Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Virus Scanner

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering if any of you had a reccommendation for a good virus scanner/firewall. At the moment im using Mcafee, just wondering if there were any better ones on the market with a sensible price range :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cuppatboys wrote: »
    I was just wondering if any of you had a reccommendation for a good virus scanner/firewall. At the moment im using Mcafee, just wondering if there were any better ones on the market with a sensible price range :)

Esset NOD32 for anti V. See if you can get a demo ....:yes:
    AVG - www.grisoft.com - free
    Zonealarm firewll - free, just zonealarm.com i think
    Avira antivirus - free, google it
    A squared - anti spyware - free
    Spybot Search and Destroy - free
    Sygate personal firewall - free

You have to buy the following antivirus progs though
    Panda
    Kaspersky

To be honest, i did away with paying for them years ago and just use free ones now. Touch wood, running ok!
    I've found Microsoft's Defender pretty good as well, both for virus issues and general spy and malware, constantly updated
    Sorry - that should be Windows Defender, it's the former Giant Anti-spyware that Microsoft bought out.
    whatever you do, dont get norton 360, i have it and its annoying as hell. i will definitely stop using it when my subscription runs .
    by the way i'd recommend AVG i've heard its really good for viruses and firewall :banghead: .

Cya around:yippe:
    Flirt wrote: »
    whatever you do, dont get norton 360, i have it and its annoying as hell. i will definitely stop using it when my subscription runs .
    by the way i'd recommend AVG i've heard its really good for viruses and firewall :banghead: .

Cya around:yippe:

yeah im using free AVG and its awesome. doesnt mess up your computer like mcafee.
    How does mcafee 'mess up' your computer.
    i'm currently using the one that came with my broadband, lol
    CoolMe wrote: »
    How does mcafee 'mess up' your computer.

If you have a paticularly mid-range PC it can slow it down to an absoloute crawl. same as norton.

Plus it's pop-ups are flipping annoying. same as norton.
    AVG
    Windows firewall
    Windows defender

All free, never had a virus
    I use Avira, prefer it to AVG, seems a lot more stable. When I had MCafee, Kaspersky and AVG the computer was forever crashing.
    thanks for all the replies everyone, mcafees running perfect on this computer but it is brand new with a 500 hardrive, whats this AVG then, most people seem to think its good?
    But you a program that is all in one :)
    I use AVG and have never had any problems with it. Have never used Norton, but have been advised against using it. I've been told that Panda is good, but have never used it.
    Trust me, i'm a doctor. Lol...not quite anyway.

I used to work on an e-banking team and i maintain and run a lot of computers for different people, ranging from your very beginners to people who are quite mastering stuff on computers now and i install the same programmes for them all...the reason for this is a) price (zero) and b) ease of use.

AVG is covered by both bases. Quality.

Windows defender isn't bad as mentioned. Did my head in though, so i removed it.

I equally agree that Norton is head doing - it can be quite frustrating actually. Not worth paying for - if it comes free with broadband / pc etc, then maybe use it until subscription expires, other than that - it's not worth your hard earned cash!

AVG all the way!
    I've tried the followin pieces of software:

Various editions of Norton - Relatively good virus defence and firewall, but a couple of viruses got through sometimes. But hogs a lot of resources from your computer, it's generally extremely slow. I wouldn't pick it again.
    Has a pretty good firewall tho.

Norman antivirus - Not as slow as Norton, but too many threats got through. Didn't like the firewall

F-Secure: Used to be good, but virus defence not so good anymore. Used to be very lightweigh, but the newest version does unfortunately hog more resources, although not as bad as Norton did. The version I tried didn't come with a firewall

Avast free edition: Doesn't hog too much, haven't gotten any viruses when using it.

Eses nod32
    This is the best commercial product by my opinion, and the one I'm using now. Very good virus defence. The smart security package also has a firewall. Not sure if it's the most secure, but it has an "automatic" mode that seems to be working quite well. Most apps that needs to get online does so without any trouble, and also without nagging you for acception all the time.

About dedicated firewalls, I've tried zonealarm, found that ok. The windows firewall is usually ok for most people though.
    Comodo FireWall gets good reviews and is free

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/overview.html
    anybody tried the Windows Live OneCare?

I've got the public beta 2.5 running on a laptop and its alot faster than McaFee :) (but you can get McaFee for freee :) )
    liveone
    CoolMe wrote: »
    anybody tried the Windows Live OneCare?

I've got the public beta 2.5 running on a laptop and its alot faster than McaFee :) (but you can get McaFee for freee :) )

Yeah, tried the online version of it. Many say it's sheit, but it was able to remove my spyware when everything else failed.
    I've noticed that loading up time is faster with out McaFee and with Onecare too. :)