Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Contact lenses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I rubbed my eye today and my contact lenses squidged up into the corner, when I stretched it back into place it was inside out so everytime I blinked it moved. So, I had to go wash my hands, take it out and put it back in again. Contact lenses are so annoying.

Comments

• Options
    Agreed, I got dust in my right eye today, irritated my contact lens and it looked like I was crying out of one eye :thumb:

I've got hard lenses too, so anytime it moves anywhere in my eye I shit myself because it costs a bomb if I lose one :no:
  • Options
    Yeah i agree contacts are annoying at times. Better than glasses but annoying in their own way.

Thats why I'm going to get another loan and get them lasered. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah I get that sometimes. I wear glasses most days as I'm too lazy for lenses although I do have both.

Bri - do you have insurance? My mum had non-disposable ones ages ago and she had some type of insurance policy incase she lost or broke one.
  • Options
    I will probably get soft disposable month-lenses (the ones you can use for about 30 days, or longer if you don't use them daily), seeing that my insurance pays for it. When i used hard lenses first time it felt like someone is poking my eye with dirty fingers.

/e: since my eyes are actually rather bad (4 diopters on right eye), it might pay off to inform me about the actual state of affairs in terms of surgery, costs, etc.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Get laser eye surgery :thumb:
  • Options
    yeah, I will do. I'm just paying off the last of my debts, then I'll save up for things like that. Thing is, I like wearing glasses, but mini-me broke my latest pair at only a few months old- yup, I go through a lot of pairs. I am tight so I wear my dialy disposables for a few days at a time, sleeping in them twice, is that really bad?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I got to get my eyes checked again. Laser is an option, but not before my sight stabilises. Then I'll order lenses again.
  • Options
    In one of my more stupid moments I bought some cosmetic contacts from Argos a few years back, they were this ice-blue colour. One day I rubbed my eye, forgetting it was there.

It was lost behind my eye for several hours.

So my eye were stinging and bloodshot but hey, the ladies loved the blue.
  • Options
    BEHIND your eye????? :shocking:
    Please please please tell me you mean your eyelid.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I am tight so I wear my dialy disposables for a few days at a time, sleeping in them twice, is that really bad?

Sleeping in them isn't meant to be good for you, especially if they are daily ones.
  • Options
    Must have been. Was lifting and lowering my eyelids all afternoon and couldn't find the bugger.
  • Options
    yeah, I will do. I'm just paying off the last of my debts, then I'll save up for things like that. Thing is, I like wearing glasses, but mini-me broke my latest pair at only a few months old- yup, I go through a lot of pairs. I am tight so I wear my dialy disposables for a few days at a time, sleeping in them twice, is that really bad?

Sleeping in contact lenses is bad (unless they are the special overnight type). I've fallen asleep in mine, it just made my eyes sore and dry. But I know of someone who spent a week on a hospital ward with IV Anti-biotics after doing this :nervous:

I think it is okay if you take them out at night to re-wear them once or twice, as long as you clean them really well.
  • Options
    I've heard that even with soft lenses, if you sleep with them they might cut those "wires" that go to your eyes during REM.
  • Options
    oh dear. There's a guy at work who went and get a free pair of daily disposables in a trial and has had them in for two years!!!!
  • Options
    I got to get my eyes checked again. Laser is an option, but not before my sight stabilises. Then I'll order lenses again.

oh, didn't know that was an requirement. Excellent, because my eyes didn't get worse in the last 4 years or something. What is the price on that? I know it will probably vary wildly from country to country, but do I have to calculate with more than 1500euro? (rough guessing here) ?
  • Options
    In the UK at least the eye sight has to be stable for about 2 years. Prices can vary from like £400 to £1700 per eye dependant on company and how bad your eyes are and many other things.
  • Options
    I hate putting lenses in then taking them out again. I have the daily disposable lenses but I lose a load when I put them in because it takes a few attempts and I don't want to risk putting one in that's dirty or inside out. So I tend to only wear them when I'm going somewhere nice of an evening.
  • Options
    sleeping in contact lenses is a REALLY bad idea. Thats how I got my first eye ulcer, and the pain of that is like nothing on earth, seriously, and thats coming from someone whos had two natural drug free childbirths!!
    Its not just the pain though, i was lucky enough to only have an ulcer off-centre of the cornea, because if it had been central, youre talking at almost instant blindness unless you can get a corneal transplant, so yeah, dont sleep in them.
  • Options
    urglhhh, oh fucking gross. i do not want that.
  • Options
    oh dear. There's a guy at work who went and get a free pair of daily disposables in a trial and has had them in for two years!!!!

Thats surely not true? Unless he's taking them out and rinsing them in saline every night... but even then?

Also i've been wearing contact lenses for years and never have i managed to turn one inside out after they've been put in :s

I have however been taking them out and tore them, so half the lense comes out and half stays on and is really difficult to take out!
  • Options
    I think it's true. He says it's true and I have no reason to not believe him.
  • Options
    I think it's true. He says it's true and I have no reason to not believe him.

I dont know, if i accidentally fall asleep with my dailies in then my eyes absoloutely cain in the morning and it almost hurts to wear a fresh set the following day, i doubt anyone could have a set of dailies in their eyes for 2 years and not have gone blind or have serious eye problems as a result of it
  • Options
    They dry your eyes and eventually start to 'stick' to the eye if left in some keeping them in for two years is just stupid.
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    I dont know, if i accidentally fall asleep with my dailies in then my eyes absoloutely cain in the morning and it almost hurts to wear a fresh set the following day, i doubt anyone could have a set of dailies in their eyes for 2 years and not have gone blind or have serious eye problems as a result of it

Then again you have people like me whose eyes hurt more when they wear glasses than when I wear my contact lenses. I've done stupid things before like left in daily disposables for over 2 weeks cos i've been lazy/forget/too trashed on holiday.

Eyes were still perfectly comfortable after that.
  • Options
    I wear contacts, I have the 30 day ones that you can keep taking out and re-using and just change once a month. I've had the ones you sleep in too and they were great but a little bit more expensive :crying: . I've only ever fell asleep for about an hour in mine I would never actually go to sleep in them for the night I'd be scared of messing up my eyes :nervous:
    I already get scared I wear them too much as it is, I hate wearing my glasses and only wear them in the house even though they cost like £200 :rolleyes: