Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

will i be fined?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey.
After a lot of drinking last night I found myself cuffed and in the back of a riot van. They said it was because I was swearing and generally being rude. As i was being cuffed the copper said that it had cost me £80 as I would be being fined. He then said i was arrested and told me my rights, and went off for five minutes. The copper in the front said i might not get fined, but when the first one came back he asked for my name, number and address. I was uncuffed and sent on my way.

I'm just wondering why they asked for my details? Will i be fined. I haven't told my mum and i don't want any type of letter getting pushed through the door.

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jelly tots wrote: »
    Hey.
    After a lot of drinking last night I found myself cuffed and in the back of a riot van. They said it was because I was swearing and generally being rude. As i was being cuffed the copper said that it had cost me £80 as I would be being fined. He then said i was arrested and told me my rights, and went off for five minutes. The copper in the front said i might not get fined, but when the first one came back he asked for my name, number and address. I was uncuffed and sent on my way.

I'm just wondering why they asked for my details? Will i be fined. I haven't told my mum and i don't want any type of letter getting pushed through the door.

Thanks

It depends excatly what happened, which since you was intoxicated i'm guessing you won't find it easy to recall.

I think what they were getting at regarding the fine would have been a Fixed penalty notice. But bizarrely considering they are supposedly a quick and simply solution for drunk and disorderlys, cannot be issued if the person in question is intoxicated, meaning that they spend a night in the cells anyway until they are sober enough to receive one, which makes the situation no quicker to deal with!

From what i can make out from what you said you were never taken to custody, in which case i think it's the end of the matter, you were arrested, and de-arrested on the street, your details were taken purely for their reference so if they deal with you again that night, or over the weekend they can confirm where and when and why they have spoken to you before.
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    It depends excatly what happened, which since you was intoxicated i'm guessing you won't find it easy to recall.

I think what they were getting at regarding the fine would have been a Fixed penalty notice. But bizarrely considering they are supposedly a quick and simply solution for drunk and disorderlys, cannot be issued if the person in question is intoxicated, meaning that they spend a night in the cells anyway until they are sober enough to receive one, which makes the situation no quicker to deal with!

From what i can make out from what you said you were never taken to custody, in which case i think it's the end of the matter, you were arrested, and de-arrested on the street, your details were taken purely for their reference so if they deal with you again that night, or over the weekend they can confirm where and when and why they have spoken to you before.

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes I was drunk, but I do remember what happened. A very good friend of mine was going crazy because his mate had been arrested and was flaring up and trying to stop the police cuffing him. I told him to apck it in otherwise he would end up in the same situation. He wouldn't listen so i kept pushing him away and swearing at him to leave it. The police then went for him (to arrest) and i stupidly told them to fuck off and leave him alone, so was arrested myself.

I wasnt taken into custody. Just made to sit in the back of the van while they dealt with him and got my details. Then i was uncuffed and went back in the club. If thats all they took my details for then thats ok. Can't be doing with my mum finding out
    A PND or a report for summons can be issued at anytime, not necessarily when you've been detained. I'm surprised you weren't arrested, and it's unlikely that you'll be issued with either now, although not a guarantee. But as Mr Orange said you cannot be issued a PND whilst drunk.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    A PND or a report for summons can be issued at anytime, not necessarily when you've been detained. I'm surprised you weren't arrested, and it's unlikely that you'll be issued with either now, although not a guarantee. But as Mr Orange said you cannot be issued a PND whilst drunk.

I had a narrow escape then I reckon! I've never been in trouble with the police before so I've been worrying loads
    they would normally give you a slip of paper, i they have issued a fine.

sounds like they just arrested you to calm the situation down, and take numbers away from the scene.
    olaola wrote: »
    they would normally give you a slip of paper, i they have issued a fine.

sounds like they just arrested you to calm the situation down, and take numbers away from the scene.

Well, my fingers are crossed that this is the case. It's not just the fact that my mum would find out, but also the fact that £80 is a lot of money when you are totally skinted!

It does my head in that my intentions were good, and I end up getting into trouble.
    Not meant in a nasty way at all, but intentions being good, and swearing, dont go well together, especially when the cops are about.
    MrG wrote: »
    Not meant in a nasty way at all, but intentions being good, and swearing, dont go well together, especially when the cops are about.

Yeah, I know and appreciate what you're saying. I shouldn't have got as worked up as I did. Just frustrated I guess. Meh, so long as I'm not going to get any comeback, I can just forget the whole thing and just consider it luck!
    Some good advide for the future, if ever one of your friends does something to attract the attention of the police, and you're drunk, keep well away. As you can see you might be trying to help, and in your own mind you're being totally reasonable, but in reality you're probably doing the opposite.
    Some good advide for the future, if ever one of your friends does something to attract the attention of the police, and you're drunk, keep well away. As you can see you might be trying to help, and in your own mind you're being totally reasonable, but in reality you're probably doing the opposite.

:yes: i totally agree. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!!

Exactly, whether you mean it or not you should always be polite to a copper.
    budda wrote: »
    Exactly, whether you mean it or not you should always be polite to a copper.

Yeah, I've learnt that! I do think they make matters worse a lot of the time though. Once i was cuffed he was so cocky, that it made me angrier. He was more or less laughing in my face, and just wouldn't let me fight my case at all.

I've just been told also by a mate that her friend was arrested in the same kind of situation as me and had an information pack about paying her fine come through the post :shocking:

Do you think it's worth telling my mum and forewarning her in case i get anything. It's a catch 22 because i really don't want her to know unless she has to. I don't want to say anything and nothing happen!
    yeah in my experience the police will try to wind you up on purpose

keep you waiting, be rude etc etc

all the tricks to either provoke you into admitting something or worry you into it etc

hope you haven't had anything through!
    if your mum doesn't open your post, you don't need to tell her anyway, not unless you want to.
    Hey, Not had anything through so I'm off the hook. Was speaking to someone who knows about the law and was told that they only take your details so that they can run you through the system to see if you're wanted or have a record and the suchlike. So I'm fine!!!
    phoenix24 wrote: »
    yeah in my experience the police will try to wind you up on purpose

keep you waiting, be rude etc etc

all the tricks to either provoke you into admitting something or worry you into it etc

hope you haven't had anything through!

I'm not, i'm a model of politeness :D
    it really does just depend on the certain policeman/woman

even watching those shows on tv about police and binge drinking yadda yadda, you get one who'll let people shout all over the place/start a fight or numerous fights/be abusive to the police and people around them yet they'll be allowed to walk on

then you get the next person who swears once or falls over cuz he's drunk and gets locked up for the night and fined 80 quid :chin: :chin: