companies, and during the phone interview the interviewer has asked "what kind of salary are you looking for?" .. i wouldn't have a clue really ... average for placement jobs are about £15-16000 aren't they?

I'd have put them more at around the £13-14000 mark for placements...I was on 14k 2 years ago and was one of the highest salaries at the time for outside London...I think it's 14.5k now!
  • Options
    My placement was £16k a few years ago, I would have said the average is somewhere between £14k-£16k.
  • Options
    Well, just had it ... hard to tell how it went really. Don't feel particulary confident about it. Think i sounded abit nervy but don't think i said anything stupid.

She asked what i knew about the company, what i thought of the job, she asked about my past jobs, what programming experience i have, what group situations i've been in and then if i had any questions .. which i did.

I answered all the questions with some detail. Lasted about 15 minutes.

I know i read into things too much, people have told me to forget it but i can't :p

Mate off my course has had the same phone interview with them last week and he's having a second phone interview with them. The lady interviewing me didn't mention that to me, she just said it would go straight to a face to face after they've decided who they want so i dunno what that means ... i know i know ... analysing things too much :p
  • Options
    Woooo :D

Got through to the next stage .. final face to face interview and assessment day :D
  • Options
    Fucking mint. Fingers and toes crossed espesh for you. :hyper:
  • Options
    Huzzah! Good luck with the next bit :)