Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tax!

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Hi :wave:

We've been working closely with the folks at the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) who have been helping us improve money articles and services on TheSite.org.

As part of this they've shown an interest in hearing your views on issues related to Pay As You Earn. It would be great if you could let us know your thoughts on the questions posted below and then Cliff from the HMRC will come back to this thread with information to help. If you have questions yourselves then feel free to ask them here, although bear in mind that these should be general as it's not possible for the HMRC to answer questions related to your personal circumstances. But don't forget you can always use the money section of askTheSite, or make a new thread, for that.

Here are the questions...

Do you know what the tax we pay is used for?

Are you confident you have the right tax code, and if not would you know how to get it changed?

Are there any issues related to PAYE that you think it's difficult to find information on?

We look forward to your responses. :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Public services (Policing, Education Health) John Lewis food mixers and £10k kitchens ? :D

Are you confident you have the right tax code, and if not would you know how to get it changed?

No idea. I would assume you have to visit the tax office to get it changed.

Are there any issues related to PAYE that you think it's difficult to find information on?

Never looked for any info regarding PAYE. I just accept whatever gets taken out of my wage is tax, even though I dont like it.

:thumb:
    The tax pays for lots of things, including things that I'm not happy about such as the expensive kitchens mentioned above.

I've had 2 letters confirming my tax code so I presume it's right, but I can see that it would be a pain in the arse getting it changed. I'd probably send a letter to them first and then failing that ring them and send some more letters.

I tried to find info on PAYE about a year back. the website was confusing and after I'd spent ages trying to figure it all out, the next budget was released the day after and it was all bollocks anyway as it had changed.

Oh but I never know if the tax is worked out based on what you earn per month or per week, or on your estimated earnings for a year or whatever and then divided up per month/week.

Paying my wages. I thank you all very much. :wave:

I'm pretty sure because I seem to fit with what my allowances should be.

Yes, how can I claim rebates etc for work related expenses - such as clothing/tools of the trade...
    Illegal wars in faraway countries, MPs exorbitant expenses claims, keeping you bastards at the tax office in work and so forth...

Yes, I know what my taxcode is, and I still think I pay too much.

No.
    Its good the HMRC are working with you on factsheets.

Yes, paying my mum (shes a nurse), MPS kitchens and public services inc lots of un-needed middle management.

Yes I do have the right code, but its not always easy for people to get it changed if they need to.

From general/running payroll experince
    1) How tax is worked out, esp the differences between weekly/monthy pay
    2) Understanding of tax codes, especially emergency tax and when it applies
    3)Students paying tax working term time only/holidays only etc.
    4) Tax refunds.
    5) Tax on second jobs.

I agree with the above answers, except for the swearing :angel: :p and would like to add it's also spent on keeping people out of work and on benefits, including alcoholics, drug addicts, teenage mothers, and layabouts. It's also spent on benefits for the children of immigrants who still live in their home countries, and it's spent paying wages I can only dream about to politicians' little darlings who do nothing to earn it.

However I am not sure of the exact proportions.

I know I have the right tax code because I had to get it put right, so I know that to get it changed you need to give your employer's payroll department your P45. If it is still not correct then you need to contact your local HMRC office

Exactly how our taxes are spent, how to claim a tax rebate. I only found out I was owed money for 2006-2007 a few months ago when I rang the local HMRC office about an unrelated issue. They said they were about to post the rebate that very day but had the wrong address for me :eek2:

But yes, this is marvellous that HM Revenue and Customs are giving us this opportunity to communicate with them.
    I hate working a week every month and not getting paid for it :mad:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Thanks guys - I'll forward your thoughts to Cliff and hopefully get some feedback. :)
    Whilst you're talking to Cliff can you ask him when HMRC expect to sort out the tax credit department?

Because at the moment my tax goes to HMRC to fuck things up, me in wages to sort it all out and to the client when HMRC admit they fucked it all up.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kermit wrote: »
    Whilst you're talking to Cliff can you ask him when HMRC expect to sort out the tax credit department?

Because at the moment my tax goes to HMRC to fuck things up, me in wages to sort it all out and to the client when HMRC admit they fucked it all up.

Well he will be reading this thread - so I'll see what he has to say.
    public services inc lots of un-needed middle management.

:wave:

Yes. Lots of things. Benefits, the NHS, education, fire fighters and police, lots of other things too.

Yes and yes.

Well it was a bit hard at first when I had to deal with the tax office ages ago for a rebate, they made me loads of forms but it was okay once I knew what I was doing.
    HunnyPot wrote: »
    I agree with the above answers, except for the swearing :angel: :p and would like to add it's also spent on keeping people out of work and on benefits, including alcoholics, drug addicts, teenage mothers, and layabouts.

But there are a lot of people on benefits who are too sick to work and paying for disabled people to get the care they need. I think the image of people on benefits is a lot worse than the reality. I receive benefits because I am too sick to work and am considered "disabled". If I lived in a country without a benefits system it would be terrible as I don't know how I would afford to live, to buy basics like food and pay rent etc. But the media likes to portray people on benefits as lazy scroungers, I find it's affected my self-esteem quite a lot the way some people regard people on benefits as it makes me feel sad and unworthy.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    But there are a lot of people on benefits who are too sick to work and paying for disabled people to get the care they need. I think the image of people on benefits is a lot worse than the reality. I receive benefits because I am too sick to work and am considered "disabled". If I lived in a country without a benefits system it would be terrible as I don't know how I would afford to live, to buy basics like food and pay rent etc. But the media likes to portray people on benefits as lazy scroungers, I find it's affected my self-esteem quite a lot the way some people regard people on benefits as it makes me feel sad and unworthy.

:yes: which is why I said people on benefits including blah blah blah. I know there are some people who genuinely need and deserve the benefits, like some friends of mine, but I was just pointing out my tax is spent on a lot of people who don't as well.
    I once wrote a letter complaining about the changes to the tax laws

meaning that charities get less gift aid money back when they claim of the inland revenue, when donations are made

because they scrapped the basic 10% rate for the first 5k after your tax free amount, and now just charge you a flat rate of 20% instead of 22%

This also means that people earning less than about 14.5k are worse off, and people earing more than that are better off

I was told that many benefits exist and blah de blah, makes me sad when i realise im worse off, but i dont claim benefits or anything, so in theory contributing more!
    MrG wrote: »
    This also means that people earning less than about 14.5k are worse off, and people earing more than that are better off

£16K actually. And the 10% band still applies if the bulk of your income comes from interest on savings or dividends payments, buts its only for a few very specific examples.

Gift aid dropping from 28p in the £ to 25p isnt good, but I'm just going to increase my monthly charity donations by a couple of quid.
    I reckon me and Jooly know :yes:
    I know that I paid £850 tax last summer that I shouldn't have done, but no one could tell me how to get a tax code that would stop me paying it and I can't get it back til I get a P60 off a different employer, and in the meantime I've missed out on lots of interest.

:banghead: