Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Counselling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have an degree in psychology and I'm interested in going into counselling

Is anyone a trained counsellor, or training to be a counsellor? I'm interested in what jobs people have involving counselling and the route they took to get there

Thanks!

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey kangoo,
    Just thought I'd drop in with an article about entry requirements that you many find useful. I think volunteering is one of the most common entry routes as it's a way to find out if you really want to do it before investing lots more time, and potentially money, into it. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks! I'm thinking of volunteering for the Samaritans

Do you know who I could talk to about potential jobs and careers after I train? I'm wary of training for something and not being able to find a job afterwards
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    a degree in psychology is not a pre requisite to a counselling career unless you take the route of a MSc in counselling psychology and then take the professional exams under the BPS for accredation as a counselling psychologist, training will take a further 3 years.

as for a counsellor rather than a counselling psychologist - you'll need to get a diploma in counselling accredited by the BACP and get roughly 450 hours worth of experience, training takes 3-4 years.