Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a job seems impossible

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, just got rejected for a job again... for probably the 6th time this week.. so thought I'd get it of my chest, a bit of a rant if you will :)

In the last 2 years, I've had 3 jobs.

The first one being the ultimate studenty job = McDonalds. I left them on good terms, gave them notice and worked it.

The second being a call centre based job, working for Vodafone. I tried to get them to put me on to a part time contract so I could go to uni after the summer and still work there. They kept saying "We're looking into it". It got to the point where I forgot to hand in notice, and just couldn't work any more. So obviously left on bad terms with them.

The last job was McDonalds again, I went back to the same branch due to needing cash. The managers were being c*nts at the best of times. Made me hate going to work, one day I just stopped. In all fairness, I should have gave warning, but I was dreading going to work there.

Now, I've been trying to find another job as I have car insurance to pay, rent to pay and virgin media to pay, but everyone ... and their dog... seems to want to reject me.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. When filling in application forms I fill it in as honestly as possible, whilst highlighting the parts which I think the employer may be most interested in.

My CV isn't fantastic, especially with McDonalds on it... Twice, but I'd have thought the variety of that job would be good (Between Cleaning, Customer Service, Cooking, Hygene and Deliveries / stock control) I'd have thought it'd be perfect for places like ASDA / Tesco, but even they reject me.

Now I don't think I'd mind getting rejected so much if someone actually said "look, this is what you're doing wrong." instead of "unfortunately, at this time your application has not been successful".

I try to look at my previous work history in the eyes of my employer. The main problem I see is the fact I've had 3 jobs in 2 years, but I try to explain the situation on the application form / CV so they understand why.

Been trying for about 2 months solid to get a job, with on average about 10 rejections a week, so it's getting me down a bit.

To top if off, I did manage to get one job, but it was mis-listed. Data Admin Clerk , 24k a year, but wanted me to leave uni. Decided to stay at uni in the hope that I get a better job when I leave, but is it really worth the struggle I'm having to go through?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lie.

It always helps. Make everything positive, even if there is bad stuff you can just fill it in with answers like 'i had some personal family problems but am happy to say that I have overcome them now and they no longer affect me'.

I have somehow managed to get a job at a huge company in the centre of london with a really crap CV and experience. Although the interview did go well I think that all this stuff is just luck. Have you tried the jobcentre?

But i completely sympathise as I know how frustrating it can all get. you will get there just got to keep going with it all. Maybe try and do voluntary work to boast your CV.

Also look on the net and maybe search for agency's; they can put you on their books and then find you paid work to fill your time, and there are humdreds, have a look on the net for ones in your area. There are some agency's that take school leavers and people with know qualifications, so if your at uni then you should look better. Why do u want to leave uni? Degrees are always more attractive.

Antwa, point is that theres always a way round it - just keep going. You will get there :)

xxx
    I try to look at my previous work history in the eyes of my employer. The main problem I see is the fact I've had 3 jobs in 2 years, but I try to explain the situation on the application form / CV so they understand why.

I think you're drawing too much attention to it then.

Took me a year to get a job... But I finally found the right combination of CV, letter and interview technique and got exactly what I wanted. So don't give up hope.

It is extremly competitive out there; and it's not usually a reflection on you if you get 'rejected' as you put it. There just happens to be someone who seems more suitable for the job than you. So make yourself the most suitable person for the job.

If it's a part time job you're after until you leave uni; flatter the company by saying that you are after some experience in the world of work while you are still studying, in the hope that you can stay on with them afterwards and progress through the company to a role with more responsibilty.
    im 21 and have never worked. why, cos i left college, but with no experience with work, no one wanted me! so i know how u feel, altho since u have had a bit of experience, i cant see why employers wouldnt want you. i personally dont even eat at macdonalds let alone even think of working there, but everyones different. i really hope you find a decent job that you are at least half happy with, employers r such twats and they dont know a good employee when they see it!
    ArcticFox wrote: »
    I also keep on changing my mind about what industry I want to work in from IT to motor vehicle and conservation to MoD.

Life is so sh!t when you can't get what you really want.

well it helps if you know what you want.
    are you still at uni?