Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Organ Donation

In a Christian religion is it etchically ok to donate your organs after death and any other religions opinions please
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most Christian denominations support it; i'm not sure about other religions though.
  • Options
    Some Christian sects are dead against it, Jehovah's Witnesses are, possibly mormons. Catholics are dubious from what I gather but allow it. C of E e.t.c. are ok with it.
  • Options
    While we're on the subject, most regulars here will know my profound disregard for the Sun, so let me be the first to congratulate the paper for their campaign today to get everyone signed up to the organ donation scheme.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Some Christian sects are dead against it, Jehovah's Witnesses are, possibly mormons. Catholics are dubious from what I gather but allow it. C of E e.t.c. are ok with it.
    I think you'll find that all these religions leave it up to personal consience.
  • Options
    as far as i know thank god its the one thing they have never meddled in.....
  • Options
    one of the few good things the sun has done i think
  • Options

I think you'll find that if you mention organ transplants or blood donation or even extensive surgery to a jehovah's witness they'll run a mile.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I think you'll find that if you mention organ transplants or blood donation or even extensive surgery to a jehovah's witness they'll run a mile.

Yep.

Logically, if the god is as the bible says he is, you're doing good by donating your organs. As with everything though, you get people twisting a bunch of superstitions in an attempt to make out it's against their particular religion.

EDIT: Also, Catholics have no problem with it at all.
  • Options
    well they will delve into their little bible specially written for them so that they don't get led astray and they will come up with the phrase stating that you should not spill your brothers blood. As most of us know to spill ones blood was the way of saying injure or kill and was written in the times when blood transfusions never existed but of course they say the bible is as useful as ever. well it may be in teaching most morals but there are some things that surpass it.
  • Options
    diff religions views here http://www.transplantforlife.org/miracles/religion.html I don't know how accurate that list is though.
  • Options

Jehovah's witnesses believe that the body and blood is a sacred gift from god and can't give or accept blood / organs. My mate was one, it was quite scary to think if he was in an accident his parents would have let him die rather than have blood.
  • Options
    Jehovah's Witnesses have the lowest retention rate of any religion in the world. Presumably, the second anyone needs an operation, they suddenly lose their faith?
  • Options
    i didnt realise gypsys were a religion
  • Options
    Jehovah's Witnesses have the lowest retention rate of any religion in the world. Presumably, the second anyone needs an operation, they suddenly lose their faith?

Thoughts of a dying... Jehovah's Witness?
  • Options
    Most Christians consider organ donation as a genuine act of love and a way of following Jesus' example. This act of love then becomes part of a faith journey that is motivated by compassion to help someone else and demonstrates a sense of social responsibility.