Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Credit checks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it possible to get a job these days, other than cleaning toilets or working in a field, unless you've got perfect credit?

Apart from missing a few months payment on a mobile contract last year and going over my bank overdraft, I've never had any credit problems yet every admin/call centre job i've applied for have rejected me because of a failed credit check. Fucking ridiculous, considering the way to get my credit rating back up would be....to take out credit!

With that and drugs testing becoming ever more common, getting a job is being made more and more difficult for a shitload of people. :mad:

Comments

• Options
    i've honestly never heard of prospective employers carrying out credit checks, how weird.

altho drugs testing is fair enough.
  • Options
    Same here, I really can't see why that's any of their business as they'll be paying out money not taking it from you...
  • Options
    a credit check, for a job? Is that even legal? Are you sure they're checking your credit not something else?
  • Options
    a good search threw up this:

http://www.annualcreditreport.co.uk/declined-credit.htm

which states
    Credit checks are also performed when you apply to rent a house, flat and, in some cases, it?s required by law that employers must search you before giving you a new job.

you must have real problems and may be worth checking with one of the credit reference companies cos i have a friend who got a job just after being made bankrupt, so it cant be that strict...
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    a credit check, for a job? Is that even legal? Are you sure they're checking your credit not something else?

Yeah, it's legal if you give them permission - and if you don't, they won't consider you. All financial companies I know of do this, but it's not just banks etc now -even admin jobs I've applied for require you to pass a credit check.

It's bizarre, supposedly it's because how well you manage your own finance is going to be a reflection of how responsible you are as person. Which, of course, is bollocks. People have bad credit often through no fault of their own.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Every bank does it as do the majority of other call centres, seems routine these days when you have access to financial information of people.
  • Options
    bugger!
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Every bank does it as do the majority of other call centres, seems routine these days when you have access to financial information of people.

:yes:

I temp for a bank and had to agree to a credit check as part of my job application. Its policy for a lot companies now, and for some jobs I can see why.