Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Crystal Meth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't actually do drugs anymore but I remember the hype about this being the big thing in America and "OH MY GOD ITS COMING TO BRITAIN", still doesn't seem like anyone around here in wales has tried it....so anyone got any experiences or know if its on the increase?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can't get it.
    Ihad it lots many years ago ...lovely stuff ...very moorish.
    Very damaging as well ...i seem to have got away with little or no damage ...pure luck i pressume.
    I don't think it has taken the predicted hold in the UK that was predicted. As far as i am aware it is still a rarity which is good news.
    Once people cotton on to how cheap and easy it is to make, I'm sure it will become more commonplace.
    Once people cotton on to how cheap and easy it is to make, I'm sure it will become more commonplace.

I'm not so sure, it has a fearsome reputation, and speed has never been that popular here.

As to the drug itself, it comes with many of the same risks as amphetamine but because it can be smoked its delivery is faster which does seem to make it more addictive and destructive.
    budda wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, it has a fearsome reputation, and speed has never been that popular here.

As to the drug itself, it comes with many of the same risks as amphetamine but because it can be smoked its delivery is faster which does seem to make it more addictive and destructive.

Speed used to be popular here, it just went out of fashion.
    , and speed has never been that popular here.

and speed has never been that popular here.

Speed was massively popular here through the 1950's ...then it grew in the 60's. Late 70's early eighties there was an epidemic use of the stuff.
    The ammount of people injecting amphetamines was absolutely huge ...far more so than heroin.
    Not sure where you get your information from but believe me ...if you think heroin was big ...it was dwarfed by amphetamine use. Partly this was cos heroin ...the very word heroin was enough to put many off. The severe addiction associated with heroin was another. A main lining amphetamine junky felt a little higher up the food chain than a smack head so its apeal was much broader.
    I meant that it hasnt had broad appeal for the last 15 years or more.
    I meant that it hasnt had broad appeal for the last 15 years or more.

Probably because ectasy came in and people originally thought that the comedowns weren't as bad.
    Speed was more socialy acceptable than smack ...speed was easily manufactured both here and Holland.
    Painters decorators shift workers coppers nurses doctors ...all known to use speed.
    It's drop in poularity has not been huge.
    Used to be able to get it here but only 'cause someone I knew from Dundee used to bring it through when he was here for certain club nights. Not really that big a demand for it in Glasgow, but apparently it's decently popular and more widely available in smaller places like Dundee, Inverness etc.

Tried it a couple of times, pretty damn good. Doubt I'll be touching it again, though.
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Probably because ectasy came in and people originally thought that the comedowns weren't as bad.
    xtc actualy arrived in powder form (mdma) around 1980 thats over 25years ago and then started becoming realy popular as pills through the eighties. The sexual buzz of stimulants is a big draw but xtc has to be the best. Theres a big diffence between amphetamine and xtc ...mainly that you cant do xtc day after day after day ...but you can with amphet.
    I've seen studies/effects on Crystal meth, it's nasty stuff, turns people into aggresive shells of their former selves, steer clear.
    Not around here at all, speed isn't overly popular around here as it is so i couldn't see meth kicking off.

People just like xtc too much i think.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I've seen studies/effects on Crystal meth, it's nasty stuff, turns people into aggresive shells of their former selves, steer clear.

:yes: This is unfortunately quite often the case. I know someone who is now in prison for stabbing someone whilst under the influence of Cystal Meth... he wouldn't have been capable of doing that normally. He was only 18 aswell.

I've smoked it once, very nice buzz but also one that I can imagine becoming very addictive very quickly so I wouldn't touch it again. I don't think I'd be able to get hold of it again anyway, there was a batch of the stuff going around Brighton a while ago, that's when I got hold of it, but I haven't seen it around here since. I think there are places in the UK where meth use is on the increase, but it'll never be as popular as it is in Australia, the USA, New Zealand e.t.c. This is is mainly because we can get hold of Ectsasy, MDMA and Cocaine for alot cheaper than they can, so something that is easy to make like Meth has become a source of money for dealers and a cheaper high for a drug users.

There's a massive Meth problem in South East Asia, but it's usually sold in the form of Yaba pills. The reason it has become such a problem there is because the ex Thai Prime Minister Thaskin had a massive crack down on drugs and basically wiped out most of the Opium growing in the Golden Triangle....Opium poppies are easy to spot on mountain sides for Police helicopters, whilst Meth can be made in labs and houses, so Meth has become the new Opium for alot of Asian drug producers.
    Its a little bit more nasty than that unfortunately, the Thai PM basically allowed the police to kill dealers (or suspected dealers) so they did, thousands were killed some almost randomly - he's scum of the highest order.

As for the change in that area from heroin to meth, that was largely led by Myanmar, who in exchange for UN funding got rid of the opium growing. What they didnt tell the UN was that they had just moved from opium to meth which is easier to make. They have huge factories churning out billions of those yabba pills, flooding the market across the far east.
    Yup, he is. Which is why he was thrown out of Thailand during that military coup and he now lives in the UK, in fact he's even the owner (or something?) of Manchester City football club.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Yup, he is. Which is why he was thrown out of Thailand during that military coup and he now lives in the UK, in fact he's even the owner (or something?) of Manchester City football club.

He should be rotting in jail not here presumably spending all the money he made while being PM.
    I'm not so sure, it has a fearsome reputation

I would never go near the fucking thing. Heard too much shit about it. My ex tried it once, he said he loved it and would do it again. I say I'll never touch it, even if it's offered to me for free. I have too much of an addictive personality and heard too much stuff about it ruining people's lives.