Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

unprotected sex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:banghead: :banghead:

hi all, im new to the site, so go easy on me :blush:

i'm really desperate for some advice so here goes..

i had unprotected sex with my bf on monday and tuesday, but each time he came, he withdrew.. and each time, i wiped myself down there, and got into the shower to wash everything away/ off.

im due my period next week..

what are the chances of pregnancy?

thanks in advance

x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes, but there is a chance whenever you have sex (not that im preaching abstinance)

basically there is more of a chance you are pregnant than if you had used a condom

BUT less of a chance you could be than if he hadnt pulled out...
    ohh that just confused me, i hope i helped :)
    You still have time to sort out emergency contraception http://www.thesite.org.uk/sexandrelationships/safersex/contraception/emergencycontraception
    Do it now and you'll greatly reduce your chance of getting pregnant.
    thanks for your replies, i tried clicking on your link and it didnt work :no:

erm, i asked a mate of mine about the withdrawing method, she said she's been using it for 2 yrs and hasnt got pregnant =/

lol kisses thanks for your reply, and yeah i clocked it myself, didnt confuse in the slightest..coz it was my train of thought anyway :)

anyone got anything else?
    The page isn't working... sorry. google cache gives me:
    "Emergency contraception

If a condom fails, a pill is missed, or you simply get carried away and have unprotected sex, women still have options to protect against pregnancy.

What is it?

Hormonal methods of contraception intended for use by women who have had unprotected sex. There are two forms: the emergency pill and the IUD device.

How is it taken?

The emergency pill is usually taken in two doses. The first must be taken within 72 hours (three days) of sex, and the second 12 hours later. However, Levonelle-2â requires the two tablets to be taken together, preferably within 12 hours and no later than 72 hours after unprotected intercourse. (NB: The original version of Levonelleâ is still taken in two doses, so check which type you have first.) Single dose emergency contraception is now emerging, too. It is currently most common to find the single tablet option in pharmacies, although NHS services will soon be catching up. Whether you receive a single tablet or two tablets, the methods are equally effective because the dose is the same.

Most types contain levels of synthetic oestrogen with progestogen - hormones that are similar to those found in the body - and work by preventing the egg from being implanted in the womb.

"45% of you who responded to TheSite.org's Sexual Health Survey have used emergency contraception."
    The emergency pill shouldn't be regarded as a contraceptive choice like the condom, diaphragm or The Pill. This is because it can only be used occasionally to be 100% effective. Instead, consider it as a fail-safe should something go wrong with your chosen form of birth control.

(Note that if you're unable to use an oestrogen-based hormonal contraceptive, ask your doctor to prescribe a progestogen-based emergency pill.)

The IUD (or 'coil') is a small, copper device that must be fitted inside the uterus by a doctor within five days of unprotected sex. It works in the same way as the emergency contraceptive pill and must be worn until your next period (when you're sure you aren't pregnant). It can also work as a contraceptive (but will only protect against pregnancy and not sex infections). Always discuss this with your doctor first if you're considering it as a regular contraceptive method.

Other essentials

You might hear people refer to the emergency contraceptive pill as 'the morning after pill', which is misleading. The fact is it can be taken up to three days after unprotected sex, but no later.
    Some women who take the emergency pill may experience short-term side effects such as dizziness or nausea. If vomitting occurs within two hours of taking a pill, see your doctor. This is because the pill is absorbed into the body via the digestive system and throwing up could mess with its effectiveness as a contraceptive. Drawbacks to the IUD include a risk of heavy periods, spotting and possible pelvic infection.
    Neither the IUD or the emergency contraceptive pill cause abortion. Both methods work by preventing the egg from implanting in the womb - whether or not it has been fertilised.
    Availability

Both the emergency pill and the IUD are available freely from a doctor at your local surgery, sexual health clinic, GUM centre or Brook Centre. The emergency pill is also available over the counter from selected chemists. In every case, it's vital that you seek help fast to keep your options open."

You can get the emergency contraception pill free or buy it from a chemist and you are within time to take it now. It si more effective the sooner after sex you take it so I would recommend getting your skates on.
    well, if you did not use any kind of contraception there would be no way I would not get tested. Pregnancy is _not_ only caused by the glory shot in the end.
    If you are not planning to have kids anytime soon, I would not bet my money on the withdraw-method...
    if your friend hasn't got pregnant only using the withdrawal method for two years she is VERY lucky. the fact that she hasn't is no guarantee that you won't.

I'm sorry to sound dull but the withdrawal method is not contraception!
    where do i get the pill for free?
    What country are you in?
    There's every chance you could be pregnant. Emergency contraception such as the morning after pill is your friend in this situation.

The "withdrawal method", as you call it, is so rubbish a form of contaception that it doesn't qualify as one. Use condoms, the pill, the femdom - anything else, frankly. As for where you can get free condoms and pills, it depends entirely on where in the world you are.
    Acrobat wrote: »
    What country are you in?

im in london/essex

do boots do it for free?
    t0x. wrote: »
    im in london/essex

do boots do it for free?

Yes - though most pharmacy's will also - but you need to go ASAP like before the shops shut tonight really
    Have a phone around the pharmacies, see if they do it for free, or try a time4u type place, and if all else fails, get an emergency appointment at your GPs this evening. The longer you leave off taking the morning after pill, the less chance it has of working, get your skates on girl- one afternoon of hassle is less trouble than an unwanted pregnancy.
    i phoned around and found a pharmacy that i can get it from.
    i can't actually nip out and get it now, its closed :banghead:
    im going to go for 9am tomorow morning..
    thankyou all so much for your replies. :)
    how/ when will i know if its been effective?
    argh
    :banghead:
    I'm pretty sure that you need to take it within 72 hours of the first time you had sex in order for it to be effective - so tomorrow morning will be too late if it was on monday. There should be a late night pharmacy in your local area which you can get it from - even if you have to pay its not that much and is much cheaper than having a baby. Does your local sainsburys not have a pharmacy?

You will know if its been effective if your next period appears on time then it will have worked - if it is late then then it is likely you are pregnant and you should take a pregnancy test to confirm if you are or not.
    Try your GP or nhs direct to see where else you could get it from sooner. It's about £20 when you buy it, worth the money if it comes down to it.