Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to Become an Electrician

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to do an apprenticeship to become a electrician and would really appreciate it if anyone had any info as to where i could find out how as i am 24... A lot of website i see was for younger people?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is mainly for younger people but you are in the target range AFAIK ;)

I'd start by contacting Electrician companies in your area, whether small or large. Also worth talking to local college to see if they have any relevant courses.

Try Adult Careers office too - it's usually part of local County Council I think.
    My friend was 19 when she started hers, and a fair few of the people she goes to college with are younger than her, but there are also a couple (much) older.

Find out where locally teaches the taught bit of it, generally the colleges that do are ones that take all ages rather than just 16-19 yr olds. They'll be a good starting point.
    Norfolk Apprenticeships
    If you are aged 16 - 24, or in some cases older, a Modern Apprenticeship provides you with real skills that employers want.

Semms like a pretty helpful website. Tey giving your local Nextstep adviser a call. :thumb:
    it can be a bit harder to get into a trade when you're a bit older but its still possible

generally you'd get a placement with a company and do a few days a week out working and a few days a week in college studying

the main issue (i dont know if its still the same) with being older is something to do with the way the pay works .. when you're 16/17 the government pays your wage, so the employer basically gets a free worker, but after that the employer as to start paying you .. so as you could imagine an employer having the option of a younger person who they can have working for free or an older person who they have to pay .. so you're at a disadvantage to younger people!

i dont even know if this is the case anymore, and it might only have been specific to where i live too (n. ireland)
    It is easy to find a place to have your apprenticeship training. There are many places you can look for. The Internet has listings of companies or organizations that are looking for apprentices for training. You can also try looking in newspapers for advertisements. The good thing with this is that it prepares you for your future job. In some cases, if the company you are having training with likes your performance, they can even hire you as their employee.