Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Idiot of a friend - drink driving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, one of my friends whose been a bit of an arse for a while (not the one in the other thread, this one is generally a bad guy) - turns out he's been getting blind drunk and joy riding with people in his car.

I'm really quite tempted (as I know he's on a short leash with his parents and they'd be mortified) to let them know as it's only a matter of time until he kills someone. He used to be alright but he's got the biggest ego in the world and it's only got worse. He's ridiculously loaded too and has hidden behind his parents most of his life so has never had to deal with 'real' consequences - maybe that's part of why I want him to get in trouble for being an idiot.

There's a difference (even though both are wrong), between getting drunk and going home at 30mph, and getting drunk and racing with others at 50-60mph through villages. It's only going to take one person to be at the wrong place at the wrong time and he's going to get sent down for death by dangerous driving.

It's a shame because he used to be ok, he's gone downhill though.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    get the guy done, and done in the sense of him nicked

ive known people killed by drink drivers, and im sure im not the only person on here that does

id personally want to wring his neck!
  • Options
    Had to google that word schadenfreude heh. I think it's a mix. I think he is grossly irresponsible and is putting people in danger. He really is ignorant to the consequences of his actions - whenever something goes wrong his parents normally fix it. But how far can he push it?

I think if it was a friend I didn't think needed an attitude change, I'd have a word with them, but even talking to him about it now he seems to think he can do no wrong. I just said on MSN "you're going to kill someone drink driving" and he said "not me mate", as in he's too good a driver.

As for pleasure through misfortune, I don't want him to suffer and I won't enjoy it - I just don't enjoy seeing someone with such a lack of responsibility to life. Can't defend myself from wanting him to get his comeuppance though.

The other week he was talking about doing something silly and I told him not to, if he needed to talk I was there, so I must be concerned at some level. He's just mixed up. Turned out he was gay not long ago and I'm pretty sure he is (he made moves on me and another male friend), but has a not liberal family and so not come out openly, since got a 'girlfriend' who really is taking him for all he's worth (it's actually tragic) and since money is no object to him... then he found out she's actually seeing some other guys and wanted to top himself. Then he's best buds with her again now, buying her ludicrously expensive gifts.

He just lacks that sense of maturity and it's manifested in all his actions. And drink driving recklessly above the speed limit with passengers is going way too far, so I don't know what to do :(.

The only reason I know is another mutual friend told me because they were concerned he was gonna kill himself doing it, so I think there's genuine cause for concern.
  • Options
    I know someone that has just got their licence back after a 2 year ban because of drink driving. A couple of days later he's back doing it again. Some never learn.
  • Options
    Shop him. The rest of the stuff is trivial, IMO.
  • Options
    BTW the source I found out from is the barman from where he was drinking.
  • Options
    Turns out the barman / my mate is going to hand him in to police if he does it again so... (and that's the only place he drinks, so could be tonight) it's not like he has peer pressure either, there's a few of them there and mostly sensible - all been talking about him being a tw*t, it's just him and this stupid girl. He shows off to try to impress her and she has all of 3 braincells.
  • Options
    If the barman decides not to shop him then you need to,either to the police or to his folk. If he hasn't got the brains to stop by himself then he needs someone else to do it for him.
  • Options
    drink driving is such a stupid dangerous thing to do and very selfish cos its usually innocent people who get hurt, I know that on a personal level from loosing my sister and brother in law in an accident with a drunk driver. you need to go to the police or his parents or at least try to get him to understand what a stupid thing it is to do.
  • Options
    GRASS!
    As in dob him in.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    If the barman decides not to shop him then you need to,either to the police or to his folk. If he hasn't got the brains to stop by himself then he needs someone else to do it for him.

:yes: Hes taking a stupid risk with his life and with others and someone needs to make him see this.

I used to know someone who lost thier licence and very nearly got a custodial sentance because they got caught drink driving. Got their licence back and continued to do it (never occured to them as a heavy drinker they would still be over the limit in the mornings :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    You do have some interesting mates Shyboy!

This girl on my team drink drives all the time, got sent to rehab, made a big joke out of it and acts like she's fucking Amy Winehouse now.

I'd say something, could even save the life of somebody someday? Grass or no grass, you'd feel beyond shite if somebody died by getting hit by a car driven by this lunatic this weekend.
  • Options
    Yea Bri! Another of my friends is a hopeless driver, the other week she reversed straight into a car and then drove off! I wasn't there but if I was... she crashes quite a lot though. Has never stopped to give her details though, really bad!

But as it stands I'm going to leave it to my barman mate. If he never does it again - good - but if he does we do need to stop him even if it means calling the police. My mate was quite close to calling the cops last time but thought twice. Apparently, the driver also at times lets this girl drive and she hasn't got a driving licence let alone tax - and I really do mean it when I say she has 3 brain cells.
  • Options
    thought twice? i know hes a mate but that shouldn't make a difference. the fact that hes done it repeatedly suggests he isnt going to stop any time soon. one of you needs to tell someone.
  • Options
    Nah ...don't do anything about it ...the dead childs parents won't blame you ...and you'll get over your guilt quicker than they will their loss.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote: »
    thought twice? i know hes a mate but that shouldn't make a difference. the fact that hes done it repeatedly suggests he isnt going to stop any time soon. one of you needs to tell someone.

I know where you're coming from, I wasn't there at the time. But just have to wait and see now.
  • Options
    The sooner you shop him the better chance he has of not killing someone. People like this are fucking morons, they cause misery and your "mate" obviously doesn't give a shit.
    Next time you're in the pub with him, ring the police about 20 minutes before he's due to leave then ring again when he does. Hopefully then he'll get what he deserves and won't kill someone.
  • Options
    As much as I dislike turning 'mates' in behind their back, but as you told, it sounds he has his ass firmly rammed up his arse, thinks he's invincible, so he won't heed any words of warning. So no point in warning him or giving him an ultimatum. I guess it's safest that you shop him (i have no idea what this means, but I will just use it in the same context as everyone else :D ).

By the sound of it, getting blind drunk and really RACING, I think it is actually pretty lucky he hasn't hurt anyone yet. Do you think informing his parents will help?
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I guess it's safest that you shop him (i have no idea what this means, but I will just use it in the same context as everyone else :D ).

Means reporting someone to the authorities
  • Options
    My old housemate used to drink drive quite often. Not blind drunk (well, on a couple of occasions he was), but after 3 or 4 pints. He seemed to forget we lived with a CID detective... I actually asked the copper to have a quiet word, which went along the lines of:

"Mate, you're a nice bloke, and I like you - but if I hear about you drink driving again, I will take you in. No questions."

That was the end of that. It is the one thing coppers hold no leeway on. They know how much shit it can cause.
  • Options
    I'd let the cops know about it. Generally, they take no prisoners as far as drink-driving/allegations of drink-driving go.
  • Options
    I wasn't there at the time and have no material evidence now, but definately if he does it again whoever is about is going to let the cops know.