Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

i've given myself food poisoning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
but i've still got it after 5 days.

(i reheated some takeaway rice :( big boo boo!)

Nausea, sickness, diahorea, i'll be fine for a little bit (2 hours or so) i'll eat and then have diahorea or throw it all back up again. I've taken Imodium, but i don't want to go to the docs over food poisoning...

anything else i can do?

i'm also toying with whether i should go into college or not tomorrow...i'm really behind

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't take immodium! You're stopping your body get rid of the toxins. Drink plenty, eat plain things if you can, and let it flush itself out. If no joy, then yeah, see a doctor. 5 days is a pretty long time!
    You tried NHS Direct if it's that bad?

Is that bad? I've done that a few times and turned out all right.
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Drink plenty, eat plain things if you can, and let it flush itself out.

Sip still water, lots of plain food and if you can get them some plain live yoghurts or drinnks (actimel/yakult) can help ease your stomach.

Ring NHS Direct and if it still hasnt gone in a couple more days go and see your GP.
    NHS direct told me to go to A&E with constipation....

I'm not dying, i just suffer a bit more cos of my IBS i suppose...

are rehydration salts a good idea then?
    you need to drink plenty of fluids - and try to replace lost salt and sugar. if you can try drinking flat cola or squash (full fat stuff not sugar free!!)

its often recommended that you should drink a pint of water with about a dessert spoon of sagar and a pinch of salt mixed in - you will be losing energy and salts as well as fluids - or maybe get someone to buy you some dialoryte from the chemists

depending on what is causing the food poisoning things can get worse or there could be complications - id say if youre not better by friday go to the doctors OR if you get any worse.

and stop the imodium unless you really really need ut - as others have said it'll only keep in what should be passing out!
    Agree with Kaffrin, stop taking Imodium.

Antibiotics sometimes, but not always, helps ease bacterial diarrhea.

When to seek medical advice
    If diarrhea persists beyond five days or if you become dehydrated — as evidenced by excessive thirst, dry mouth or skin, little or no urination, severe weakness, dizziness or lightheadedness, or dark-colored urine — see your doctor. Also get medical help if you have severe abdominal or rectal pain, bloody or black stools, a temperature of more than 101 F, or signs of dehydration despite drinking plenty of liquids.- Mayo Clinic
    Everyone has said it all! I feel so bad for you, I had the flu not too long ago that was just like that :( Once I was able to leave the bathroom I found that a probiotic yogurt smoothie helped alot.
    soooo many people eat re-heated rice, and you shouldnt.
    Heating it 'wakes up' a spore that lives on rice, and no amount of heat can kill it.
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Heating it 'wakes up' a spore that lives on rice, and no amount of heat can kill it.

oh damn. Never had a problem with it and I eat re-heated rice once every two weeks (approximately). Never heard of that. Can you back that up with a link or something. I'd like to read more.
    Actually it doesn't have anything to do with reheating, its about storage. If you leave it out in room tempature long enough bacteria can grows at that tempature. Reheating does not cause the bacteria to grow. I eat reheated rice once or twice a week for lunch :lol: I'm so sad with cooking.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredible/xCS1makeaheadrice.html
    http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/nutritionessentials/starchfoods/
    http://www.foodaq.com/html/General/123947.html
    http://www.communityfriend.co.uk/food/cooking_questions.html#question_5
    Sikorah wrote: »

Food poisoning from rice is very bad but as long as you store it right, i.e. don't let it fester for ages in a warm room then it should be fine for reheating. If it was that dangerous i'm sure china wouldn't have had the need for the one child policy.
    The bacteria that causes food poisoning from rice is Bacillus cereus, its fairly well known but as you say loads of people re-heat rice with no ill effects but it is something to bear in mind

http://www.hpa.org.uk/infections/topics_az/bacillus/fp/fpmenu.htm

there is data on that link about the number of cases and they seem to be quite low BUT these will only be reported and confirmed cases, im sure plenty of people get sick but dont go to the doctor/environmental health about it.
    we store our rice in a tupperware box just in some drawer at usual temperatures. We never caught anything yet.

god bless uncle ben.
    storage of cooked rice not dried rice is the issue
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I'm aware of the problems with reheated rice but do it all the time anyway. At least once a week.
    Curry and chinese takeaways do it all the time and you just don't know about it.

Still that's harsh. Don't got to college if your ill. Go to the quack instead.
    Weekender Offender 
    diddlybop wrote: »
    storage of cooked rice not dried rice is the issue

oh alright... thanks.
    I was told about not reheating rice when i was doing a food safety and hygiene NVQ. It was quite a few years ago! im mistaken in my understanding, sorry. I know that re-heating does not kill the spores on the rice, but i assumed that meant they were 'dormant' when rice is cold, but theyre not.
    but i've still got it after 5 days.

Nausea, sickness, diahorea, i'll be fine for a little bit (2 hours or so) i'll eat and then have diahorea or throw it all back up again. I've taken Imodium, but i don't want to go to the docs over food poisoning...

anything else i can do?

i'm also toying with whether i should go into college or not tomorrow...i'm really behind

Hiya,

Try taking some andrews but with warm (not hot) water, rather than the standard cold water. It really helps to settle the stomach after something like this. About a year ago I caught that nanobug that was going round and I had it really bad (vomiting, diahorea and all the rest). Taking the andrews really helped me and I recovered a lot quicker.