Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Terminal 5

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Will someone be blamed ...and then get a million quid with their P45?

Comments

• Options
    Probably, just like Adam Applegarth the ex big cheese of Northern Rock.

£4.6 billion, about 6 years for Terminal 5, you've gotta laugh haven't you. BAA and BA couldn't orgainsie a piss-up in a brewery. :thumb:
  • Options
    Why can't this country do big projects? Roll on the Olympics... LOL!
  • Options
    To be fair, there isn't a single case worldwide when a change like this has gone smoothly...
  • Options
    Exactly - give it time. They'll get it sorted out.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Roll In the Olympics... LOL!
    Not this time mate ...failed a drug test.
  • Options
    ha i had to book a flight up to newcastle for friday and the amex lady gave me all the details, right at the end she goes oh and it's departing from terminal 5, i said pull the other one love, no chance. BA are a joke everytime i fly with them the pilot goes missing or some shit, honestly. still had to get a return flight back with them as the flybe one was booked out, £203 vs £90 with flybe how do they get away with that?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Probably, just like Adam Applegarth the ex big cheese of Northern Rock.

£4.6 billion, about 6 years for Terminal 5, you've gotta laugh haven't you. BAA and BA couldn't orgainsie a piss-up in a brewery. :thumb:

likewise after living in Italy for 14 years and seeing the news use anything to criticise britain I can quite imagine the feild day they are having

but then they have one team that checks runway lights and another team to fix them, guess what happens when they forget to fix a STOP light ?.....
  • Options
    Why can't this country do big projects? Roll on the Olympics... LOL!

oh no we can't do the olympics anymore all the polls have gone home and we aren't capable of doing things on our own or so the BBC implys
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Rumour has it BAA have changed their mind and want the railway and underground stations at T5 moved somewhere else - only 12 months after they were finished. Still BAA designed and built it so there is no surprise.
  • Options
    Apparently a fair amount of the flights that go through T5 go to such faraway and exotic places as Manchester, Liverpool, Paris or Glasgow.

The aim should be to reduce the demand for these flights to zero. Had that been the case, we might have got away with not building T5, and certainly would do away with the "need" (even if there was any, which there isn't) of building a third runway and sixth terminal.
  • Options
    The aim should be to reduce the demand for these flights to zero. Had that been the case, we might have got away with not building T5, and certainly would do away with the "need" (even if there was any, which there isn't) of building a third runway and sixth terminal.

You would never get zero demand for these routes. Regardless of demand on these route capacity at Heathrow is full. Heathrow badly needs a new runway, at the moment its causing costly delays and forcing business to use Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt instead of the UK.
  • Options
    To be fair, there isn't a single case worldwide when a change like this has gone smoothly...

They didn't have this fiasco when the opened Hong Kong's new international airport.

If they can manage to build a whole airport out of reclaimed land at Chek Lap Kok why can't BAA manage to open a piddly new terminal properly?
  • Options
    Regardless of demand on these route capacity at Heathrow is full. Heathrow badly needs a new runway, at the moment its causing costly delays and forcing business to use Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt instead of the UK.

Like balls it is.

Although BAA would like you to believe that bullshit to allow them to ruin more Londoners' lives with 24-hour flying.
  • Options
    I think people have start judging it very initially, someone can exactly say weather T5 is success or not in atleast 5 years.
  • Options
    You would never get zero demand for these routes. Regardless of demand on these route capacity at Heathrow is full. Heathrow badly needs a new runway, at the moment its causing costly delays and forcing business to use Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt instead of the UK.
    That's just scaremongering from BAA. The same company that only 3 years ago was categorically stating that there was absolutely no need for a third runway or sixth terminal.

It is true that Heathrow airport loses some business to Frankfurt, Paris and others. But it is not to do with the lack of a third runway. It is to do with the fact that Heathrow is nothing more than a godawful shopping mall with runways attached, as all BAA airports tend to be. Passengers genuinely vote Heathrow as the world's worst major airport, and many of those who can avoid travel through it, do.

Incidentallly, if the London-Paris air route has decreased by by 60-70%, we could certainly aim to achieve that for our domestic routes. There are actually a lot of domestic flights from Heathrow. Cut them by two thirds and presto! Plenty of more slots available.
  • Options
    muh.adil wrote: »
    I think people have start judging it very initially, someone can exactly say weather T5 is success or not in atleast 5 years.
    Oh I'm sure the problems will be solved very soon and it will run smoothly from then on. It doesn't negate the fact that the management of the opening was piss-poor, shambolic and a disgrace.
  • Options
    lol the funniest thing was the inflight reading on the BA flight yesterday with a big feature on the amazing new T5, that willie walsh with a big smug grin saying how the smooth running is going to make everyone's lives easier etc etc now they just look stupid.

i only flew with them because all the other flights were booked out, big mistake the plane was 90 mins delayed on take off (surprise surprise they blamed delays at T5), and when we got to heathrow we were stuck on the plane for another 30 mins waiting for them to pull their thumb out and get the stairs, complete shambles. thank god i only had hand luggage.
  • Options
    I know they wouldnt allow it, but i would quite happily settle with some ladders, never mind steps!
  • Options
    Isn't the case that in up to 40% of flights passengers will have to be bussed to the plane, due to the lack of sufficient jet bridges?

If so pretty piss poor planning.

Passengers were also complaining of the remarkable lack of seating in some areas. In certain places, such as the luggage collection area I think, there were none at all.
  • Options
    The baggage handling has just crashed ...come to a halt about three hours ago!