Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Steve Bennett

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote: »

I don't think pointing a player away compares to making a childish yapping gesture at a referee! Do you expect the referee to sit and take shit from people like Torres? If he didn't sort out the situation there and then, he'd have to listen to Torres and Mascherano having a go at him all game.

He's not english, you can easily tell by the way he's shaking his head that he's asking him why he can't speak up. people liek torres? what are people like torres? is the referee better than torres or something?

If you agree it was a penalty, you also have to concede it was a red card. He was last man and should have gone. Them's the rules.

Yeah but i don't agree, sorry.
    I agree with this.

Which must have been written by a Liverpool fan given some of the comments, but let's look at them all to see if you really read what was said...
    Mascherano should not have kept up his stream of complaints to Bennett that’s true.

... an admission that he should have been booked?
    Torres complained about being repeatedly fouled and was booked!

... an admission that Torress showed dissent?
    Mascherano pointed out how ludicrous that decision was and was also shown a yellow.

... an admission that Mascherano showed dissent and recieved that correct punishment?
    Ashley Cole nearly cut a Tottenham player in two during the week and turned his back on Mike Riley yet was only yellow-carded.

.. an acknowledgement that a mistake was comitted in a previous game and that the referees needed to learn from it?
    The referee that Chelsea and Arsenal had. Much better, what a game!

Why? The Ashley Cole decision was the wrong one, and the Mascareno booking was the right one surely?

I'm glad dissent is being stamped down on actually, gone are the days of thuggish club captains and players running 70 yards to scream in the refs face because they dared to give a penalty agains them :rolleyes:
    The start of the game we dominated, until the refs decisions started coming in and players started to get frustrated.

Yea, you dominated before the red card, despite us scoring, hitting the post, forcing 2 great saves, and should have had a penalty and been a man up. Yup, apart from all that, you definitely dominated. I'm sure Edwin 'cigar and slippers' Van der Sar would wholeheartedly agree with you as well.
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I'm glad dissent is being stamped down on actually, gone are the days of thuggish club captains and players running 70 yards to scream in the refs face because they dared to give a penalty agains them :rolleyes:

Yep. When players stop acting like petulant kids and actually accept the ref's decision as final, maybe that will be the time to stop treating them like kids.
    Which must have been written by a Liverpool fan given some of the comments, but let's look at them all to see if you really read what was said...

... an admission that he should have been booked?

Has someone said he shouldn't have been?

... an admission that Torress showed dissent?
    The question is, is it normal that players get booked for opening their mouths when they're getting kicked about the field? Players are not normally booked like that and it only frustrates them, look at ashley cole and the liverpool match. It will only get worse until the ref uses a little bit of tact and says "hang on, ok i saw ti but you're wrong". Unfortunately he decided to be a cunt and just send people off for it, until he got jelly legs later and was scared to make a decision.

... an admission that Mascherano showed dissent and recieved that correct punishment?

Again, did anyone say he shouldn't have been?

.. an acknowledgement that a mistake was comitted in a previous game and that the referees needed to learn from it?
    Yes, unfortunately, they haven't.

Do you believe in the 3 strikes rule in America where people are sent to jail without any consideration what so ever?
    people liek torres? what are people like torres?

People who show dissent to referees.

Yeah but i don't agree, sorry.

Then you don't understand the rules surrounding last-man fouls.
    Yep. When players stop acting like petulant kids and actually accept the ref's decision as final, maybe that will be the time to stop treating them like kids.

Was it not the refs poor decisions in the first place that got the players like that? Maybe if the it had been a better ref who didn't act like a child who thinks is always right the match would have been a better game of football. This amtch will never go down as a man u domination because of this ref and i wouldn't mind if man u had dominated us but because of the ref we will never know what would have happened and that was echoed by the commentators and the lads in the box.
    People who show dissent to referees.

Then you don't understand the rules surrounding last-man fouls.

I do, i just don't agree, sorry, deal with it.
    Was it not the refs poor decisions in the first place that got the players like that? Maybe if the it had been a better ref who didn't act like a child who thinks is always right the match would have been a better game of football. This amtch will never go down as a man u domination because of this ref and i wouldn't mind if man u had dominated us but because of the ref we will never know what would have happened and that was echoed by the commentators and the lads in the box.

No, beause of Mascherano we will never know what would have happened 11 vs 11. Given that Liverpool haven't scored a league goal against United under Benitez, and have lost 7 of their last 8 in this fixture, I know what side I'd have my money on though. The referee didn't ruin the match, your own players did.

I do, i just don't agree, sorry, deal with it.

So is it the rule you don't agree with specifically, or just this instance? If it's the rule you don't agree with, then that's a completely different debate.
    Has someone said he shouldn't have been?

Oh FFS this is another MattLiverpool discussion isn't it? I forgot.

Erm.. isn;t that what you are doing. You said that the referee ruined the game by sending Mascherano off.

Now you are saying that it was right that Mascherano was booked (his second) and thus should have been sent off.

Make your fucking mind up.
    The question is, is it normal that players get booked for opening their mouths

It should be... and yesterday saw that start of that.

Tell me, do you think it's right that players argue with the referee?
    until the ref uses a little bit of tact

That is the problem, they don't have to. The referee is right. End of story. It doesn't matter if the player agrees or not.
    Yes, unfortunately, they haven't.

Obviously they have because.. erm.. two players were booked for dissent...
    Do you believe in the 3 strikes rule in America where people are sent to jail without any consideration what so ever?

WTF? :confused:

Relevance to football is...?
    Oh FFS this is another MattLiverpool discussion isn't it? I forgot.

Erm.. isn;t that what you are doing. You said that the referee ruined the game by sending Mascherano off.

where did i say that?
    Now you are saying that it was right that Mascherano was booked (his second) and thus should have been sent off.

Make your fucking mind up.

yep, maybe you just haven't read the thread properly. You tend to assume a lot of things man of kent, you do it in all my threads.

It should be... and yesterday saw that start of that.

Tell me, do you think it's right that players argue with the referee?

They need to be able to speak their mind, otherwise you get players becoming increasingly frustrated and even violent, ruining a game.

That is the problem, they don't have to. The referee is right. End of story. It doesn't matter if the player agrees or not.
    No, he's not right, he just thinks he is. I wouldn't mind but torres only asked him why he's being told off when he was kicked to the ground. Yellows should be for fouls, not for disagreeing. It's not football when this sort of stuff happens.

Obviously they have because.. erm.. two players were booked for dissent...
    Lol, watch the reply of torres, how many times do you have to watch it to see torres get kicked to the ground then stand up and try to tell the ref but then get yellow carded. He's supposed to shut up and take it? like i said the manager was already on his way down, they did a split screen showing benitez as it folded out with the match. The expression at the ref decision to penalize torres was "wtf" so he made his way down. Ronaldos face was just laughing, ronaldo even started shouting at the referee the make decisions, unfortunately he wasn't yellowed off the pitch, but the victims are. Great ref!

WTF? :confused:

Relevance to football is...?[/QUOTE]
    Was it not the refs poor decisions in the first place that got the players like that?
    Give me a break. Every decision is a poor decision to a footballer. They act like a spoilt brat whenever anything is given against them, so don't act like it is the result of a genuinely bad decision.
    Maybe if the it had been a better ref who didn't act like a child who thinks is always right the match would have been a better game of football.
    But the referee is always right. That's how sports work. If players were allowed to challenge every decision the game would never finish. Rugby players manage it, so why can't footballers? D'you think rugby referees are always right? No, but the players get on with it like a bunch of adults.
    This amtch will never go down as a man u domination because of this ref and i wouldn't mind if man u had dominated us but because of the ref we will never know what would have happened and that was echoed by the commentators and the lads in the box.
    If it doesn't go down as Man Utd dominating you, then it'll certainly go down as idiotic Liverpool players shooting themselves in the foot.
    Mascherano was rightly red-carded, I can't bel;ieve anyone is arguing that he shouldn't have been. Mouth off at the ref and it should be an immediate yellow card. Football should follow rugby: only the captain can speak to the ref and any dissent is punished by a yellow card and a 20-yard retraction.

But lets see what "punishment" Alex Ferguson and his sidekick Carlos get for their abuse of the referee, the FA, the referee's director and random players who have nothing to do with it.

If it isn't at least treble what Mascherano got (given their combined abuse was about ten times worse) then I think we can safely assume that the FA's bias is definitrely leaning towards the Trafford DevilBowl. I'd be expecting both of them to get a touchline ban for at least until the end of the season, but we all know the FA will give Fergie a one-match ban and a £20 fine like they always do.

The referee didn't change a thing. Liverpool were shit and would have lost comfortably anyway.
    No time to read the full thread but I wonder what the scumites would be saying if it was the other way round??

Bleating on how Liverpool players were being twats, well maybe so but the scum players do it every week! How many times we seen Rooney tell the ref to fuck off??

Mascherano deserved to go, he's not a twat though, he was tooo fired up for this game and when he thinks decisions are going against him he can't hold in his frustration.... I'm exactly the same when I'm on the footie pitch!

Torres yellow was harsh IMO which in turn led to the Mascherano 2nd yellow, but I reckon Mascherano would have got the 2nd yellow eventually anyway.
    The ref was just a joke, frightened to make decisions against ronaldo for diving and rooney for swearing yet gives torres a yellow for asking how he made a foulw hen he was kicked to the ground.

consistency please? steve bennett shit ref?
    The ref was just a joke, frightened to make decisions against ronaldo for diving and rooney for swearing yet gives torres a yellow for asking how he made a foulw hen he was kicked to the ground.

consistency please? steve bennett shit ref?

That's not why Torres was booked. He made a yapping gesture at the referee. That's why he was booked. You also have no idea what Torres said. Your guess is as good as mine. For all you know he could've been asking for our players to be booked. Asking for bookings is a bookable offence in itself.

You don't seem to be able to grasp these simplicities though, so you're almost not really worth debating with.
    But Benitez added that his players were frustrated at the treatment handed out by United's defenders to striker Fernando Torres, who was also booked for questioning one of Bennett's decisions.

Torres was taken off near the end of the game for his own protection, according to Benitez and the club are currently awaiting the results of scans on injuries sustained at Old Trafford

Benitez said: "Torres had some knocks on his ribs and ankle, a lot of knocks and a lot of kicks. I was just trying to protect him. The doctors will do a scan, and we will see.

"Was I disappointed by intimidation of Torres? Maybe I should ask others for their opinion. I have my own opinion, which was very clear.

"We have seen a lot of
    It has emerged, however, that the root cause of Liverpool's anger and frustration at Old Trafford was the treatment meted out to Torres by United defenders.

Kicked through out the match and yellow carded for protesting.

Great ref!

You're so clever addict!
    You think that if you copy and paste some crappy press report which also has no idea what was said, that it proves something. Man, you're so clever. :thumb:

So Torres can't handle the rough and tumble of the big games. Ronaldo was getting kicked about by your defenders all game as well, but United just got on with the match and scored 3 goals. That's the way to do it. :D
    LOL Ronaldo goes down if you brush past him so don't even go there. Torres is looking at bruised ribs and still gets back up without moaning until he gets a foul against him, so he opened his gob and got booked.

Just glad he took wes brown clean off his feet about 3 times after it, funny as fuck, ref was too scared to say anything then because he knew he'd lost any consitency.

There was an echo of laughs here when you say Ronaldo was kicked and got on with it, please, did you even watch the game?
    LOL Ronaldo goes down if you brush past him so don't even go there. Torres is looking at bruised ribs and still gets back up without moaning until he gets a foul against him, so he opened his gob and got booked.

He would have gotten away with it if he hadn't made that petulant gesture. The referee hadn't gone near his cards until that happened. Only got himself to blame really, doesn't he? Just like Mascherano.

There was an echo of laughs here when you say Ronaldo was kicked and got on with it, please, did you even watch the game?

Well, I know that Ronaldo didn't go into his shell and cry off like Torres did. If I remember right, Ronaldo scored, so I can't fault his commitment to the cause or his ability to take the rough with the smooth. He's the most fouled player in the league by a country mile, but he's also the top scorer in the league by a country mile. Make of that what you will. Torres has scored most of his goals against the cannon fodder and only has 2 league goals away from Anfield. He likes it on easy street. ;)
    He would have gotten away with it if he hadn't made that petulant gesture. The referee hadn't gone near his cards until that happened. Only got himself to blame really, doesn't he? Just like Mascherano.

Got away with what exactly?

Well, I know that Ronaldo didn't go into his shell and cry off like Torres did. If I remember right, Ronaldo scored, so I can't fault his commitment to the cause or his ability to take the rough with the smooth. He's the most fouled player in the league by a country mile, but he's also the top scorer in the league by a country mile. Make of that what you will. Torres has scored most of his goals against the cannon fodder and only has 2 league goals away from Anfield. He likes it on easy street. ;)

Torres didn't cry off though did he, he walked away and floored 3-4 of your players later on like a legend. The decision to book torres was a joke, everyone knows it except man u fans, you're deluded as usual, you support a team that's only existed for 15 years anyway.

Hmm yes that's why Man U tried to kick fuck out of him. You really are deluded if you think torres is not the top player.

You're probably right that Ronaldo is the most fouled but that's because whenever anyone comes near him he hits the deck incase he has to reapply his hair gel. He was "fouled" against us too enar the box, but all our players were 10 foot away, still got the decision. That's where Gerrard told the ref what a mug he is.
    Got away with what exactly?

Getting away with receiving a booking of course. Keep up!

Torres didn't cry off though did he, he walked away and floored 3-4 of your players later on like a legend.

He can be a 'legend' and go round flooring players in big games his whole career if he wants. Let's see how many big matches Liverpool win as a result of it. I prefer my 'legends' to score goals and win big matches, rather than go round hacking people. ;)

The decision to book torres was a joke, everyone knows it except man u fans, you're deluded as usual, you support a team that's only existed for 15 years anyway.

United have actually been in existence longer than Liverpool FC, but I didn't expect you to know that either. I think you'll find that most people (including non Man United fans) have been welcoming these bookings for dissent, rather than thinking they're a 'joke'.

Hmm yes that's why Man U tried to kick fuck out of him. You really are deluded if you think torres is not the top player.

Depends what you mean by the top player. I don't think he's the top player by any stretch of the imagination.
    Getting away with receiving a booking of course. Keep up!

Again.... a booking for what? :rolleyes:

He can be a 'legend' and go round flooring players in big games his whole career if he wants. Let's see how many big matches Liverpool win as a result of it. I prefer my 'legends' to score goals and win big matches, rather than go round hacking people. ;)

I thought you said he was crying?

United have actually been in existence longer than Liverpool FC, but I didn't expect you to know that either. I think you'll find that most people (including non Man United fans) have been welcoming these bookings for dissent, rather than thinking they're a 'joke'.

Guess you missed the point i meant by existed. Google torres booking and you'll see what people think! unlucky!;)

Depends what you mean by the top player. I don't think he's the top player by any stretch of the imagination.
    Oh well, guess i'll have to just make dow itht he 100,000 people who voted him on yahoo
    Again.... a booking for what? :rolleyes:

Dissent! Jesus Christ, do we have to break it down to the basics every single post? Keep up!

I thought you said he was crying?

Metaphorically. He did cry off though. Must be one of these guys who likes to dish it out, but can't take it back. ;)

Guess you missed the point i meant by existed. Google torres booking and you'll see what people think! unlucky!

I googled 'torres booking' and was presented with a page full of lovely Spanish hotels and villas that I can book online! Cheers for that, but I'm not interested in Spanish holidays. Unlucky. :thumb:

Oh well, guess i'll have to just make dow itht he 100,000 people who voted him on yahoo

Yes you do that. And when Ronaldo is picking up PFA Player of the Year and Football Writers Player of the Year, Torres can console himself with his Yahoo player of the Year award. :lol::lol:
    Dissent! Jesus Christ, do we have to break it down to the basics every single post? Keep up!

Sorry, the effort wasn't there, i meant the foul. Dissent is very questionable too, his body language points to him wanting to know why he is being booked, a referee book has many loopholes to justify pretty much any decision. You call it dissent, i call it being kicked about and wanting to know why the ref is ignoring it and fouls against him. Hopefully you have some initiative to understand what i'm getting at? Keep up!

Metaphorically. He did cry off though. Must be one of these guys who likes to dish it out, but can't take it back. ;)

Make your mind up. Imagine walking up to a ref saying " but metaphorically", lol. You're off the pitch son!:wave:
    I googled 'torres booking' and was presented with a page full of lovely Spanish hotels and villas that I can book online! Cheers for that, but I'm not interested in Spanish holidays. Unlucky. :thumb:

I guess you're just not built for intelligence. Or should we say i was.... metaphorically speaking? ........nah doesn't cut it does it :(

On the other hand after looking at it for the first time myself, i found this. If you don't need a holiday stop banging on about one because we're not interested!

Yes you do that. And when Ronaldo is picking up PFA Player of the Year and Football Writers Player of the Year, Torres can console himself with his Yahoo player of the Year award. :lol::lol:

Haha, if only you were talking about the PFA in the first place. :thumb:
    Sorry, the effort wasn't there, i meant the foul. Dissent is very questionable too, his body language points to him wanting to know why he is being booked, a referee book has many loopholes to justify pretty much any decision. You call it dissent, i call it being kicked about and wanting to know why the ref is ignoring it and fouls against him. Hopefully you have some initiative to understand what i'm getting at? Keep up!

His body language? Does that include the yapping gesture he made to the referee then? That's why he was booked. Stop trying to ignore the basics because they don't fit your purposely naive 'he was only asking what was going on' theory.

Make your mind up. Imagine walking up to a ref saying " but metaphorically", lol. You're off the pitch son!:wave:

What has Torres crying off got to do with that? As I said, he likes to dish it out, but he can't take it. That's why Liverpool can't win the big league games.

I guess you're just not built for intelligence. Or should we say i was.... metaphorically speaking? ........nah doesn't cut it does it :(

On the other hand after looking at it for the first time myself, i found this. If you don't need a holiday stop banging on about one because we're not interested!

You told me to google 'Torres booking', hoping that it would somehow vindicate your position in this debate. I googled it and found nothing to vindicate your position. You were wrong. Nice hotels though. ;)

BTW, your link leads to a red cross in a box. Well done, again.

Haha, if only you were talking about the PFA in the first place. :thumb:

I wasn't talking about anything. You said Torres was the top player. I disagreed, but obviously the Yahoo poll proves me wrong. :lol::lol:

Scrap the PFA awards, scrap the FIFA awards, we've got a poll on Yahoo!
    I googled it and found nothing to vindicate your position. You were wrong. Nice hotels though. ;)

BTW, your link leads to a red cross in a box. Well done, again.!
    Scrap the PFA awards, scrap the FIFA awards, we've got a poll on Yahoo!

Sorry Matt, but I think you've been owned :lol:

Link?