Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weight Training + Powerballs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have some weights and I want to start building my arm muscle as currently I have very little. What sort of exercises should I do, with what weight and how often.

Also does anyone here use a powerball and do they find it useful for building muscle?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dont bother its not going to build muscle. You need to stress the muscle past a point its not used to in order for it to grow in size and strength. 8-12 reps as a basline. Preacher curls, concentration curls, hammer curls... tricep extension. Although you dont want to just train your arms, all body is the way to go....time for the gym!
    Yeah I have got a powerball and I think I has engorged My biceps somewhat :cool:
    puremadeup wrote: »
    I have some weights and I want to start building my arm muscle as currently I have very little. What sort of exercises should I do, with what weight and how often.

Also does anyone here use a powerball and do they find it useful for building muscle?

I had a go on a powerball over Christmas, it was fun. I wasn't trying to build muscles with it, it was a present that my mum bought for my brother-in-law and all the family were trying it out. I could do it straight away but it took some members of my family a while to master it but it was good once you get going. Also it comes with a DVD, it's really funny to watch the demos of how to do it especially the one of the world record holder for powerball.

Apparently it's good for all kind of things, it improves your hand muscles (which is why my brother-in-law wanted it as he does a lot of sailing and wanted to be able to pull the ropes faster/ harder /better). It also claims to be useful for avoiding RSS.
    powerballs are really good for increasing strength, and toning up, you can pretty much work all muscle groups in your arms with one too.
    I have a powerball, but am having difficulty using it... Maybe it's broken?

Is there a special technique?
    Namaste wrote: »
    I have a powerball, but am having difficulty using it... Maybe it's broken?

Is there a special technique?

They are hard to use, especially if you've never done it before it can take a while to get it to work. Not sure about technique advice, the one I used came with a DVD that explained it, maybe there is something similar online?