Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

100 Club

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm surprised that there hasn't been any thread about this since the France game...

So, five Englishmen have made it to the 100 caps club

Billy Wright
Bobby Moore
Bobby Charlton
Peter Shilton
David Beckham.

Does anyone think that the last name does/does not deserve to be in such illustrious company?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I know its not going to happen but Michael Owen isnt all that far off either!
  • Options
    I think Beckham is unfairly criticised because of who his wife is.

He's been one of the best England captains, certainly one of the most consistently successful, and he deserves all the plaudits he gets.

I also don't think he should get any more because he's no longer quite good enough. Mostly his own fault in going to the US to play.
  • Options
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been any thread about this since the France game...

Billy Wright
    Bobby Moore
    Bobby Charlton
    Peter Shilton
    David Beckham.

Does anyone think that the last name does/does not deserve to be in such illustrious company?
    You could be right. But I suspect it is simply an indication of the standards of English footballers over the years.

Because it is not a question of Beckham not having deserved 100 caps. He did, on account of being by far the best Englishman around in the last decade, and arguably the last generation. If you think Beckham does not fare well on that list, try to think how any other currrent or recent players would look...

So perhaps is just that they don't make them like they used to...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

He's been one of the best England captains, certainly one of the most consistently successful, and he deserves all the plaudits he gets.

I also don't think he should get any more because he's no longer quite good enough. Mostly his own fault in going to the US to play.

I agree entirely with all of that. He definately deserves to be up there, he is iconic to English football.
    But sadly he is past it now, prehaps earlier than he should be.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Really? I don't think most football fans could care less who his wife is. I think Beckham has been criticised for the decisions of managers personally. It appeared that he would always be picked no matter how well he played, or how poorly it made England play (an over-reliance on the long ball). No reflection on him as a player though. I think the team played to Beckham's strengths, and that made a dull team that was never going to win anything, and had no plan beside hoofing it up the pitch.
  • Options
    Really? I don't think most football fans could care less who his wife is.

Agreed, but then with Beckham being a showbiz celebrity aswell as a footballer then I'd guess a lot of (quite simple) people down the pub think if he has a bad game it's down to spending too much time on sunbeds/in LA etc.

An iconic footballer in a lot of different ways.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Agreed, but then with Beckham being a showbiz celebrity aswell as a footballer then I'd guess a lot of (quite simple) people down the pub think if he has a bad game it's down to spending too much time on sunbeds/in LA etc.
    Which is ironic because unlike most of his drunkard, bimbo-roasting teammates, David Beckham is actually a quiet family man. Ferguson was barking up the wrong tree when he suggested Beckham was being distracted by his life and going-ons outside the pitch. I could think of a few United players, and indeed many more from every other Premiership team, whose off-the-pitch antics are far more distracting and damaging to their clubs and the national team.
  • Options

Billy Wright
    Bobby Moore
    Bobby Charlton
    Peter Shilton
    David Beckham.

As for Billy wright ...i gave him what at the time was one of the most important medals in his life ..for sticking to his addiction treatment for the full eight weeks that were asked of him. In Kent as well! The Old Court House, Pinners Hill,
    Nonington,

dID YOU KNOW HE MARRIED THE Beverly sisters?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Which is ironic because unlike most of his drunkard, bimbo-roasting teammates, David Beckham is actually a quiet family man. Ferguson was barking up the wrong tree when he suggested Beckham was being distracted by his life and going-ons outside the pitch. I could think of a few United players, and indeed many more from every other Premiership team, whose off-the-pitch antics are far more distracting and damaging to their clubs and the national team.

Nobody minds what they get up to in their own time, as long as it doesn't affect their football or their training. Fergie has said that Beckham used to be great in training. He would always stay behind to work hard on things and get advice. As soon as he started having more off-the-field commitments, apparently this all stopped. That's what Fergie had a problem with. Beckham had let his off-the-field life get in the way of his football. Had he not done that, I doubt Fergie would have minded too much about his celebrity lifestyle.
  • Options
    Yes, he deserves to be in that company because ...... he's played 100 times for his country.

or was that rhetorical? Sorry, couldn't figure that out.
  • Options
    Well of course. Number of caps isn't an indicator of how good a player you are. Obviously you have to be decent, but it's equally a measure of your competition for places, along with how well you fit into a particular manager's style of play. Hell, Emile Heskey has 45 caps, and he's never really been the most talented striker that England has. Sadly though, for a long time he was the best left winger we had. And Phil Neville's 59 caps have mainly come from a lack of a left-back or defensive midfielder, since despite a huge number of caps, he's never really been a regular fixture in the team. They're all good players, but their number of caps isn't a measure of how good they are as players, just how good a job they could do at any given time.
  • Options
    Really? I don't think most football fans could care less who his wife is.

Do you really think not?

Have a look at what clubs used to chant about him and the foul abuse they used to direct at his wife. I think him marrying a popstar made people think he was too big for his boots and that had a lot to do with the abuse he got.
    how poorly it made England play (an over-reliance on the long ball). No reflection on him as a player though. I think the team played to Beckham's strengths, and that made a dull team that was never going to win anything, and had no plan beside hoofing it up the pitch.

I think that's a ridiculous statement to be quite honest. I don't think England always played fantastic football, but two of the best England performances I saw (vs Argentina in Zurich and Germany in Munich) came under Eriksson with Beckham running the show.

As for the team never looking like winning anything, in two of the three championships under Eriksson they were knocked out on penalties and twice they lost to the eventual finalists. Most sensible football observers appreciate that the world cup quarter final in 2002 was, to all intents and purposes, the final. it was the game between the two strongest teams in the tournament and England lost to a goalkeeping error. With Germany's draw we probably would have won it as the final was played at night in cooler temperatures.