Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I hate the Harvard Referencing system....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
It's so unsightly and I always remember things and write them down but can never remember the page. It's such a pain in the arse.

Can you tell I'm procrastinating. I have my first draft dissertation hand in on Monday and I've got 4,000 out of 10,000 words. My dissertation isn't even in till May but it feels like it's actually due on Monday. Blah.

I bet you I'll finally get the referencing system by the end of the dissertation and it will all be useless as I will graduate and then won't have to worry about it anymore. Alas.

How's everybody else's dissertations going?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Well if you are using the finished piece for doing more research or as a source it is kind of useful to have the page numbers of the references made so you can look them up a lot more easily :chin:

I finished my dissertation two years ago :hyper:
  • Options
    I know it's there for a reason but I really do hate it haha. It's really frustrating when you've got facts and figures from Wikipedia as well and go to the website to check it because no matter whether or not you put the official one down they just KNOW you got it from Wikipedia and it's not an academic source which sucks.

In a few weeks I will have finished my dissertation too. SOOO looking forward to it haha.
  • Options
    avoid wiki where possible

in my entire chemistry one, i had one wiki referenced, and that was for something that isn't that referencible, as in i spent 3months trying to find a reference
  • Options
    It's so unsightly and I always remember things and write them down but can never remember the page. It's such a pain in the arse.

Can you tell I'm procrastinating. I have my first draft dissertation hand in on Monday and I've got 4,000 out of 10,000 words. My dissertation isn't even in till May but it feels like it's actually due on Monday. Blah.

I bet you I'll finally get the referencing system by the end of the dissertation and it will all be useless as I will graduate and then won't have to worry about it anymore. Alas.

How's everybody else's dissertations going?
    That's why when you write down the quotes you write down the year and page number of the quote. Saves *so* much hassle in the long run. But you only learn to do this after you've not written the pages numbers down the first time you do it....

Incidentally, I love the HRS. It's so integrated into the test (unlike footnotes or endnotes) so that you can find the references very quickly and without going to the end of the page or the end of the chapter, then to the reference section....

My thesis is coming along.... slowly. Got about six chapters of ten done, but got a whole bunch of transcription and analysis left to do. Aiming for a December submission date (because I got a three month paid extension! :yippe: )
  • Options
    ooh i know what you mean, i could never be arsed with referencing when i was writing so i always put brackets with vague notes in througout assuming id remember properly when i came to sort the referencing out. it never worked, i was always left spending HOURS doing it.
    so do it as you go along! especially as harvards quite simple really.