Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help - CV bears no relevance to the job!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all
I'm applying for a job that I'd really, really like but none of the jobs I've done in the past (including my current one) has any relevance to it - at all! So my question is, what should I put on my CV? In the covering letter I've mentioned all the other stuff I've done (outside work) that does relate to the job description, and applied some job-specific stuff to it where I can (i.e. I've mentioned that I'm good with computer based stuff, have done office admin blah blah - stuff which may be included in the new job), but it seems ridiculous listing in detail on my accompanying CV all the stuff I do in my current job which the employers probably won't even understand let alone care about. I'm a bit stuck :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Write a skills based CV then, if none of your work experience is relevent. Think about what skills you will need for the new job, list then with a couple of sentences evidence for you having those skills.
    Cheers for the reply, that's kind of what I've done with the covering letter though - not sure whether I should repeat myself..? Could I get away with just a quick summary of each job I've had then a couple of bullet points listing the skills they've provided me with that might help in the new job?
    Take it out of your covering letter, that should really be a dead short introduction of yourself, not instead of a CV or independent from it. Make your covering letter just a short couple of paragraphs saying what you're applying for, and why maybe where you heard about it. Say thanks looking forward to hearing from you. K?
    Really? All the jobs I've gone for before, the covering letter has been about addressing the job spec and relating your experience directly to it....whereas the CV is just a basic listing of the jobs you've had and what your responsibilities have been. The job advice/careers websites I've been looking at today have all said that too :confused:
    I guess sometimes it depends on the job. If they've asked specifically for a covering letter, it should be that more detailed thing. But doesn't it make sense that if you're sending a CV your cover letter should be to get their attention and the CV should hold your details?

Anyway, I'd certainly do it that way round. You avoid repeating yourself as well.