Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Look, a man taking pictures of Big Ben- call the terrorist hotline!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anyone who knows anything about politics knows that people tend to rally around the government in power at times of danger. The lack of competence of this government in creating the illusion of danger says nothing about the basic premise. Fear is used to get people to vote for you, be it fear of terrorists, fear of criminals, fear of being a bad parents, or whatever else. All of these a legitimate fears, but that doesn't stop the government hugely exaggerating the risks to buy votes, in the same way that a company selling bottled water will exaggerate the tiny risk of tap water being unsafe to sell their product.

Possibly - though most polls show that for security issues people tend to trust the Conservatives more, so Labour increasing how people view the threat doesn't do them any favours.
  • Options
    Possibly - though most polls show that for security issues people tend to trust the Conservatives more, so Labour increasing how people view the threat doesn't do them any favours.
    Can you back that up FG?
  • Options
    Can you back that up FG?

Without looking through loads of polls (which I can't be arsed to google and find) no.

Though I'm suprised anyone challenges it - I thought it was common knowledge (apart from a brief spell during the 90s and early 00's when the Tories weren't trusted on tying together there own shoe laces).
  • Options
    Without looking through loads of polls (which I can't be arsed to google and find) no.

Though I'm suprised anyone challenges it - I thought it was common knowledge (apart from a brief spell during the 90s and early 00's when the Tories weren't trusted on tying together there own shoe laces).
    I just don't see why a majority wou;ld trust the tories qwith security.
  • Options
    I just don't see why a majority wou;ld trust the tories qwith security.

Virtually everything I've ever read on politics put Labour on front on issues like Health and Education and Tories in the lead on Defence and Policing.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    What worries me personally is having someone report me after what happened to the Brazilian. I was late for a train and wearing a backpack at Paddington when I realised that running/moving quickly through the station like several others were doing was a bad move with armed police around. Embarrasingly I had to explain this to my colleague ,a white female, and we agreed that it was better to wait for the next one than risk drawing attention.

sad isn't it, luckily I don't live in a targetable area but I would feel very uneasy about taking genuine pictures in many places but its my hobby I'm not doing nothing wrong.