Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Religious experiences on lsd :S

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I read an article somhow implying that LSD and similar drugs cause what are religious experiences, and thus the whole of religion was jsut a series of trips :S.

Has anybody here whos taken LSD or similar had any "Religious" experiences?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    puremadeup wrote: »
    I read an article somhow implying that LSD and similar drugs cause what are religious experiences, and thus the whole of religion was jsut a series of trips :S.

Has anybody here whos taken LSD or similar had any "Religious" experiences?

Thanks

Spiritual mystical experience yes ...have a look at the LSD docus i posted in the films lyrics thread. heres a starter ...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzq_sBsjbAU
  • Options
    People have such experiences on a variety of drugs. I think there are some references from pretty early in time of people taking mushrooms for religious ceremonies.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    People have such experiences on a variety of drugs. I think there are some references from pretty early in time of people taking mushrooms for religious ceremonies.
    Yes and cactus and here in europe ...ergot ...a mould which groes on rye. Ergot has tripped out entire towns across Europe when harvests were bad and people ate rye which should have been binned as unfit. Ergot was the original source from which LSD was first synthesized.
  • Options
    Nope, I've taken a host of hallucinagenic drugs and never had a spiritual or religious epiphany, it was all about tripping balls and having a laugh, either that or trying to get out or the worst 'buzz' imaginable.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Yes and cactus and here in europe ...ergot ...a mould which groes on rye. Ergot has tripped out entire towns across Europe when harvests were bad and people ate rye which should have been binned as unfit. Ergot was the original source from which LSD was first synthesized.

It should be noted that unlike LSD, Ergot will have some seriously nasty effects and is very dangerous. Fucks up your blood circulation and causes gangrene.

Fly Agarics have been used recreationally for thousands of years.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've never seen anything religious just stuff like bin bags looking like big oriental vases and bushes looking like donkeys .. That sort of thing
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Fly Agarics have been used recreationally for thousands of years.

I read somewhere that they were used by Viking Beserkers to send them into a battle frenzy?

I've never really had a religious trip, but I have had trips that have taken me to a higher level of existance...
  • Options
    Only proper religious experience ive ever had was when butterfly vip was dropped at htid way back in 2004.

never felt so warm and comforted, like being at home wrapped in a big, god like duvet. :D

shame it was only trippy pills that caused it, no ergot im afraid!
  • Options
    Yea, I've had a religious experience on LSD. Unfortunately it was because I thought I was going to die (or was already dead), and I was weighing up the rights and wrongs of my life, convincing myself I was heaven bound. I think seeing a church through the window of the ambulance is what triggered it. I'm not even remotely religious. The less said the better really. :/
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Yea, I've had a religious experience on LSD. Unfortunately it was because I thought I was going to die (or was already dead), and I was weighing up the rights and wrongs of my life, convincing myself I was heaven bound. I think seeing a church through the window of the ambulance is what triggered it. I'm not even remotely religious. The less said the better really. :/

Sounds like a pretty bad trip mate! Had a couple of them, one was on stupid amounts of mushrooms on bonfire night, I didn't think I was gonna die as such, I just wanted to because I thought the hellish nightmare I was trapped in, would never end.

A more recent one was in Laos. I had been smoking Opium all day and drinking Lemon Ice Tea. I then got back and heard that if you drank pure lemon or lime juice whilst smoking Opium, it can kill you.... so I started to think, what about Lemon Ice Tea??
    I then took a load of mushrooms and they obviously started playing on my fears, everytime I shut my eyes I felt myself drifting away, like sinking into the bed, losing control of my limbs and floating out of my body. It was fucked up, I thought that if I fell asleep, I was going to die. So I bit my lip and stayed awake until the Opium and Mushrooms had worn off.
  • Options
    Religion pre-dates LSD by a few thousand years, so acid certainly isn't to blame. I think with trips, alot of what you experience is subconscious. Indians for instance, doing their vision quests while on mescalin. If they truly believe they're going to see their spirit guide and go out looking for one for days on end without food etc, chances are they're going to find what they're looking for.

But yeah, I think a religious experience would be enough to put me off drugs :v

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't take much of what you read about Vikings at face value. Their barbarity and practices were greatly exaggerated.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Religion pre-dates LSD by a few thousand years, so acid certainly isn't to blame.

Well LSD may not pre date it but other very similar drugs of the ergoline family certainly do.

Some people beleive that Fly Agaric has strong ties with Christianity too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    I think seeing a church through the window of the ambulance is what triggered it. y. :/
    :D
  • Options
    Well LSD may not pre date it but other very similar drugs of the ergoline family certainly do.

Some people beleive that Fly Agaric has strong ties with Christianity too.
    Good book ...The sacred mushroom and the cross.
    Based on The book of revelation. Every time John has his incredble visions ...he has to eat a small scroll first...that tastes bitter.
    And yes Skive ...i forgot to mention Ergotism ...which caninclude fits spasms and bits of your body falling off! Minor detail.
  • Options
    Good book ...The sacred mushroom and the cross.

Have you read it then?
    This hippie bloke I used to know always used to go on about it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Have you read it then?
    This hippie bloke I used to know always used to go on about it.

I read a lot of it about thirty five years ago ...it's a bit heavy going so most people read the bits they're interested in ...it's a big book!
  • Options
    Magic mushrooms, LSD, cannabis...I've had mystical experiences with all of them.