Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I hate my job......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really hate it.Im so bored and depressed there its slowly sapping my will to live totally.
Its not a bad place to work as in horrible or anything its just so mind destroyingly dull,boring,fiddly and I just hate it.
Theres so much double standards and fucking shit I cant stand and then Ive got all these people who dont know how depressed and shit it makes me feel saying "its just a job,you got to put up with it,its not that bad" and all this other rubbish in a happy voice.
Even the evening on my day off before I go back is horrible,nearly as bad as going back to school after the summer holidays...
Anyway,rant over.

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey,
    It sounds like you're going through a particularly rough patch and although for a time it's advisable to put with a job you're not enjoying if you need the money - that's not to say there aren't better options out there - or more practical ways to get more out of it.

You wanna tell us more about it? What do you do, for how long etc? :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would agree that if your not happy then its worth looking around for somethign else - but its probably not worth quitting out right for

xx
    I totally understand how you feel. About a year ago, one of my colleagues was promoted and took on the role of my boss and my work life has been shite ever since then. I ended up getting myself in such a state that my doctor signed me off work for a week with stress a few weeks ago.

Anyway.. because the sicknote said stress it set off all kinds of alarm bells with them and as they have to do something about it (duty of care, etc), my colleagues made me sit down and tell them what the problem was - "you!", in one word! They also asked me to write everything down, specific instances of things that were getting me down.. It was so uncomfortable doing it (much worse than an interview!) but now that I've done that, things are a hundred times better!

Ironically, said nightmare colleague/boss is currently promoting the company's stress policy and I went to a briefing about it yesterday. The main message was that you've got to speak up and communicate that there's a problem - if they don't know, they can't do anything about it!

If you're bored and there are other more interesting things going on that you know you can do - ask for some part of it! You need to get yourself out there and promote yourself and what you can do to be able to move up in the company/industry to get out of the dull/boring/uninterested trap. Even if it's not what you want to do long-term, you will still get yourself noticed and get a better reference at the end of your time there when you find something better.

If it's not the right job for you, and you could find yourself a better one, go for it! My job is stupidly wellpaid for the little effort I have to put in and I'd be an idiot to walk away from it without a fight but three weeks ago, that's what I was going to do.. leave one Friday and just not go back in on the Monday!

I can't tell you how happy I am that I finally spoke up and admitted there was a problem - yes, I had said it several times before, but they finally got the message and now they're doing something about it.

Good luck :)
    what's your job?
    I feel the same way too. I feel I'm being ungrateful because my job is very well paid for what we do, I was quite privileged to get it seeing as I came from an admin background and it could be loads worse, but it's just not what I want to do and I resent coming in every day to do stuff I don't care about. A lot of the time I'm bored stupid, and even when I'm given things to do they're either incredibly dull or involve doing things I really don't like doing. I thought it would be a lot better than it is but in reality the only things I like about it are the money and the people (well most of them). It's been stressing me out and making me miserable and it's even worse feeling like I don't have a right to feel like that, I should be grateful to have a decent job with good pay that's relatively flexible. I just feel I'm wasting my life by not doing what I really want to do (which would be something to do with the arts, ideally writing for a magazine, or if not at least working for an arts organisation). It's just so hard to get into that side of things - I'm honestly trying as hard as I can, but getting nowhere.

Meh, sorry for the thread hijack, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one feeling like this :(
    If your not totally happy in your job look into somewhere else for a job before you make any harsh decisions.

Good luck :)
    Yeah,cheers for the replies.
    Im not gonna do anything drastic at the moment like quit but at the same time theres no where else to go in the company,all the jobs have been taken that were open (including the one I really wanted:banghead: ).
    And its really hard getting a new job at the moment too,everything needs experience!!
    Im just gonna have to put up with it for the moment.